X GPS problems

wjones21

Reaction score
I have been having the same problems with my GPS. 95% of the times, I have trouble getting a signal while I am indoors.

I think a GPS needs a clear view of the sky to get a signal.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Yeah that's what people have said to me before, but I never had that problem with my iPhone. I've also made my friends pull out their phones while we're out and everyone consistently gets GPS, except me. Figures.

Natey2

Reaction score
... but my wife's phone always has her in some other part of town.

Settings, Applications, Development:
Is "Allow Mock Locations" checked?

Natey2

Reaction score
I never had that problem with my iPhone. I've also made my friends pull out their phones while we're out and everyone consistently gets GPS, except me. Figures.

Not all GPS hardware (chipset) and software that uses it was created equal. :)

When I had a Windows mobile phone, Microsoft's Bing would correctly initialize and start locating me immediately, while Google's app would not. But once initialized by Bing, Google's app would work fine.. until the next phone reboot.

3 ways a phone identifes your location, in descending order of accuracy:
GPS
Cell tower triangulation
Wifi

Some (iPhone?) apps can auto switch between the 3 quietly to try and best locate you on a map.

Big_Ron

Reaction score
I have the issue I told it to take me to DC to the air port and it had me in the water
Is this a app issue or a delis x issue

Natey2

Reaction score
I have the issue I told it to take me to DC to the air port and it had me in the water
Is this a app issue or a delis x issue

Try Waze.
Free, and it has turn-by-turn voice prompts.

[email protected]

Reaction score
DROID X GPS not working, it has nothing to do with added app.

I would think that GPS chip in the HTC incredible is very similar with the Droid X, not suprise if it's came out of the same factory.

HTC incredible:

works as it should, in downtown SF works ok when near window.
usually locks down to 10 feet (not meter).
works in side a house with 50 feet accuracy out side of big city.

Droid X tested in the same area of the HTC incredible:
works whenever it wants to.

solution seems to help are:
pull battery and wait a few mintues.
rotate the units.
hit it on your plam.

Question: all those who has GPS problem did your calibrate compass works, did you manage to get it to green? when GPS doesn't work, and I was using a app(gps test) it saids that I am traveling at 0 MPH but I was like driving over 60 MPH at the time.

I don't have any app that was added by me so it should have anything to do with other apps.

Task killer? Well, just be sure it doesn't kill the GPS app.
jli

R

RETG

The electronic compass is not needed for GPS fix. GPS has no idea what direction you are pointed in. It needs movement to tell that, and can only assume you will continue in the same direction. It works via triangulation to determine where you have been and that can tell it what direction you are going it. But if you make a 90 turn, GPS does not know that until you start to move.

A compass will tell you direction when standing still.

There are tons of GPS devices on the market that don't even have a compass. So, there is no need to calibrate a compass for GPS direction, it is worthless.