X GPS problems

Goalier95

Reaction score
The only problem I am having with GPS is that the phone seems to lose the GPS frequently and it goes back to the menu screen and I have to hit "Navigate" often.

This is happening to my navigation too. I even installed the google maps app and it still was "closing" on it's own. Just started doing it today, so hopefully they'll be able to fix it on with a new update.

OP
kdw11005

kdw11005

Reaction score
I do have the navigation dock and the car charger for it. I went to vzw yesterday with my mom (for a phone for her) and figured I would ask about gps on DX. He told me (after a search of thier computer system) there are no problems with gps on the DX reported. I told him as many people that are having problems on here, I find that hard to believe. He them proceeded to tell me "Oh, you know how the forums are...one person has a problem then suddenly every little thing that happens to everyone else's phone is suddenly because of the same problem, even though it's not and they have nothing to do with each other. It's like that game gossip". I told him I didn't care what he had to say and I do believe what I've read other people saying on here with the gps problems because they are just like mine and they posted them first. When you're using gps and then it just says gps signal lost for no reason and you have to get out of it and go back in it for it to work about another minute before it does it again THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG! And by the way he didn't report my gps problem. He told me it was an app on my phone that was most likely causing the problem and I needed to do a factory reset. I told him I never had a problem with my D1 navigation and I have all the same apps as on that phone. He then told me that was the problem, those apps were designed to work with the D1 and they were designed before the DX so they work differently with the DX and that's the problem. So according to him I'm guessing I should do a factory reset, wipe my phone clean and then my gps will work. I guess I'll just have to install apps that say they were specifically designed for the DX....oh wait THERE'S NOTHING THAT SAYS THAT!!!!! I do read comments before I install apps, to see if it's worth installing and to see if others that have the same phone as I do have had problems with it, if they do I don't install it! I'm sorry for going on a rant but I thought everyone should know about this since soooo many people are having problems with thier gps.

OP
kdw11005

kdw11005

Reaction score
Ok I've found that if I put in the address and put it in navigation mode THEN put it in my nav car dock it works fine with no problems of it losing a signal. However now it has the nav sreen up for about 2 minutes then the nav screen disapears and the blue navigation symbol is on the notification bar, I can bring it down that way but after about 2 minutes it does it again. I changed the screen timeout to 30 minutes and that didn't change anything, still have the screen disapearing after about 2 minutes. Any ideas? I do have it plugged into the charger while navigating.

themuttt

Reaction score
I do have the navigation dock and the car charger for it. I went to vzw yesterday with my mom (for a phone for her) and figured I would ask about gps on DX. He told me (after a search of thier computer system) there are no problems with gps on the DX reported. I told him as many people that are having problems on here, I find that hard to believe. He them proceeded to tell me "Oh, you know how the forums are...one person has a problem then suddenly every little thing that happens to everyone else's phone is suddenly because of the same problem, even though it's not and they have nothing to do with each other. It's like that game gossip". I told him I didn't care what he had to say and I do believe what I've read other people saying on here with the gps problems because they are just like mine and they posted them first. When you're using gps and then it just says gps signal lost for no reason and you have to get out of it and go back in it for it to work about another minute before it does it again THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG! And by the way he didn't report my gps problem. He told me it was an app on my phone that was most likely causing the problem and I needed to do a factory reset. I told him I never had a problem with my D1 navigation and I have all the same apps as on that phone. He then told me that was the problem, those apps were designed to work with the D1 and they were designed before the DX so they work differently with the DX and that's the problem. So according to him I'm guessing I should do a factory reset, wipe my phone clean and then my gps will work. I guess I'll just have to install apps that say they were specifically designed for the DX....oh wait THERE'S NOTHING THAT SAYS THAT!!!!! I do read comments before I install apps, to see if it's worth installing and to see if others that have the same phone as I do have had problems with it, if they do I don't install it! I'm sorry for going on a rant but I thought everyone should know about this since soooo many people are having problems with thier gps.

I went to a Verizon store yesterday looking to replace my D1 with the DX, and talking to the sales guy there, this IS a known problem that is supposed to be fixed on 2.2. He knew it was a known problem because both his and the store's demo phone have this exact issue.

I am ordering my DX today dancedroiddancedroid

Crimsongost

Reaction score
I was having all thoes issues when i was running 2.1 Since i installed 2.2 the works like a dream. no cut off issues . no issues where i can see addresses i have put in before for only a flash. no loosing signal issues no batter drain leaving on GPS antenna.

Unknown2U

Reaction score
GPS Problems

My wife and I both have the Droid X. When using foursquare the GPS can usually find me after about 2 refreshes, but my wife's phone always has her in some other part of town. We've rebooted the phone, unchecked assisted GPS, rechecked it and still it puts here in the wrong location.

Even under google maps this happens. Anyone else experiencing this?

GramboShmambo

Reaction score
Droid X GPS

Yes I have the same problem. I've had the phone for about 3 or 4 weeks and its always had that problem.

I went to Verizon about 2 weeks ago and explained the problem and they brought it in the back and said they fixed it... They didn't. Then yesterday I brought it to another Verizon and when I was in the store, it actually worked and displayed me in the correct location. They said they couldn't do anything if it worked... Of course the one time it works is in the Verizon store.

So frustrating.

Unknown2U

Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm afraid will happen when I take my wifes phone in. Plus the hassle of having to swap the phones.

groovejedi

Reaction score
Step 1. Uninstall Task Killer
Step 2. Ignore anything and everything that anyone at Verizon says.

:icon_ banana:

groovejedi

Reaction score
Yes I have the same problem. I've had the phone for about 3 or 4 weeks and its always had that problem.

I went to Verizon about 2 weeks ago and explained the problem and they brought it in the back and said they fixed it... They didn't. Then yesterday I brought it to another Verizon and when I was in the store, it actually worked and displayed me in the correct location. They said they couldn't do anything if it worked... Of course the one time it works is in the Verizon store.

So frustrating.

Don't ever hand your phone to anyone at Verizon and certainly don't let them take it in the back out of your site.

Unknown2U

Reaction score
No Task Killer

Unfortunately my wife does not have Task Killer installed on her phone, neither do I.

Any other suggestions?

Ralffers

Reaction score
Do you have all three options check under location. I just used my gps all over the country (over 5000 miles driving) and it worked great.

How did your X not overheat?? Mine gets so hot that it stops accepting a charge. Others are having this ssue as well, from what I''ve read on this forum.

wjones21

Reaction score
I have been having the same problems with my GPS. 95% of the times, I have trouble getting a signal while I am indoors. I did a hard reset on my phone and that did not solve the problem. VZW offered to send me a new phone in the mail, but after researching this issue on the net, it seems like a new phone won't help.

I saw one user suggested using the android power tool settings as opposed to the motorola gps toggle switches. I'm going to try this and see if it fixes the problem.

Natey2

Reaction score
I have been having the same problems with my GPS. 95% of the times, I have trouble getting a signal while I am indoors.

I think a GPS needs a clear view of the sky to get a signal.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App