WTK: how to backup original theme......

K1196A

Reaction score
Finally trying the theme changes - how do I backup the OEM gingerbread theme prior to applying a new one?

Rooted/Deodexed Gingerbread on DX.

(Sorry if this has been beaten to death previously)

turdbogls

Reaction score
make a nandroid backup through clockwork mod. you can always flash the original gingerbread theme over the newly themed version tho and you shouldn't have to wipe or anything.

i had issues with my nandroid tho, it bootlooped, so i dont know what to tell ya. never had a bootloop after restoring a nandroid.

OP
K1196A

K1196A

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I have the D2 bootloader on my DX and it says something about "clockwork." I'm hiding what you are referring to is a full mod?

turdbogls

Reaction score
ok, you have D2 BOOTSTRAPPER (not bootloader) open that up, tap bootstrap recovery, grant super user permission, hit OK, then tap reboot recovery. this will boot up into clockwork mod recovery (black screen with green wording) use the up/down volume to go down to backup/restore, hit the camera button.
go to backup, then go to yes. and it will work its magic and make a full system backup (basically a snapshot of your phone so when you restore it, everything will go back the way it was when that "snapshot" was taken)

then you should be good to go. but like i said, i had bootloops when i restored a GB backup...not sure if it was a fluke or what, but it didn't work the 1 time i did it.

OP
K1196A

K1196A

Reaction score
Ahhhhh - PERFECT and DONE! THANKS!

So from here if I do a theme and want to reverse to stock I can just restore that backup (or more recent version there of). Is that the plan?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

turdbogls

Reaction score
Ahhhhh - PERFECT and DONE! THANKS!

So from here if I do a theme and want to reverse to stock I can just restore that backup (or more recent version there of). Is that the plan?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
that is correct, boot into clockwork from the bootstrap app, restore/backup>choose restore> and select the one you want. they are sorted by date by default, but you can go into clockworkmod/backups folder and rename them to whatever you want just so you know what you are restoring.

80hd

Reaction score
i had issues with my nandroid tho, it bootlooped, so i dont know what to tell ya. never had a bootloop after restoring a nandroid.

were you restoring across versions (ie from 588 to 477)? Trying to move back via nandroid has only ever caused problems for me.