WTH Verizon

Lizx3

Reaction score
I have to rant about this somewhere okay.
On 30th September I bought two Droid 3's for my dad and I. His phone was doing a bunch of weird things from the start and I kept telling him to take it back to get it replaced but he has been sick and didn't feel like standing around the store for another hour. Well anyway on Thursday the CPU in my dad's phone fried. It killed the phone and the battery. Now keep in mind I just paid $200 for this phone 3 weeks ago. We have the phone insurance and it hadn't even been a month so we took the phone to the Verizon store expecting them to see that the phone is broken and give us a new one.

Now after arguing with the sales lady for 15 minutes about how the Droid 3 does not in fact come with an SD card, she informs us that she will be sending us a REFURBISHED phone because it has been longer than 14 days. Nowhere on this receipt does it mention that if your phone has a hardware issue and breaks on the 15th day, you will be paying twice as much to end up with a refurbished phone.

This lady then continued to argue while periodically screaming YOU NEED TO CALM DOWN for another hour while furiously typing away and printing out long receipts before we could leave. I just wanted to ask her, "are you going to get fired if you don't spend 45 minutes return-exchanging the screen protector and then another 45 return-exchanging the battery?"

Seriously what is up with this? I had my LG Voyager replaced five times during the 3 years I had it and the only time I got a refurbished phone was when they no longer carried it at their store. Okay rant over.

cece5702

Reaction score
Did u get a new phone? The exact thing happened to me and I called verizon on the phone and they sent me a brand new phone not refurbished. They first made me do a hard reset on the phone and they realized there was a defect with the phone

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
L

Lizx3

Reaction score
Nope didn't get a new phone...they are sending a refurbished one. I called Verizon on Thursday and the guy told me that if I did it over the phone I would first have to send the phone in so they could inspect it and it would take 3 weeks to get a new one but if I went to the store they would give me one the same day, so that is why we decided to go to the store. But I just got off the phone with them again and they said that other guy was full of crap and that if I had done it over the phone they would have just gone through a list of questions to verify that the phone isn't working and then sent me a new one with new battery and screen protector. The guy also said it was the manager's choice to give us a new phone or not and I guess she decided she would rather argue with a sick old man than admit that the Droid 3 doesn't come with an external SD card. I am definitely never going to that store again and I'm going to file a complaint.

celtic11

Reaction score
Not sure what your deal is but verizon is just following policy. Its their policy to only issue a brand new phone within 14 days of purchase and after that they issue a certified like new refurb. So maybe you were in the wrong getting upset with the customer service rep for doing her job correctly and if you had been polite and respectful maybe it would have gotten you somewhere.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Last edited by a moderator:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Aside from the language, celtic is correct. The policy is after 14 days you get a refurbished product. It is in the contract you signed.

Sorry, but that's the story. I would suggest putting the device through the wringer, once you receive it.

OP
L

Lizx3

Reaction score
That lady was rude and patronizing from the moment we walked into the store. She is the one that started arguing about where the phone's non-existent external sd card was and then started arguments about the battery and screen protector. We just wanted to get a new phone and leave! My "deal" is that I paid $200 for this phone not even a month ago! I essentially just paid double for a used phone. That does not sit well with me

celtic11

Reaction score
Aside from the language, celtic is correct. The policy is after 14 days you get a refurbished product. It is in the contract you signed.

Sorry, but that's the story. I would suggest putting the device through the wringer, once you receive it.

My bad

celtic11

Reaction score
That lady was rude and patronizing from the moment we walked into the store. She is the one that started arguing about where the phone's non-existent external sd card was and then started arguments about the battery and screen protector. We just wanted to get a new phone and leave! My "deal" is that I paid $200 for this phone not even a month ago! I essentially just paid double for a used phone. That does not sit well with me

Why did you pay double? Submitting a warranty claim shouldn't cost you anything.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I think that 14 days is too short of a time, especially since Verizon:
- doesn't consider shipping time. Your 14 days starts when it leaves a VZ shipment center. If you send it back for a new one, your 14 days are ticking away.
- doesn't reset if you send your phone back for a new one. It would seem fair to give you a one week deadline if you send it back in time.

From now on I will:
-wait until all of the big bugs have been uncovered
-wait for it to be well-stocked in stores so I can exchange for new more quickly
-try to treat these VZ customer service people with some respect despite the fact that VZ is kind of evil and they personally aren't as knowledgeable as I am about my phone

Willie_gs

Reaction score
When my x2 decided to hit the floor (literally) the warranty company sent me a new one.($100). But it was my fault. But then they (warranty co) decided to drop me cuz it was my second claim in leas than a year. Had to replace my omnia cuz it stopped working. ($50).
Isn't that something. And it was during 2 contract periods.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums