Wtf?

snappingfish

Reaction score
too old for humor?

I get why people use such abbreviations when texting (160 character limit) and instant messaging (for faster response to keep the conversation flowing), but why on a discussion forum?

If you're using a full keyboard, have a character limit that's either in the 1000's or non existent, and response time is usually minutes or hours or even days, then why not spell it out? It's one thing to abbreviate commonly used terms within the general subject matter of the forum (BB, VZW, DF, etc) but to abbreviate the actual conversation?

I guess I'm just getting old.

[not picking on you specifically snappingfish, just the whole online abbreviation thing in general]

Ok, I'm done... Carry on. :)

<sarcasm>
Me thinks you are harsh on an old man.......
BMTJM

(but maybe thats just me?)
</sarcasm>
:icon_ lala:

JimmyD

Reaction score
I get why people use such abbreviations when texting (160 character limit) and instant messaging (for faster response to keep the conversation flowing), but why on a discussion forum?

Well... the whole "CSB" (Cool Story Bro) abbreviation actually was born from a very popular online meme that has been circulating on many webforums over the years.

People would post up this meme when a thread seemed to be pointless or going nowhere. So the OP (original poster) was assuming someone in here might post up something to that "CSB" effect, but instead, it just created this sub-discussion! :icon_ goofy:

It's this one......

cool_story_bro.jpg

Which then spawned many copy-cat memes that were equally amusing.....

Cool_story_bro_interesante_historia_ese.jpg

24paifxa8.jpg

super-cool-story-bro.png

QGD.jpg

Riveting_tale_chap.jpg

Cool_story_sis.jpg

cool_story_troll.png

Last edited:

brando56894

Reaction score
I havent had this happen to me but if and when it does I know not to freak out about it!

csb = Cool Story Bro
jw = Just Wondering

never heard of that one before and im only 24! btw those pics are pretty funny, especially the "riveting tale, chap!".

If you're using a full keyboard, have a character limit that's either in the 1000's or non existent, and response time is usually minutes or hours or even days, then why not spell it out? It's one thing to abbreviate commonly used terms within the general subject matter of the forum (BB, VZW, DF, etc) but to abbreviate the actual conversation?

I guess I'm just getting old.

[not picking on you specifically snappingfish, just the whole online abbreviation thing in general]

Ok, I'm done... Carry on. :)

I'd say its force of habit for many of us in the younger generations, I know I'm guilty of doing it.

OP
M

MotoFreak2772

Reaction score
Yeah I sent that from my phone on the way to school the day this happened. So sorry about the accronyms if it caused a problem for anyone.. I had my phone since December and it is not rooted. It hasn't happened since so I should be fine. Has anyone figured out what causes this? I wont care next time seeing as it fixed itself the first time.
The "Rivetting Tale, Chap" is halarious. I haven't seen that one before haha.

koralyne

Reaction score
In reality, if someone gives you a cool story bro, its a veiled insult at you telling you they REALLY dont care about what you're talking about.