1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

WTF!!! Sholes mod and setcpu killed my droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mr_tigolbitties, Feb 12, 2010.

1. mr_tigolbitties

mr_tigolbitties New Member

Im about to tear down the walls in my house i am so pissed. Have to leave for work in a half hour and just installed the sholes mod and setcpu. Tried the autodetect function on setcpu and now my phone will do nothing but turn on and off by itself and freezing. Runs like total a$$. What is wrong what do I need to do to optimize performance? Im not very familiar with linux so im kinda lost here guys. I consider myself decently tech savvy but what the hell is up here.
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Let's move this to the right sub-forum.

And no one is forced to do the Mod... So chill a second and explain what happened and I am sure someone will help.
  3. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Pull your battery. Now hold 'x' on the physical keyboard and power on your Droid. Select backup/restore.... restore simple nandroid backup. See if that helps first.
  4. JRogers1978

JRogers1978 New Member

I would reboot into recovery and restore the backup that sholes should have made.
  5. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

This is the kind of thing that I was talking about when I said that Sholes Updater made it too easy to root your phone and have people **** it up.

I am about 100% sure his phone is not permanently ****ed up, but if he had done it manually, step by step, he would know exactly how and what to do in regards to restoring the phone to a working condition via Nandroid.

If I'm wrong and the OP did indeed install it manually, then I will gladly apologize for jumping to conclusions.

Good luck to the OP.
  6. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Wow....this is kinda making me think I shouldn't recommend this app to all the newer ones that need an easier way to do all this stuff...this is shocking to see...

I wonder what caused this?
  7. Martin030908

Probably what caused it is the same as me... tried to OC to 1ghz and wound up in a loop. Only difference is I'm aware of the steps to take to resolve the problem....
  8. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

It's not the app per se, it's most likely user error (no offense to the OP). The difference is, anyone can find Sholes on the Market for 5 bucks and not do a single bit of research (and some are the opposite, they research despite the fact that they can use Sholes) and when they run into problems, it's easy to freak out because it is marketed as an easy way to root your phone. And it is. But you still need to have a bit of knowledge of what you are doing and do research.

If you do the process manually, each guide I have seen explains about how you are making a backup and how to restore it. The SM Updater says "attempting Nandroid backup" but it doesn't give you instructions on how to restore it should you run into issues.
  9. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Case in point of someone that researched despite having SM Updater at his fingertips and can easily ascertain what the problem most likely is...or at the very least how to restore the phone so it will work while he is going to work.

Again, no offense to the OP. Post everything you did and let's get you off and to work with at the very least a working phone. :)
  10. mark729

mark729 New Member

All droid are not the same.
    some droid might be unstable for overclock.....some other not...
  11. Martin030908

I have read every 'how to' root tutorial (including yours Matth3w) here and on other sites. I completely understand the premise, what every step does, why and how, I just chose Sholes because I didn't want to deal with command prompts. LOL That's all.
  12. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yeah I guess that is what has happened...but it just seems that using the SMUpdater app should almost be user-error free...wouldn't you think?

And I was assuming that all Droids were stable at 1GHz, but nothing higher...
    But I guess I'm wrong!! lol

EDIT: I take that last part back.....Sholes won't let me go higher than 950MHz
  13. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Oh yeah I know, that's why you are a perfect example of how people SHOULD do it. I didn't mean to say that all people that used SMU were clueless, just that it makes it easier for clueless people to use it.
    Well you would think, but there is no way the team at Sholes can predict what things users will do wrong, what apps they have installed, etc.
  14. HMJB

HMJB New Member

Definitely...all droids aren't built the same.. matter of fact, there's a few people who can chug along just fine on 1.3 where some people cant even handle 1k

Just how it is :)
    Sholes does have 1k btw...

Edit.. To add on to this, Sholes' app should really add "Restore to last backup" as one of the options and it'll be a real complete tool for the noobs/lazy.
  15. Freddy Chevy

Freddy Chevy New Member

Preparation prevents piss poor performance basically like everyone has said read up on what your getting into even if you don't think you will need it maybe could've saved the op's blood pressure.
  16. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

The only way you can screw up the shoals update, and I too say no offense to the OP but it has to be user error. It's just so easy to use.

I admit that I had Martin on board the first time I flashed but after that everything was easy. I don't think I could have screwed it up if I tried.
  17. cplus

cplus New Member

Sooo true.
  18. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Seems the OP is MIA....
  19. Martin030908

Hooray for ME!! Lol
  20. cplus

cplus New Member

Or at work?