Wtf is up with my screen?!

P2CInc

Reaction score
Great googamooga, it's 4:31am. And I'm at my wits end...

Backstory:: Approximately 20 hours ago, I awoke to find my Droid resting quaintly on my pillow. I am, on average, extremely careful with my Droid. I have been head over heels in love with it since I got it less than 3 months ago. So I instantly freak out, thinking the worst.

I have had minor issues before with my screen, but nothing that couldn't be resolved just by putting it in sleep mode, taking a lint-free cloth, and cleaning the touch screen. But this morning I found what used to be an occasional glitch now fully perpetrated into an all-out SPAZZ ATTACK for my beloved device.

Problem(s) :: The touch screen is barely registering the unlock upon hitting the power button, and if I manage to get past this then the pull-up menu twitches, shakes, scrolls and selects apps at random. The pull-down notifications bar doesn't come down when I want it to (i.e. checking email/text notifications), and DOES REACT usually when I'm in the middle of texting or closing out apps.

Trial and Error :: I've just about done all I can think of to try and remedy the situation since it became apparent. I've cleaning the screen with a lint-free cloth (as previously mentioned, was the remedy before this episode), taken off my case and wiped any and all edges of the screen, checked to see if by having "laid" on it if there are any marks or indentations on the screen entirely (NONE FOUND), and even disassembled the battery compartment and let stand without use for an hour and more. I've even gone so far as to replace my screen protector with a brand new one (just replaced the other one about two weeks ago, I'm obsessive about smudges or scratches). And last, powered down/restarted my precious Droid over and over and over again. All this, still, to no avail.

There is no water damage. There is no superficial/cosmetic damage. It wasn't dropped, it wasn't crushed under a meteor, and has periodically returned to working order for brief 5 minute instances (just to re-infuriate me when it starts goofing again).

I know this is long-winded but I really can't afford to buy a new one, or the $80 charge. I figure maybe since it's still under 3 months old Verizon shouldn't give me a hard time about it?

Any help, or advice, or correspondence, or ANYTHING could really help. As for now, my beloved sits, glitching on my nightstand. Thanks in advance.

(SPECS:: Stock Motorola Droid; all apps installed from trusted sources via Market; no previous water/fall damage; no illegal software installed; no viruses/malware detected when ran LookOut Mobile Security)

sbursik

Reaction score
Go to the store and get a refurb. This is getting to me more common and has happened to me too. Its hardware. Sucks huh?

I got no grief from them and since you have had it less than a year your covered so it shouldnt cost you anything.

JMU_Droid

Reaction score
Taking it to Verizon to get a replacement is always an option. They shouldn't give you a hard time, and it's a pretty straight-forward procedure. But before going this route, I'd try a factory/data reset of the phone first. I'd also recommend using astro file manager to back up all of your apps so you don't have to redownload all of them from the market after your reset.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Couple of things........ First what kind of charger are you using??? Make sure you are using your wall charger that came with the phone. Many times people get second chargers from those kiosks in the mall and they are not motorola chargers. Those "replacement" chargers also cause troubles not sure exactly why but they do. A replacement charger fried my husband's droid but not before it made the droid appear possessed.

Do you have an app killer installed??? If so, dump it. I have seen many times where the app killer has caused a lot of freaky things to happen. The way these phones are designed you really do not need an app killer anyways.

Finally do a factory reset and see what happens.

Hopefully one of the above will fix your situation before you have to go and get a refirb from Verizon.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just do the factory reset and if it still freaks out, take it to Verizon. There is nothing else to do. Mine did it and a few people I know had theirs do it also. It is a hardware issue that has nothing to do with the apps/roms/root/etc that your phone has. It also doesn't matter if you have babied your phone or abused it. It happens to all types.