WTF is going on w/ my battery?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Bildo818, May 13, 2010.

1. Bildo818

Bildo818 New Member

I am getting so fed up with this - I went from 2.1 to cyanogen with root access - Started seeing a crazy decrease in battery. I installed set cpu -- and started messing with overclocking. The past few days I've been reading into Bugless Beast and went ahead and instead that because some have said positive things about their battery life -

Well...mine f'in sucks - I mean, I turn my screen on, and see a decrease of 10%....What am I to do? I've installed several kernels, tried all different settings in set cpu --- Bugless beast should be regulating my kernel and processor speeds from what I read. But it still sucks. Literally. I've done away with most my widgets for fear of this happening. I am seeing 10% droppage in battery like every hour of lite usage. And I mean, internet browsing ONLY while at my desk at work.

Any suggestions?
  2. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Do a full wipe 2x or 3x and then reinstall Bugless Beast v1.0 and the 800Mhz kernel to start with. DO NOT install SetCPU or any task kilers/memory managers and see how it goes for a few days. If the problem still persists we'll troubleshoot some more.
  3. microsnook

microsnook New Member

Im having the same issue.
    But, If you install the 800 MHz kernel, isnt it useless w/o setCPU?
  4. Bildo818

Bildo818 New Member

Noob question ---- Do I just do cache wipes or factory resets? --- then in regardless to reinstalling --- Do I go back through Rom Manager?
  5. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Do a wipe of Data and Cache 2x to 3x. The install BB v1.0, ensure it boots, backup, wipe cache and install 800 Mhz kernel.

Now as to the 800Mhz kernel without SetCPU. No it is not useless. The ROM has a script in it that does all the throttling and scaling of the processor without the need for SetCPU. Assuming these are the Bekit kernels in the BB v1.0 OP. Now with that being said once everything is done and all up and running give it 3 days to see how things go through regular use.
  6. Bildo818

Bildo818 New Member

^^^Do I do it through Rom manager though again? --- My problem is the process - When I download through rom manager - It allows me to wipe once, then goes right into the install --- Do I go through my recorvery first and do the wipes? Then through rom manager? Or do I download them separately? I like ROM manager because it allows me to install the kernal, theme and ROM ---

Also, what about a factory reset? Sorry for the dumb questions --- But it seems like you may be able to help and are posting quickly, and I really do appreciate it.
  7. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

I apologize that I am unfamiliar with ROM manager. I am a bit old school SPRecovery and ADB. With that being said if you can wipe data/cache through recovery once before doing it through ROM manager I suggest do it that way. For whatever reason, and it may be anecdotal, multiple wipes prior to fresh install seems to do the trick.
  8. Bildo818

Bildo818 New Member

OK awesome...will try --- Actually will be doing it right now - Rom Manager is pretty sweet. I am new to the rooting scene - But it seems to be just a nice UI for a recovery - Lines everything up for you and then goes into recovery to get everythign done - With Rom manager - I can line up them to do a wipe, install a ROM and then a them all at once.
  9. Bildo818

Bildo818 New Member

What about a Juice defender? I've read good things about that. And you know what, I just remember I installed a 1.1 ghz kernal oops----
  10. microsnook

microsnook New Member

Does this also apply to Cyanogenmod?
    I did a new install, but havent wiped anything yet. I dont want to, but I will if it means better battery life....
    Also, I removed setCPU in hopes of it helping my battery.

Im going to see how it does and if it needs to be wiped, etc, then I am going to wipe.
  11. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

No juice defender, no nothing. BB V1.0 with 800mhz kernel. That's it.
  12. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

No. This only applies to Bugless Beast v1.0 running a bekit kernel that is listed in the BB v1.0 OP.
  13. microsnook

microsnook New Member

Ok, gotcha.
    So what would you recommend for me on CM?
    Ive heard that other versions (1.5.1a) of setCPU work better w/ the batter life.
    Install an older version and maybe do a wipe?
  14. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

From everything I have been reading about the setcpu problems you can remove current and try an older version. The other option is to update to the newest which is said to address the issue as well. Last option would be wipe and reinstall if neither works.
  15. microsnook

microsnook New Member

Ok, thank you
  16. Bildo818

Bildo818 New Member

YUp....all wiped and installed and flashed - Removed set cpu and seeing how that works - I am anxious to see if there is a difference - Please bookmark this thread though and don't forget about us!! ;-)
  17. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

No worries. I am subscribed to this thread. If for some reason I don't get an update just send me a PM.
  18. Bildo818

Bildo818 New Member

OK - First day results ---- I fully drained my battery last night by running multiple apps and then did a full charge with a wall charger -

Turned my phone on around 10:10 this morning. Said OK --- turned everything off but my brightness to 60% --- Went onto facebook and was looking at photos and message posts - Now at 11:00, my battery is showing 80% ... :-( Really? 20% for facebook?
  19. Explosivpotato

Explosivpotato New Member

Seems to me you're on track for nearly 5 hours of solid use using the screen AND data connection. What did you expect from a smartphone?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  20. Bildo818

Bildo818 New Member

^^^well if you are telling me that is normal than thats great :) From what I read people are getting like crazy 24 hours worth of use and these super steroid batteries that are getting me jealous. So if this is normal, then no worries. But others have said that this isn't normal with the roms and kernals I'm being told.

So Im just checking --- no need for harshness - This is a community, and this is a help forum