WSJ: Verizon IPhone Confirmed!!

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by markwebb, Oct 6, 2010.

1. rcali001

rcali001 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    I am with you on this definitely!

...sent from my Droid 1 using tapatalk

2. delcopa

delcopa Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I totally agree! I had the original iPhone then the 3G then the 3GS and I sold my 3GS's shortly after and switched to Droid, then just upgraded to the Droid X. At first I was missing some of the features of email with Exchange like moving to folders or having all my email not just 30 days max. But now got those features and more with the Droid X.

Granted alot of issues came from ATT's network dropped calls, slow, etc. Wife kept her iPhone off 3G cause when on it would drop calls at home. Got tired of having to Jailbreak it just to use things that Apple wouldn't allow in the App Store.

Droid is way better for network, and open source so things that Apple will never see like Flash, and streaming slingbox over 3G you can do on Verizon. I know some people will go back to iPhone I know one and he hates the new iPhone is already looking at switching back lol. A lot of people switched from iPhone to Droid cause they were tired of the issues and problems. I also like being able to have insurance on my phones which you can't have on iPhone. Like last month my droid went for a swim and didn't like it but put in a claim and got another one. iPhone replace yourself cause water isn't covered and you pay full price for new one.

3. coondogg97

coondogg97 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Im an Android user, not a BB user. The Droid Pro was a let down to me. As I said it is MY humble opinion. Im sure some of the ex-BB users will really like the Pro. With all the speculation in the last 8 months about the Pro, the last thing I think ANYONE expected to see was a BB-knock off.

And what exactly are the big new features that you are waiting for in Gingerbread?

4. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the whole UI is supposed to be completely revamped. Google hired the head of WebOS design and judging from how smooth and sexy WebOS is I can't wait. Not to mention that Google is also supposed to be adding some GPU support in the UI similar in how iOS handles the UI to make it much smoother. Of course there are the improvements and changes that Google hasn't let out of the bag yet so I am sure there will be some nice treats coming along as well.

5. DroidJT

DroidJT Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's a pretty strong statement considering most credible sales projections include the "multiple carrier" scenario for the iphone. Although your 2 month sales leap statement might make sense due to the existing Verizon holdouts and Att haters that are wanting to switch, you're still saying that the 30 new Android models coming over the next year won't be able to keep up with analysts' prediction of 10m/year new Vzw iphones?? (Consider the Galaxy S just sold 5m in 2 months on 4 carriers). Basically, I disagree -- see Gartner Research on Mobile OS sales (Gartner Says Android to Become No. 2 Worldwide Mobile Operating System in 2010 and Challenge Symbian for No. 1 Position by 2014). They are not the #1 research company in the world for no reason.....:)

6. UNC

UNC Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Notice I said "in the us", samsung sold 5 million Galaxys world wide, and I don't believe they've sold that many anyway, thats probably just shipped units. Its not like I've seen galaxy s sold out at any store. IPhone4, sold out at every store.... yeah I stand by my prediction.... now if the CDMA iPhones also go to China Mobile... then IOS will be overall leader.

7. UNC

UNC Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    ALL shareholders only care about money.....

8. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly off topic but very pertinent to this discussion is the release of GoogleTV yesterday. The fact that it runs Android, is tightly integrated into Dish Networks DVR, including the Sling enabled ViP922 and with high end Android handsets and soon tablets coming I think this will cause an iTunes effect. In essence, I have GoogleTV in my TV or have a setup box like a Logitech Revue, I can get a nice Android handset that integrates tightly. My DVR, the ViP922 has Sling and I have a Sling player app on my Android handset/tablet. I now have a fully integrated experience ANYWHERE whether it be in my home or on a train. This will cause people to modify their purchasing habits to get the most out of their technology. Similar to how the success of the iPod led to increased sales of the Apple Mac.

Not to mention that the Android Market will be available on all GoogleTV sets in 2011. So that means a HUGE HUGE additional market for devs and users alike. We have only seen the beginning of this one. It already has Chrome with FULL Flash 10.1 and HTML5 support and I have confirmed the DLNA media player as well as was stated earlier in this thread. Couple that with oooh say... Quick Office, Angry Birds, Need For Speed, FIFA Soccer, etc.. plus any number of new apps and integrated interactive web portals similar to the ones already being offered and Android phones will not only continue to sell but may, due to GoogleTV, increase in sales even further.

9. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    i only care if this effects the development of android in any way... i like it the way it is with the competition boosting every android phone and really trying to best each other

i in no way am interested in getting an iphone or any apple product.... its such a dueche company from the top down

10. xpezdj

xpezdj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They can't release the information yet because think about all those angry ATT customers. They all will not renew contracts and leave them for verizon, that is against apples and ATT exclusivity (sp) rights.. read that at another site

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. UNC

UNC Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    You're betting on GoogleTV? Seriously?

12. rgn2000

rgn2000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    AppleTV is also coming that will have apps. This will be an even bigger war between Google and Apple. I for one would like to see Iphone everywhere but Verizon. The big question is what carrier will get the premier android phones if Iphone comes to Verizon? Moto may say screw it and not give Verizon the best phones anymore. I have been with Verizon for 20 years, but I am glad I am doing year contracts, because if all these Iphone zombies piss me off or better android phones do on a different network I will be forced to switch.

13. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Betting on it? Hell I can all but guarantee it is a wild success. It will be available as a set top box as well as integrated into multiple HD sets available right now from Sony but Samsung and Panasonic will be following suit soon enough.

EDIT: Looks like LG is on board as well and Vizio may soon follow. So that just leaves Philips? LOL! Remember this will be integrated with the TV itself and offer the same features as the set top boxes. All that is left is the Google Car and Google Plane.. sorry looks like Android has already started the aerial invasion!

http://gizmodo.com/5644547/android-may-be-taking-over-airplanes-too

14. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Comparing AppleTV to GoogleTV is like comparing a Ferarri to a Volkswagen. AppleTV just offers simple rental access to shows for .99 cents a pop. It has NO integration of way to integrate with a HD DVR, it has a simple controller, not a wireless keyboard/touchpad combo like GoogleTV. There is NO web interface or searching or for that matter Netflix integration. It requires a separate HDMI input and doesn't use the same one that your HD DVR uses so it cannot talk to it. Not to mention that there is no DLNA support on it where on GoogleTV there is so you can stream from ANY PC or DLNA source directly to GoogleTV. No Flash 10.1 support or full browser like Chrome. Lastly no interactive web portals with major networks already signed up and more coming. Not to mention Boxee and Hulu Plus will be signed and ready in a couple of months for GoogleTV as well. No comparison at all.

15. Tillyswilly

Tillyswilly Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Agree 100% I got the 1st itouch and it SUCKED ASS and y would u switch.....as my economics teacher 1s said. "Everyone who has an iphone is looking for attention and needs a hug" enough said

Using TapTalk Damnit