WSJ: Verizon IPhone Confirmed!!

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by markwebb, Oct 6, 2010.

1. UNC

UNC New Member

You're betting on GoogleTV? Seriously?
  2. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

AppleTV is also coming that will have apps. This will be an even bigger war between Google and Apple. I for one would like to see Iphone everywhere but Verizon. The big question is what carrier will get the premier android phones if Iphone comes to Verizon? Moto may say screw it and not give Verizon the best phones anymore. I have been with Verizon for 20 years, but I am glad I am doing year contracts, because if all these Iphone zombies piss me off or better android phones do on a different network I will be forced to switch.
  3. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Betting on it? Hell I can all but guarantee it is a wild success. It will be available as a set top box as well as integrated into multiple HD sets available right now from Sony but Samsung and Panasonic will be following suit soon enough.

EDIT: Looks like LG is on board as well and Vizio may soon follow. So that just leaves Philips? LOL! Remember this will be integrated with the TV itself and offer the same features as the set top boxes. All that is left is the Google Car and Google Plane.. sorry looks like Android has already started the aerial invasion!

http://gizmodo.com/5644547/android-may-be-taking-over-airplanes-too
  4. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Comparing AppleTV to GoogleTV is like comparing a Ferarri to a Volkswagen. AppleTV just offers simple rental access to shows for .99 cents a pop. It has NO integration of way to integrate with a HD DVR, it has a simple controller, not a wireless keyboard/touchpad combo like GoogleTV. There is NO web interface or searching or for that matter Netflix integration. It requires a separate HDMI input and doesn't use the same one that your HD DVR uses so it cannot talk to it. Not to mention that there is no DLNA support on it where on GoogleTV there is so you can stream from ANY PC or DLNA source directly to GoogleTV. No Flash 10.1 support or full browser like Chrome. Lastly no interactive web portals with major networks already signed up and more coming. Not to mention Boxee and Hulu Plus will be signed and ready in a couple of months for GoogleTV as well. No comparison at all.
  5. Tillyswilly

Tillyswilly New Member

Agree 100% I got the 1st itouch and it SUCKED ASS and y would u switch.....as my economics teacher 1s said. "Everyone who has an iphone is looking for attention and needs a hug" enough said

Using TapTalk Damnit
  6. DroidJT

DroidJT New Member

Hahaha...Okay, you're right - you did. I'm just trying to make heads and tails of the numbers. So iphone sales will increase past Android for 2 months following a launch of a new iphone carrier (Verizon) with the iphone? That, I said makes sense....but maybe I am confused about how adding another US carrier makes up for the delta in annual Android phones sold in the US relative to new iphone sales in the US (please throw out non-iphone ios numbers)? Or were you including those? (I just can't make it add up at a faster pace over time based on the liner sales curve for Android mobile phones.) Do you stand by your statement that a Verizon iphone "may mark the end for androids strong push at ios?" That's what I can't make calculate, given only a 10 - 15 million increase in US iphone sales in 2011 that analysts predict. If you include Global IOS sales (iphone/ipad/ipod) and expand it beyond mobile phones then it has some validity, but still hotly debatable. I guess I am naive and thinking Android sales are still less than 1/2 of its overall potential application. IOS claims 250k daily sales including ipod/ipad/iphone,etc. and Android is primarily just mobile phones (no tablets or future products Android included) at 200k+ per day. So, even US only, I can't make it add up even with 15 vzw iphones sold (about 41k additional ios per day) unless we ASSUME Android OS has plateaued and will not make a big push into the tablet and other space. Because, "sure," if they've plateaued, you would be right and that would mark the end for Android's strong push at ios. If not, then Gartner should have some openings next year and you should brush up your resume:).
  7. DroidJT

DroidJT New Member

8. UNC

UNC New Member

Big Red can easily sell 15m iPhones in year one, and many of those buyers would've bought android if not confronted by the iPhone opportunity. Apple will not lose any customers because of the move, android will... verizon being android's #1 pusher means that with their acquisition of iPhone, android's adoption will without question plummet.
  9. kechamb

kechamb New Member

10. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Of that 15 million the question will now be how many will be to AT&T converts? In essence a new iPhone sold but to an existing iPhone customer coming from AT&T. Yes it will still be a sale but the actual usage will not change much. Not to mention that when/if the iPhone does come to Verizon it will already be two full generations behind the Android LTE dual core superphones. That doesn't even count the usual summer phone blitz.
  11. UNC

UNC New Member

Where do you get the "two generations behind"? Are there 2ghz android phones running 1080p or am I missing something?

I'm not talking about "you", per se. But many, many smartphone buyers will take the iPhone over any android phone. Its a fact.

I love my droid, but acting like iPhone is a POS like RIM or Symbian is just stupid.....
  12. DroidJT

DroidJT New Member

Again, you're giving Verizon a lot of credit when there are 3 other big US carriers (and a hand-full of smaller ones) selling several android phones in their line up. So, IMO, "Plummet" is a little strong considering the Samsung Galaxy S sold over 2 million in the US alone in 2 months. HTC, Moto and Samsung are each estimating over 10m Android sales in the US, more than doubling their Android sales this year. Since we're throwing out other numbers from LG, and possibility of some off estimates, Big red would have to sell 1/3 of their entire base an iphone just to keep pace........hmmmmm? I dunno bout that.
  13. markwebb

markwebb New Member

Exactly. Most consumers want something all wrapped up in a pretty box and which works "right out of the box": no fuss, no muss.

Unlike us within these forums, majority of consumers could care less about rooting, ROM's, kernels, etc.

Apple excels in marketing and packaging.
  14. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

The current iPhone is one generation behind todays high end Android Handsets. The EVO, Epic 4G, and Droid X are all superior in terms of features and capabilities. The dual core/LTE superphones are due out witihin the next few months. Which will put the iPhone at 2 generations behind top end Android handsets. Come summer the gap will continue to widen as the dual core Qualcomm Scorpion SoC's are released in the wild as well as TI's OMAP 44xx SoC. Couple this with Gingerbread on the phones and Honeycomb on the tablets and Apple will again be playing catch up and "Look ME TOO, ME TOO!" as they did when they released the iPhone4 and IOS4.

The iPhone from a hardware standpoint is pretty much sound short of the antenna design flaw. iOS on the other hand absolutely and utterly sucks ass and unless it grows up from a PMP OS to a true smartphone OS it will continue to lag behind in features, flexibility and functionality.
  15. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Yes they excel in marketing and packaging. That's it. They market, package and sell mediocre products at a premium. That being said Android just works out of the box. The people on these forums, like myself, like to push the limits of our hardware and software. That doesn't mean Android doesn't work. It just means we want it to work OUR way. That's all.
  16. DroidJT

DroidJT New Member

Agree. Apple may not be able to introduce a new phone every 3 months profitably but they will certainly stay as close as possible to the innovation line. (Still ahead of most manufacturer's on a front-facing video phone). Though, I didn't see anyone call it a POS on this thread.....the iphone is in fact the "standard" for which other smart-phones should be measured and should strive to be on par.
  17. AuxiliaryPie

AuxiliaryPie New Member

I understand Android's edge in terms of customization (Root, rom, theme) but to users who dont do this (my self, never really appealed to me) why not get the iPhone? i mean really, people just like to get worked up over things they own because, well, it makes you feel good about yourself and your decisions everyone does it. both OS's have their merits and their downfalls.
    And to the hacking crowd, why not get an iphone, JB it and not have to worry about outdated hardware till your contract is up, instead of a new Android phone coming out every two weeks that makes your current android look like a rock.
    ...just points to ponder, and i am a big android fan BTW, except i can see the light to both sides of the argument

edit- to the post above about the iphone being a generation behind, it has a better screen than the phones listed, and a front facing camera which the droidX doesnt...so by your definition of a generation, the X is behind a generation, which clearly isnt so
  18. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Besides rooting the phones and custom ROMs there is still far more that can be done with Android than iOS. The notification system in iOS is amateurish and intrusive. The lack of REAL desktops that can have custom downloadable widgets as well as live widgets available with apps is another. The inability to truly multi-task and only have certain services run simultaneously as opposed to the entire application. It's memory management is still horrific compared to Androids'. It's lack of flexibility and functionality is another. Where Android installed on a PMP like the upcoming Archos 32 and Archos 43 to tablets like the Galaxy Tab, Archos 7, Archos 10 and Folio 100 and now Google TV all lead to a highly integrated experience. iOS falls short of this as can be seen with the lack of integration between platforms and the only thing being common to them is the Apple App Store.

There is no tight integration between iPod/Pad/Phone to AppleTV or for that matter between the devices themselves. Each is more or less a stand alone unit that will not enhance the other. Whereas with say a Droid X you can tether an Android tablet to it if need be. You can then if you want fire up Sling Player and stream your DVR contents to it. With DLNA on Google TV and many Android handsets you can send media whether it be pictures or movies, etc.. to your HD set or from any number of other external sources. Same cannot be said for Apple's products. Not to mention that Android is also now beginning to ship on ARM based netbooks like the Toshiba AC100 with more to follow suit. This will further expand Androids' flexibility and usefulness throughout the mobile and now home entertainment ecosystem.

Apple sells a product, iPod/Phone/Pad and AppleTV Google gives away a platform, Android. In order to use an Apple product you need to buy an Apple product. In order to use Android you have a choice in function, features, form factor and price an with phones, in the US anyway, a choice of carrier. Apple locks you into their ecosystem and their product line where as Android locks you into nothing and allows you, the consumer, to make the choice best suited for your needs as well as budget. This is where Android will eventually become the all encompassing platform of choice.
  19. Mule65

Mule65 Member

Maybe so, but the notification system on my 2.2 stock Droid X simply does not work for sh*t.
  20. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

That isn't a flaw in Android as much as it is Moto's usual craptastic software. As was stated multiple times throughout that support thread, Touch Down, is working perfectly. So the answer, go buy Touch Down and stop whining. There problem solved. dancedroid