WSJ: Verizon IPhone Confirmed!!

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by markwebb, Oct 6, 2010.

1. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Ugh!!! Now that is discouraging news. Well, if that's so I guess I better get ready to eat humble pie.

I can't get a new phone for quite some time. It will be interesting to see how this works out, and if Android does suffer as a result of it. Shame on you Verizon, first Bing, now Apple. Have you no shame?

2. armeddroid

armeddroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I'll still wait. Iphone 5 specs look pretty nice. But Android still has its own signature.

sent from MyD1.

3. BlackHoleSlam

BlackHoleSlam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This suxs verizon is gonna be bogged down with all iphone users losing good conpanies like motorola and google just to meet the demands of apple

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. markwebb

markwebb Member

Ratings:
    +10

It's called business.

Think about it. Verizon had no Iphone. They needed to increase profits and marketshare. They partner with Google or whomever to fill the void and fill the coffers.

Another opp has now arisen. They can continue to increase profits and market share.

Every company does this, including Google.

5. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I think the competition is gonna be good for Android. It should spur devs of our phone and UI's to get super creative in attempts to one up eachother. We will see how it affects sales, I think at first it will cut pretty deep into android sales which in return will force android to develop a super phone that will run the world, ok maybe I wouldn't go that far, but this could fuel some pretty awesome mobile wars.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

6. jdlfg

jdlfg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OPEN SOURCE is where its at.

7. coondogg97

coondogg97 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been an Apple portable device fan for years. After getting my Droid I never thought I would care about owning an iPhone again. But now with the HUGE let down in the Droid Pro I don't feel the same way. If the iPhone 4 came to VZW, I would honestly consider it at this point. I like Androids OS better, but the iPhone hardware all around is better then any of the Droid devices out right now. In my humble opinion.

And enough with the removable battery excuse. This isn't 2002 where you needed to have a backup battery charged at all times. I have never needed a backup battery for my Droid. The ONLY downside of the iPhone hardware is the expandable memory. But if you are concerned about that then buy the bigger iPhone.

As I said I do like the Android OS better, but there is nothing wrong with iOS 4.

8. scrub175

scrub175 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Competition is great and android will step up to the challenge. If it happens its a win for the consumers.

Carriers, handset makers, and OS developers all have a pony in this race.

Moto may loosen their locked down bootloader stance if handset sales fall. Google may address OS system fragmentation and device maker homebrews (blur). Verizon will have to beef up their already great network for the influx of new customers.

All of this is a win for us. Innovation and improvement even if we don't switch to the iphone.

Lastly Verizon had an opportunity to gain the lions share of wireless service. Most smartphone consumers want an easy to use smart phone on a reliable network. Like it or not apple provides an easy to use handset, with verizon providing the reliable network. Can't fault verizon for trying.

For me I like the challenges and rewards droid has to offer. I'm not looking for a simple to use smart phone as most members here agree, but our group is the minority of wireless users in the market.

Sent from my VZW Iphone

9. abe7333

abe7333 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its not confirmed guys. Iphone is mahjong cdma version. China has a big cdma market. Until its on verizon and I see it with my eyes I don't believe it

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X

10. abe7333

abe7333 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup. Yay. All good games will eventually

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X

11. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Confirmation? REALLY? People familiar with it say it's launching the beginning of next year? Are these the same people that were familiar with it this past June and the multiple times over the course of the past 3 years? I think I speak for a lot of folks that yes it may very well happen but until I see Apple and/or VZW drop the bomb I am taking it with a grain of salt. Not that I care... I have a Droid. :icon_ banana:

12. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where's the let down in the Droid Pro? Anyway, the iPhone if it does come will be a CDMA version of the current unit. Then the Tegra 2 based Droid comes out from Motorola and others will follow putting the iPhone 2 generations behind in hardware. Let's not forget Gingerbread is due shortly as well.

13. scott craft

scott craft Member

Ratings:
    +8
    If nothing else, I hope a verizon iphone will get some of my friends and family to switch so I can lower my plan minutes. I also think that will force the android phones to step up their game.

14. rcali001

rcali001 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That maybe a possibility!

...sent from my Droid 1 using tapatalk

15. rcali001

rcali001 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Haha, they may give you a free 30ft tower to plug into and carry around with you!

...sent from my Droid 1 using tapatalk