WSJ: Verizon IPhone Confirmed!!

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by markwebb, Oct 6, 2010.

1. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +64
    I love my droid 1 because of how open it is for me to do what I want with. But back in march when I was looking for a smartphone, I knew very little about Android or what open source really even meant. If verizon at the time was offering the iPhone I would have without a doubt bought it. I think a lot of people are in that same boat of not understanding open source, so why not buy the iPhone, they market the crap out of it! It's aesthetically pleasing, it's very user friendly. But at the time the droid 1 was the cream of the crop for VZW so that is what I went with. Thankfully I found this forum after I bought the phone and haven't looked back since. But if Moto and HTC do keep locking down the phones to the point where if you try to hack they use rootkit to reflash stock software, I would seriously consider an iPhone with Verizon. Did Apple royally screw up with the antenna issue? Absolutely, but you better believe they will not make that mistake again. The next iPhone released I am expecting to have some pretty incredible specs. That being said I do love the Android OS now that I have had my phone for 7 months and have it rooted to my liking. If another phone comes out truly as open as the D1 I would pick it in a heartbeat over the iPhone. But to the average consumer who knows nothing about open source or bootloaders or whatever else, why not pick an iPhone on Verizon? It is at the moment the most popular phone in the world.

2. johall07

johall07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you can almost look at android vs ios like windows vs osx i mean not many people used to have macs cause they had no idea how to use them and they had no plans on figuring it out, then some people started to get them and people started to see how good they could be and now you see macs everywhere....ios was the first real "smartphone" so people with little knowledge just go with the flow and call it the best when they really dont know what else is out there

3. DroidJT

DroidJT Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You've drawn some interesting comparisons...we all know that windows was/still is the winner of the first battle in terms of users and sales due to the portability of the OS (ie, not locked to one manufacturer). Right now, apple has sort of reignited that debate but I'm not convinced the outcome will be any different.
    I say, bring the iphone to Big red so people can use it for a phone and let the numbers decide rather than the service provider. Still, I don't think I would switch away from Android over to iphone 4 (5 or 6)...but so far I love the competition for my dollars.
    (Also, you might find some blackberry and palm fans that might take issue with calling the iphone the first real smartphone....but to each their own.:))

4. ronjr123

ronjr123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why is it that people keep trying to compare the apple apps versus androids as they are currently? Let's not forget that the iphone has been around a lot longer than android. Compare the apple market place when it was on the same stage as android is now. I bet the droid market would blow that apple one away.

5. johall07

johall07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    haha to be honest i had no idea why windows won out im just talking about all the non-tech people i know and how they saw windows as "easier" in the same way they see the iphone as "easier"

6. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i definitely wont be getting an iphone. my rooted incredible will kill a jailbroken iphone any day.
    and i love android's free gps (will iphone get that?)
    even if it does, im sticking with htc for a long time (unless that new moto nvidia phone is too good to pass up..)

7. Mrdanks

Mrdanks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea I love my droid x and would never go to ATT. Rooted and booted baby running faster than any I*crap!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. UNC

UNC Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Well generally, you don't do non-biased reviews based on "if x was y". If android came out before RIM they'd probably be the market leader... but that has no relevance here. Does ios have more apps? Yes. End of story.

This may mark the end for androids strong push at ios. I guarantee if a verizon iphone comes out, ios will pass all other smartphone os's in the US within 2 months.

9. jtdiddy

jtdiddy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, luv my X and I see myself keeping it for at least a yr and see how the phone landscape looks next summer

If I do switch, it will be for the next droid x killer not for the iphony

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk- Rooted 2.2 Froyo

10. 1linuxfreak

1linuxfreak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sad but VZ share holders only care about one thing , money, if iPhone can bring them more then it shall be.
    I hope it does not .

11. goldan brown

goldan brown New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No verizon iPhone in any near future.

12. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would never switch anyway. Just had to get that out there. Android is going to grow to a ridiculous size in the future, and look how much fun I am having already?!?!