WSJ: Verizon iPhone Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by droid_mike, Mar 30, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. ipawd1

ipawd1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think this whole "2.1 update pushback" is very premature of the Android field. A lot of people are turned off by the fact their phones seem obsolete because instead of an "open network phone" having the ability to update with the software available, we wait for a push, and even with the Droid and its capabilities, 2.1 has been pushed back further and further. Sure, we have ROMS, and whatnot, but what person who actually uses the phone for just a PHONE is readign these forums on the regular checking on tweaks and whatnot?

People like a phone to be a phone first, and it seems like the iphone has accomplished all of that, contrary to popular belief. Thats what they have going for them. Right now Android and this 2.1 has pulled an infamous "Blackberry" move on me with the postponed apps, and inability to update ALl phones at once.

All I'm saying.

(yes I know Android has released the statement about the cross market upgrades)
  2. gruve

gruve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Funny when people say iphone is coming to VZW this summer. My wife works for Apple and they're hush hush about all info. They don't release any info until the press conference, perfect example ipad, they had no idea until Jobs announced it. Of course everyone had speculations but had no idea of what to expect, even the name - ipad.

I bet VZW has the iphone before we get 2.1 :)
  3. DavidDroid

DavidDroid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When the iPhone comes to VZW, it will change the market. People have DROIDs for a few reason, but I am more than willing to bet a HUGE percentage of those people have them because there was not an iPhone available on the VZW network. You guys need to be slapped in the mouth and get real. This new iPhone will have better resolution, the soft keyboard eliminates a need for the hard keyboard, you have your iPod in your pocket now at all times, there are way more apps RIGHT NOW and there will always be more because there is a bigger and better developer base, the UI is just easier.

Everyone can talk trash about the iPhone, but it is a superior device. I own a DROID, I love it and could not go back to a dumb phone ever again, but I will be jumping ship as soon as I possibly can.
  4. gruve

gruve Member

Ratings:
    +0

[​IMG]
  5. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Superior device? I can't even change the freakin' battery in the thing! How is that superior? Pay $99 for a new phone because your battery is shot. Yeah superior. Let's not even mention the fact that the is no microSD card slot. Hmmm... open platform? Nope. DRM free, nope. Ability to do with what you damned well please, nope. Open App store without draconian oversight? Nope. Yeah this all screams superiority to me assuming you are a sado-masochist that likes to have your nuts crushed.
  6. gruve

gruve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]
  7. armeddroid

armeddroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Damn
    thats as gay as Ricky Martin. lol
  8. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw this
  9. Trenium

Trenium New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I heard the new iphone on verizon will be running android 2.1
  10. rgn2000

rgn2000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know it will eventually happen, but i am praying very hard it does not happen anytime soon. With an Iphone on Verizon we will have even more of these elitist technologically inept idiots around.

The Droid 2 will hopefully launch by the end of the year and my guess is that it will have mini hdmi out, record in 720p, and of course an even faster processor.

Apple will upgrade their current model this summer (whether verizon or not), but they will always be a step behind in the technology The geeks who by them think they set the trend. I hate to see more of these geeks running around.
  11. wil318466

wil318466 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  12. droid_mike

droid_mike Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Problem is, Jim Cramer is almost always wrong... You can make a fortune off of doing the exact opposite of what he suggests.
  13. wil318466

wil318466 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    He's not almost always wrong. They've done studies on things he's recommended, and he came out to be very average (wrong as much as right). Personally, I never listen to those clowns. I can do the research and formulate my own opinions usually. And those guys have been wrong about some very BIG things.

Actually, come to think of it, so have I. But at least if I make a bad decision I learn from it, instead of just blaming them. :)

-Wil
  14. mjs31

mjs31 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Well put and right on IMHO. I have had both, and yes, Iphone is a little more polished, but it stops there. I will never go back to that controlled mess.
  15. rgn2000

rgn2000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Let's face it most people who are on this forum are hardcore people who have some decent technological knowledge. The Iphone is not for us, it is more for the person who is not all that savvy that wants something cool that looks like they know something. You can't blame Verizon nor Apple for going after that market because unfortunately it is a bigger market.

Eventhough I have never bought an Apple product (nor do I plan to), I would probably recommend the IPhone to a lot of people just knowing they are not that savvy with technology. It has more of easy to understand UI with less control to mess things up. Lets face it, we laugh at the Iphone for not having multitasking, but honestly most users of the Iphone do not really need it nor do they know they are even missing it. The Iphone is mainstream and the mainstream is never a good thing. It is like a real driving enthusiast would want to drive a standard for more control, but the soccer mom driving her automatic could care less what she is missing out by not driving a standard (of course minivans do not come in standard, but forget that). If you go up to 15 random Iphone users on the street I can guarantee you that 12 of the 15 have not heard of android.