WSJ: Verizon iPhone Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by droid_mike, Mar 30, 2010.

1. droid_mike

droid_mike New Member

Rumors about a Verizon iPhone have been around for years, but there seems to be more evidence that this time, the rumors may be real:

Two New IPhones Coming; One May Be Aimed at Verizon - WSJ.com

Normally, I'd dismiss such rumors... Apple is very big on control and wouldn't want to change their hardware just to please Verizon (a company they do not like), but Apple is very concerned about Android's growth---primarily on Verizon's network. A Verizon iPhone would be like a nuclear attack on Google in their war against Android. It certainly would present the biggest challenge to Android, yet.

We shall see what will happen. Since the rumored iPhone would not be available until late fall, Android may develop a strong enough foothold not to be crushed, but it still will be difficult to overcome the public's love for the iPhone.
  2. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Still not concrete yet. STill in the speculation mode IMO.
  3. Snowbomb7

Snowbomb7 New Member

Well for the sake of Droids everywhere...I hope this never happens!!! Not even a year into the Moto Droid and look how much has been accomplished!
  4. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

It made the 11oclock news here tonight.... they say they have a very credible source for this info as well as what the WSJ is reporting..... but ya we have heard this before as well.
  5. droid_mike

droid_mike New Member

I guess rumors are just as good as the real thing if you are Apple--If people think the iPhone is coming to Verizon, then those Verizon folks who really wanted an iPhone but were considering a Droid or Nexus One would simply hold out a little longer... crimping Android's sales surge.
  6. coupon

coupon New Member

:( this makes me sad. i'd definitely move over to iphone if it came to verizon anytime soon just cause its so much more developed and polished, but i really want to see android take off and develop further as well. iphone on verizon will definitely hurt google
  7. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

I can't see those two playing nice. Two MAJOR control freak companies trying to collaborate would make for an epic headbutting match.

Wasn't it verizon who was first approached by Apple to carry the original iphone? Didn't they turn them down then due to a futile tug-of-war control battle?
  8. electric turd

electric turd New Member

I switched from an iphone to the droid a month ago. The iphone is way over rated and boring compared to the android platform. I would never consider going back to the closed and strict limitations of the iphone. The only thing that apple has over android is hype and slightly better user friendly-ness.
  9. tdpolo26

tdpolo26 New Member

well said turd
  10. MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt New Member

This has been rumored to happen for over a year now and it hasn't yet. "Credible Sources" aren't nothing to me anymore. Supposedly it was "Credible Sources" that said we would have 2.1 on 3/18 and we all see how well that went. Until Verizon or Apple announce it themselves i don't believe one word from "Credible Sources". Even if it made the news in some areas, It's all lies and twisted stories the news stations and newspapers come up with to gain ratings and readers. Same as most of these tech blogs as well.
  11. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

Guys...while the actual date may still be in question...how can we doubt this? Yes lots of speculation...but if you look at the dots...you can put a picture together.

The Apple & ATT agreement ends in May

We heard that the FCC had reviewed technical specs on a CDMA version of the iPhone a few months back.

ATT has almost complete stopped featuring the iPhone in its commercials. I see lots of blackberry's, backflips, etc...the occasional iPhone.

Apple is well know for being calculating and trying to cut its competition out from the knees. The MotoDroid has made a big stir in the market and made Android go from an annoying mosquito...to a leech. Now it is winning acclaim and device of the year awards...and is on the better network.

How better for Apple to cut Android off at the knees....than to take away its exclusive hold on verizons customers.

I think it would make more sense as a holiday release...kinda like the droid last year...late Oct early Nov....but that is what I would do if I was in charge of the launch...Apple though has their "schedule" and I believe they do release a new iPhone every summer...so again...fits into all the rumors.

ALSO....My Office Manager's mother works for Verizon...and she said it is already a done deal. So there! No more arguing OK? :icon_ banana:
  12. rmcray08

rmcray08 New Member

Verizon will get the iPhone eventually. Wether it happens this year, next year, or the year after that, it is a definite eventuality. Steve Jobs has too much to gain from opening up his market to other carriers.

Regardless, in my opinion Apple is too late to stop Android in its tracks. If this had happened a couple years back when Android was in its infancy and the G1 phone had just been released on the T-mobile network, I might be singing a different tune. But, Apple looked the other way while the Android platform began to grow. And now we have a platform (albeit, highly fragmented) that is superior (multitasking, open app market) to the iPhone OS that is available on handsets across all carriers. The only place that the iPhone has Android beat in my opinion is the sheer size and user-friendliness of its app store, a trend I think we'll see starting to change as we come to the end of 2010.

The seeds of the iPhone's fall from the top have already been planted. Just look at shows like CITA where Android smartphones outnumber all other platform-based smartphones at least 2:1.
  13. MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt New Member

LOL we have heard alot of different things from people who work for Verizon. She probably has no clue what shes talking about just like 99% of Verizon's reps. Unless she actually works in the department that handles upcoming phones to the network then she has no relevance to this subject whatsoever.
  14. UggTheThug

UggTheThug New Member

wasnt that credible source Moto? and apparently it was bugged like hell(correct me if im wrong but the 2.1 thread is longg)

but anywayyea ill believe verizon iPhone when i see it, and then ill laugh in its slow, low resolution a**
  15. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

Oh I know...that is why I put it in there! I thought it would get a laugh or two...Personally I truly believe that if you follow the breadcrumbs...the answer is there for all.
  16. MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt New Member

No it was actually a Verizon employee that leaked a photo of a screen saying the update would be out on that date. It was never an actual announcement made by Verizon, Motorola or Google. Motorola has now confirmed it is coming just not sure exactly when yet.

The CDMA iPhone (if there is one coming) might actually be very nice seeing as how it will be the same as the new iPhone 4G that is supposed to be coming out this Summer as well. Apple has to step their game up a little bit to keep up with all the very powerful Android devices coming out or already out. (ex. Moto Droid, Nexus One, HTC Incredible, HTC Evo)
  17. BCrawford

BCrawford Member

:icon_ worthless:
  18. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

it's only a matter of time before the iphone "happens" for Verizon. Just a matter of when
  19. meepstone

meepstone New Member

"Spreading the rumors, it's very easy because the people who write about Apple want that story, and you can claim its credible because you spoke to someone at Apple." -- Investment guru Jim Cramer
  20. MdicnMan

MdicnMan New Member

Only thing they have IMHO is the real docking ability. That is really the only thing that is "missing" from Android phones. Worth jumping ship for? I don't think so.