Wrong network/location

Ateres

Reaction score
Hello!

For the past week or so, my husband and I (both with DROID Eris') have been having issues with our phone's location. We live in Panama City, FL, however as of late our location has been showing up as Tallahassee, FL (some 100 miles away), Gainesville, FL (even further away), or even just 'Florida' with no city. This is causing problems with several apps on our phone, most visibly Google maps, Google sky (I was able to manually set my city in this app, though), the HTC weather widget, as well as the actual phone time (I've overridden the auto detect of the time and set it to our proper timezone, however its still noteable). I thought that when we received the 2.1 Update that this would fix itself, however I just got the update today and am still having the same problems.

I've done several power downs/power ups, and have downloaded/used the GPS app, all to no avail. I have posted this problem elsewhere, however I was told that it was an issue with Google Maps and that it would be resolved with a bug update. This doesn't explain why my weather widget, phone time, and network all show me in a different area.

Any ideas? If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks!

TJMIV

Reaction score
This same issues started on my HTC Incredible Friday night (05/14/2010). At least two other people I know are experiencing the same problem. We all have the same issues you listed except mine shows Panama City as Eastern Time zone. I had to manually set my location to Mobile for the alarms to work correctly.

Possibly unrelated, but I was at the Verizon store Saturday for another issue and overheard a conversation where they said that a tower technician was on site.

KJRadz

Reaction score
Also in Panama City. Wife has a Motorola Devour I have an Incredible. Hers currently has her in Gainesville and mine is showing Crawfordville. GPS works correctly but does not update the apps and widgets for time and weather display when current location is selected. This is apparently provided by Verizons network. I've opened a ticket with them but haven't heard anything back yet.

eidiamonddot1

Reaction score
Location is wrong

Wow!!! I am in the Southport/Panama City area. This is insane. Both my daughter and I have HTC DROID ERIS and for about a week the location has been wrong. Showing either Gainesville or Tallahassee as our location. I have done everything possible. It started this prior to me updating my phone on Monday, 5/14/10. It is driving em insane.. I have turned the gps location off and on, reset my phone, etc. My maps is showing the correct location buy my weather widget and clock are wrong. I had to manually adjust the time. :icon_eek:

cartisdm

Reaction score

KJRadz

Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to drop back in to let you know that our particular problem was solved quite some time ago and give you some background that might help you a bit since I assisted the Verizon engineers in resolving this issue for us.

At the time this thread was created, Verizon had upgraded their network for our area (Florida panhandle, lower Georgia and Alabama) to a new cellular network switch. The upgrade required that the cell id for each of the towers be changed for proper mapping to the new switch. This resulted in erroneous responses to lookups in the Google cell tower location database since the new cell id's hadn't been entered. The recommended work around involved hard setting your location in apps that use Google location services or use GPS. If Verizon location services are working and Google are not you may be facing a similar issue. I'd be happy to jump in and help if you need.