Wrong contact being displayed in stock messaging app

M

Matth3w

I did a search for wrong messaging contact and even just wrong contact and didn't get any worthwhile results, so here goes...

I use only the stock messaging app. A lot of times the app works fine. Then sometimes when you go into the app in the root thread messaging view, it might list the same contact twice. When I go to the mislabeled contact and go into the thread, the name at the top is CORRECT, but the names for each of their text messages is the INCORRECT name. After awhile it fixes itself.

What's the dealio?

I don't want to download a different messaging app. I like the stock one, I like that I am not wasting space or memory using a third party app that I don't use one iota of the features.

OP
M

Matth3w

Damn, am I the only one with this issue (it only happens sometimes)?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's a 'bummer bump' just for you.

I hope you figure it out.

lockman

Reaction score
This is why I initially started using Handcent. Then it started doing it as well, I posted a thread that went nowhere too. Hope you have better luck.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that you have too many messages? Not sure specifically how this would cause a problem, but the PS3/leap year fiasco is proof that you cant take anything for granted in engineering.

dtartini

Reaction score
I have the same problem which sucks if you have it Math3w cause I usually read your posts to fix my phone..now if you dont know whats going on we are sh** out of luck.

OP
M

Matth3w

I hate that I have to use an unnecessary (for me) app...running in the background...because the stock app screws up.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
I experience the same issue. Usually just backing out of the app and going back in clears it up. Hasn't happened frequently enough to piss me off too bad yet.

OP
M

Matth3w

The problem is, sometimes when I travel for long periods my wife and I might exhange some...well...nice texts. And id hate to inadvertently text something like that to my aunt if you get the picture.

lockman

Reaction score
The problem is, sometimes when I travel for long periods my wife and I might exhange some...well...nice texts. And id hate to inadvertently text something like that to my aunt if you get the picture.

Which is why I constantly double and triple check certain messages. Annoying as hell. Email may be a better solution for certain nice things.

OP
M

Matth3w

Yeah but sometimes you just need it real time. ;)

dtartini

Reaction score
You gotta love where this thread is going lol...I did some googling. I didnt find much but I figured Id post it anyway. I have seen posts with both rooted and unrooted phones having this issue. So looks like its not an issue with custome rom or anything like that. Several people (no real reliable sources yet though, but here is one example, post 5) say its just a bug with 2.0.1 and hopefully 2.1 will fix it.