Wrong Charger?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Hey all - I went to a Verizon Wireless store today to buy a new body glove case for my Droid. :icon_ banana: Loving it so far.

I also got a wall charger for my phone too. Usually I make sure everything is the right thing but the Verizon Wireless rep seemed like he knew what he was talking about so I trusted him picking the right charger.

but

When I got home I see that the wall charger is Output: 5.0V === 550mA. Whereas the charger that came with my Droid - 5.1V === 850mA.

Will the 550mA charger work for my Droid?

M

Matth3w

It will work but charge slower. But if you paid for it, why not take it back and get them to give you the right one?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd say it will since the VZW rep gave it to you......although, you might wanna call them and have them clarify to you if that would work or not before using it....

M

Matth3w

I'd say it will since the VZW rep gave it to you......although, you might wanna call them and have them clarify to you if that would work or not before using it....
Those idiots don't know anything about phones.

OP
B

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Thanks for the info all. I like the fact that this charger has a long cord - whereas the original droid charger has a really short USB cable. I don't mind the longer charge times as I just charge it every night anyway. Just making sure it was safe for my phone.

Btw... I got it for free because the store I went to was having a special (buy an accessory get one free).

Thanks!

M

Matth3w

I have the same view as you...it's charging all night, so it really doesn't matter how fast it charges. I do have a 1 amp charger for rapid charging needs though.

RyanS2000

Reaction score
Not really worried just curious as to why they are so cheap. Weren't some faulty Droid cases branded by Verizon being pushed on ebay for super cheap not to long ago?

M

Matth3w

Not really worried just curious as to why they are so cheap. Weren't some faulty Droid cases branded by Verizon being pushed on ebay for super cheap not to long ago?
One potential reason...Because they can buy them by the bulk, cheap, and sell them from their house or storage unit. They don't need to pay 25 Verizon employees and have storefront in an expensive location (such as inside a mall or right next to a major shopping area). Not to mention they are severely marked up in the store because Verizon usually doesn't make crap on phones...they make money on accessories and contracts.

RyanS2000

Reaction score
I understand that in regards to the super low price, there's little\no overhead for bulk ebay sellers. I was just curious if there were any known issues with the chargers (potential recalls or w\e). It came in just a plastic ziplock with the model number on it so it definitely was purchased in bulk by the eBay seller.

M

Matth3w

So long as it works, I say - keep being cheap. That's what I'd do :)

veetvoojagig

Reaction score
Be careful with chargers for anything Motorola. They like to play games with the pinouts on their connectors (going back to my old Razr, it's why you need to have drivers installed for the phone to charge). I tried connecting my Droid to another micro usb connector charger, and watched the phone freak out (charger connected, charger disconnected after about 5 flashes of this it just acted like nothing was connected)