Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't like it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OP
K

kamk2k8

Reaction score
Added poll, any official beta users out there?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I guess I would pay if I had to. But how much is it? I love swype, but only use it in a rare case. Otherwise I am a pure tangible QWERTY guy myself.

OP
K

kamk2k8

Reaction score
Yeah I feel you, if I have to write anything over a couple sentences I will definitely be using the physical keyboard, but it's nice for texts...I really have no idea, I can't imagine it would be much, I would say $4.99

mcsinfl

Reaction score
tried swype for a couple weeks, i far prefer SlideIT

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've used SlideIt, Shapewriter, and Swype and am in the beta test group for Swype. As I've noted on other threads on this subject, I don't think it's possible to evaluate any of these input methods without committing to each for a relatively extended period. What seems great and magical on day one is sometimes annoying by the end of a week. And vice versa. None of the three is a perfect solution, imo. Some work better in portrait mode and suffer when used in landscape mode.

Furthermore, if human beings can adapt to the bizarre demands of a qwerty keyboard, they can adapt to almost anything. And usually claim that it's "natural" once they've done so.

Having said that, I find Swype to be the best of the three "swiping" products. IMO, it's the most accurate and the editing features (critical) are the most advanced and useful. I seldom type more than a couple of paragraphs on my phone so I can't say which approach is better for long emails or texts. And even if one approach were clearly superior for that purpose, I'd still compose prose on my desktop 95% of the time.

As for what I'd pay for it, I have to consider that entering text on the Droid is one of the most common interactions I have with the device. And if I'm willing to pay $10-$20 for an app that enables me to edit Word documents, it seems only reasonable to pay at least that much for an app that makes it easy to do so.

DroidFan

Reaction score
I was using the "leaked" version of Swype and got into the "beta test group" when it first came out. I love Swype and as I continue to learn the tips and tricks and use the tutorial more and more, I find it easier and easier to use. I find that I'm "swyping" faster and faster as I continue to use it.

The only drawback of using the "beta" product is I have to switch from stock back to Swype any time I reboot the Droid, but short of that, it's a great product. I don't even use the horizontal/landscape virtual keyboard at all and stopped using the physical keyboard altogether.

sockmess

Reaction score
i'm willing to spend 6 at its current state... if vast improvements happens before its good to sale, 10.

bb-gun

Reaction score
I was using the "leaked" version of Swype and got into the "beta test group" when it first came out. I love Swype and as I continue to learn the tips and tricks and use the tutorial more and more, I find it easier and easier to use. I find that I'm "swyping" faster and faster as I continue to use it.

The only drawback of using the "beta" product is I have to switch from stock back to Swype any time I reboot the Droid, but short of that, it's a great product. I don't even use the horizontal/landscape virtual keyboard at all and stopped using the physical keyboard altogether.

You don't have to keep switching from stock to swype every time you boot up. Just install the Beta apk... Heres how to do it Get The Official Swype Beta
Make sure you erase the Swype Beta that you have on there right now before installing this one

EbE404

Reaction score

You don't have to keep switching from stock to swype every time you boot up. Just install the Beta apk... Heres how to do it Get The Official Swype Beta
Make sure you erase the Swype Beta that you have on there right now before installing this one

I am also in the official beta, and I (as well as pretty much all of the other beta users here) have widely reported the "input switching" bug. Fresh installs, Android 2.1 and all. Not a big deal, it's a beta package.

Personally, I love the app, I think this really changes how I interact with my phone. Even when actually typing in words or characters, I like the functionality and layout.

Would I pay for it? Yes.

How much? The first rule of negotiation is "don't make the first offer". ;)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I feel you, if I have to write anything over a couple sentences I will definitely be using the physical keyboard, but it's nice for texts...
I primarily use Swype. I personally don't see an advantage to the physical keyboard for longer typing.

greyghost04

Reaction score

Thanks bb-gun
went to the site and got my Swype back :icon_ banana: