Woz Prefers The Razr

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Both phones have strong points and a great user base but I'm going to have to call out the kevlar on the Razr as a gimmick more than anything else

Just my opinion :sorry:

rherron

Reaction score
For me, the Kevlar is just a tactile thing. It doesn't make it any stronger. Just looks cool and feels nice.

What differentiates the RAZR is thinness -- hence the eponymous name.

What differentiates the Nexus is ICS. That won't be unique for long.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Zandar

Reaction score
Both phones have strong points and a great user base but I'm going to have to call out the kevlar on the Razr as a gimmick more than anything else

Maybe true, maybe not; but at the very least it doesn't hurt anything, and it certainly feels/looks more premium than plastic (though I don't really have anything against plastic).

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's ICS that makes the Nexus stand out, for me it's Pure Google and unlocked bootloader - if Motorola changed their policy they would be a lot more appealing

pinoy_92

Reaction score

i agree. personally, i thought it would be better with carbon fiber instead, but beggars cant be choosers right?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Originally Posted by cereal killer<br />
RAZR is unique and one of a kind in many ways. Where else can you find a handset made like the RAZR ? No where :)<br />
<br />
Not to knock the Galaxy Nexus but without ICS what is it? Just another Android phone. A great Android phone mind you but it doesn't differentiate itself from any other Android smartphone.<br />
<br />
Sent from Droid RAZR
<br />
<br />
What is the razr without the Kevlar back? Just another Motorola running blur. <br />
<br />
The nexus is more than just an android. Its an android with the Google emblem in the back. The company that made this operating system. <br />
<br />
A lot of people call nexus owners fan boys and stuff but I feel like its the other way around. <br />
<br />
I personally have owned several Motorolas (the phone which popped my Android cherry) several HTCs never had a Samsung except this nexus which is more of a Google phone than a Samsung and I can honestly say that from my experience Motorola needs work. Lots of it. I'm not saying it's bad but Samsung and HTC bring more to the table. <br />
<br />
Motorola makes stronger phones but that's about it.
The Kevlar is the last thing on the list. The unmatched thinness of the RAZR sets it apart from any device out right now. Throw in nanocoating, stainless steel chassis, gorilla glass and Kevlar and you have the most unique Android handset on the market.

Lets be honest all the Android handsets out right now are all great in their own right but at the end of the day the only thing that seperates them is build and aesthetics.

Sent from Droid RAZR

alboboy10

Reaction score
true. but the razr would get ICS update someday, but the galaxy nexus wouldnt get kevlar upgrade anytime soon.

I don't want Kevlar. Not dying for it. Wanted a true android, got it. If Kevlar was on top of my list I'd get the razr. But that's the only thing the razr has going for it. Other than that it has issues like the nexus does.

When the razr gets Ics the nexus will be on the next os probably.

Also the razr is like a tile. Its so thin and wide it felt terrible on my hand. Form factor on the razr is terrible. My nexus which has a larger screen feels smaller and better than a razr

Not to mention the beautiful 720p screen...im sure the razr won't be getting a 720p screen any time soon. Or will there be an update for that too?

alboboy10

Reaction score
The Kevlar is the last thing on the list. The unmatched thinness of the RAZR sets it apart from any device out right now. Throw in nanocoating, stainless steel chassis, gorilla glass and Kevlar and you have the most unique Android handset on the market.

Lets be honest all the Android handsets out right now are all great in their own right but at the end of the day the only thing that seperates them is build and aesthetics.
Sent from Droid RAZR

No. Its Ics. And a lot of things that were added to this phone which no other androids will have soon. Google wallet being one of them for example.

DroidXCBR

Reaction score
I don't want Kevlar. Not dying for it. Wanted a true android, got it. If Kevlar was on top of my list I'd get the razr. But that's the only thing the razr has going for it. Other than that it has issues like the nexus does.

When the razr gets Ics the nexus will be on the next os probably.

Also the razr is like a tile. Its so thin and wide it felt terrible on my hand. Form factor on the razr is terrible. My nexus which has a larger screen feels smaller and better than a razr

Not to mention the beautiful 720p screen...im sure the razr won't be getting a 720p screen any time soon. Or will there be an update for that too?
Wow is all I can say...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Sent from Droid RAZR

This is a great time in android right now. A year to 2 years ago the debate was if android could be on the same playin field as the iphone. A year ago (infact this summer) the complaint was all verizon puts out is re-hashes "where is the future tech?" . The tbolt was basically a supped up rehash of the evo. Now here we are with 3 great devices on vzw where we are on here arguing which is better. That is a huge step for android and vzw customers. The nexus, razr, and rezound are arguably the best 3 phones on the vzw network. Which is better depends on what you want. The razr is the best built of the 3. The nexus is the most open, have the latest os, and arguably the smoothest of the 3. The rezound is is the most stable out of the box reception wise of the three and it htc has learned from its mistakes in the tbolt and has given users a great device. In the end you can not go wrong with either of the 3. And if we had any of the 3 as a choice a year ago with out the competition of the other 2 that device would have been the top seller. I am excited where android is at now and where its going in the future.

WestOkid

Reaction score
This is a great article. He is surprisingly objective. There is nothing wrong with the iPhone 4s. In fact, it is very right for most people. Not everyone wants to play with their phone like we do. Nothing stupid about them, they just don't want to. I bought iPhones for my wife and mother and I would do it a thousand times until android provides the same user experience out of the box. I get Android for myself because I like options and personalizing. As for the debate between the Gnex and the Razr. Both are great phones with virtually the same hardware. ICS is great, but it's not like it does anything you can't live without or that is not already done by a skin or app. Does anyone actually think Steve Wozniak cares about unlocked bootloaders, rooting,and whether or not Android has a skin on it? It boils down to his initial point regarding the iPhone, "I love the Beauty of it". It's the same reason I bought the Razr and didn't get the Gnex. I don't want to explain why my plastic nondescript phone is "special", I want people to look at the Kevlar back and svelte profile and know it's "special".

pinoy_92

Reaction score
Now here we are with 3 great devices on vzw where we are on here arguing which is better.

that is true. im not saying that the droid razr is better than the galaxy nexus, or vice-versa. they are all great phones, at least better than my motorola droid, it just comes down to personal reference. what made me decide to get the droid razr over the galay nexus was that the store near me only has purple galaxy nexus, and i didnt like the color, no offense to anyone who likes purple, so i went and got the droid. so far no regrets.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
that is true. im not saying that the droid razr is better than the galaxy nexus, or vice-versa. they are all great phones, at least better than my motorola droid, it just comes down to personal reference. what made me decide to get the droid razr over the galay nexus was that the store near me only has purple galaxy nexus, and i didnt like the color, no offense to anyone who likes purple, so i went and got the droid. so far no regrets.

Uhh the galaxy nexus only comes in black with a grey backing.

OP
vonfink13

vonfink13

Reaction score
he is a tech genius and he likes the razr over the gnex...if it was the other way around you gnex guys would be all over this...