Wow UD 3.1....18 hrs on a single charge?

OP
coldhardtruth

coldhardtruth

Reaction score
Is everyone using the built in CPU feature of UD, or are you using a third party application like SetCPU? I always used SetCPU but my battery life hasn't been the greatest.

I use stock everything with UD. No need for 3rd party apps.

Perhaps for you, but not in general. The governor choice and min/max setting that UD sets up is fine, but if you want profiles, UD doesn't provide that.

Don't use profiles. Don't really see the point....to each his own tho

Sent from my Ultimate 2.3.3 GB Droid Incredible

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I use stock everything with UD. No need for 3rd party apps.

Perhaps for you, but not in general. The governor choice and min/max setting that UD sets up is fine, but if you want profiles, UD doesn't provide that.

Don't use profiles. Don't really see the point....to each his own tho

I'm with you. I also don't use profiles, just min and max settings are fine and I also don't really see why profiles are that necessary...

Play a jam!

Reaction score
I'm with you. I also don't use profiles, just min and max settings are fine and I also don't really see why profiles are that necessary...

They're not *necessary*, nor did anyone say they were. But, strawman aside...

I run my phone in a dock on the windshield a lot so it gets hot. Having the temperature profile is useful there.

The screen on my phone is off more often than it is on. There is no need to let the CPU max when it's off. The screen-off profile is useful there.

Occasionally I have the phone off-charger for a long time. Having the "battery < 50%" profile to keep the CPU down to low-but-usable speeds is useful there.

I have the phone in the desk-dock charging a lot at work where there's constant air-conditioning on it, and I don't care about battery use; I want speed. Having the charging profile is useful there to keep the CPU maxxed and interactive governor.

Rodeojones

Reaction score
I totally agree with the above statement about the screen-off profile. Why have the CPU run at max when it isn't needed? I also have profiles set for charging and when the battery reaches certain levels. Each of these things helps with battery life. When my phone finally died yesterday I was at 34 hours (using the stock kernel and the same battery that came with my phone when I bought it in January 2010). To each his own I guess.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I totally agree with the above statement about the screen-off profile. Why have the CPU run at max when it isn't needed? I also have profiles set for charging and when the battery reaches certain levels. Each of these things helps with battery life. When my phone finally died yesterday I was at 34 hours (using the stock kernel and the same battery that came with my phone when I bought it in January 2010). To each his own I guess.
I agree with you, however what I noticed is that when your phone display is off and nothing CPU intensive is running in the background, with the min/max set your phone is going to hover around the very lowest speed anyways. I did notice that if I set the screen off profile to 125-250, there is a huge lag when I get a call before it shows up on my screen.

OP
coldhardtruth

coldhardtruth

Reaction score

I got 24+ hrs without profiles w/ just stock ud 3.1.1. I had 17% left when I threw it on the charger. Today ill let it die all the way and report back w/ screenshots.

Reaction score
I agree with you, however what I noticed is that when your phone display is off and nothing CPU intensive is running in the background, with the min/max set your phone is going to hover around the very lowest speed anyways. I did notice that if I set the screen off profile to 125-250, there is a huge lag when I get a call before it shows up on my screen.

Both good points. And I've heard this from people before. I set mine to 250-250 on screen-off, and the incoming call works out ok for me on my Droid 1.

You're right that in general it does hover around the lowest speed, but I have the profile anyway, in case an app goes rogue and wants to eat my battery while I'm not paying attention. =)

dredhead407

Reaction score
Bump. Has anybodies battery life start to decrease slowly over time?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

dredhead407

Reaction score
Bump. Has anybodies battery life start to decrease slowly over time?

Nope. Still gettin 24+ hours.

Well I guess I'm going to wipe battery stats then. My battery started decreasing from 24 to 20 to 18 and now 16. And all I really use my phone for is listening to music on my beats, checking a few sites from time to time, engadget, droidforums, facebook, and gmail.

aaronmcc11

Reaction score
aefdc185-cacb-7a68.jpg

tee00max

Reaction score
So I'm having great battery life as well but by looking at this thread, it seems like it can get better. So which is better for the CPU, interactive or ondemand? I'm running ondemand.....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reaction score
So I'm having great battery life as well but by looking at this thread, it seems like it can get better. So which is better for the CPU, interactive or ondemand? I'm running ondemand.....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OnDemand takes a little less CPU than interactive, mainly because it scales up a bit slower and backs off a little quicker. The amount of battery saved/lost by using either one depends so heavily on your usage though, that you'll have to try both and see if you can detect much of a difference.

adsfa34

Reaction score
yeah i got something like 25 hours on ud 3.1 too ... friggin' insane... i couldn't believe it! but i'm faaaar for complaining! dancedroid