Wow...I've really been stuck in the stone age!

BKS

Reaction score
Hello all! Just purchased a Motorola Droid a few days ago. Looks like mine has a build date of 4/22/10 seq# 443308.
Did a search and found this site. Been lurking, reading some of the FAQ's and reading posts. Everyone seems real nice and helpful so far. Very refreshing from most of todays forums.

I'm coming off an LG Venus (please don't ban me already) :icon_ goofy: and have been w/ Verizon for 10 yrs now. I'm really not very tech savy...I'd say I'm average at best, but this whole Android thing is completely new to me.
Please forgive me in advance if I ask questions that are so elementary to some.

I have only downloaded a single app so far, and that is the Advanced Task Killer at the recommendation of the sales rep. Nice lil app to help conserve battery life I think....have no idea why I feel so apprehensive about downloading others. I mean that's what the phone was designed for :icon_ goofy:
My 1st impression of the phone is it is BIG! Great, vibrant screen and fairly fast web access....but BIG. LOL The other thing is that the battery life is not that great...I text a lot and spend an average amount of time browsing the net and the battery is just about depleted by the end of every day. Not sure what's up w/ that?

Ok so...here we go..the 1st questions I have so far. I want to preface them w/ a Thank You In Advance for your help.

1) Do you recommend any anti-virus download for this phone?

2)How do I download some of that kick azz wallpaper I have seen on this site? Cam I save it to my CPU and then transfer it to my phone w/ the tether link cable that came w/ the phone?

Cheers,

Brian

armeddroid

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
1. not recommended at all
2. on the market, search for wall papers..it will have a list..
Mabilo Wallpapers
National Geographic Wallpapers etc etc
There is one you can find called FLIKI WALLPAPERS that comes in a 3d gallery like your new 2.1 Gallery..so its nifty.
and yes you can transfer Wallpapers via the cord or send them to yourself via gmail.
either way works.
And dont forget to search for Live WallPapers if your into that.
Hope that helps.

mcsinfl

Reaction score
read a bit about task killers, many developers do not recommend, and can cause problems

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Just purchased a Motorola Droid a few days ago. Looks like mine has a build date of 4/22/10 seq# 443308.
Did a search and found this site. Been lurking, reading some of the FAQ's and reading posts. Everyone seems real nice and helpful so far. Very refreshing from most of todays forums.

I'm coming off an LG Venus (please don't ban me already) :icon_ goofy: and have been w/ Verizon for 10 yrs now. I'm really not very tech savy...I'd say I'm average at best, but this whole Android thing is completely new to me.
Please forgive me in advance if I ask questions that are so elementary to some.

I have only downloaded a single app so far, and that is the Advanced Task Killer at the recommendation of the sales rep. Nice lil app to help conserve battery life I think....have no idea why I feel so apprehensive about downloading others. I mean that's what the phone was designed for :icon_ goofy:
My 1st impression of the phone is it is BIG! Great, vibrant screen and fairly fast web access....but BIG. LOL The other thing is that the battery life is not that great...I text a lot and spend an average amount of time browsing the net and the battery is just about depleted by the end of every day. Not sure what's up w/ that?

Ok so...here we go..the 1st questions I have so far. I want to preface them w/ a Thank You In Advance for your help.

1) Do you recommend any anti-virus download for this phone?

2)How do I download some of that kick azz wallpaper I have seen on this site? Cam I save it to my CPU and then transfer it to my phone w/ the tether link cable that came w/ the phone?

Cheers,

Brian

First :welcome: to the Forum. We're glad to have you here. :)

1. No. An antivirus will just hog resources and cause your phone issues. It's not necessary.

2. Are you talking about links in this site or just you want some great wallpaper? You know that if you long press on your Droid you already have wallpaper to select from including live wallpaper. If not, post up on the link you've seen this wallpaper for instructions. You might try an app called "backgrounds" in the market, it has thousands of wallpaper.

3. I hate to tell you this but Verizon reps are not that knowledgeable. If you want to have a task killer, that's OK but don't have it set to automatically delete tasks. Kill task on your own. Many of us feel that task killers are totally unnecessary. It's very controversial. I've even seen people who had problems with their Droid solve them simply by removing ATK.

OP
BKS

BKS

Reaction score
First :welcome: to the Forum. We're glad to have you here. :)

1. No. An antivirus will just hog resources and cause your phone issues. It's not necessary.

2. Are you talking about links in this site or just you want some great wallpaper? You know that if you long press on your Droid you already have wallpaper to select from including live wallpaper. If not, post up on the link you've seen this wallpaper for instructions. You might try an app called "backgrounds" in the market, it has thousands of wallpaper.

3. I hate to tell you this but Verizon reps are not that knowledgeable. If you want to have a task killer, that's OK but don't have it set to automatically delete tasks. Kill task on your own. Many of us feel that task killers are totally unnecessary. It's very controversial. I've even seen people who had problems with their Droid solve them simply by removing ATK.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome! dancedroid

As far as the Wallpaper I meant downloading them from here Anime / Cartoons Wallpapers - Droid Wallpapers, Droid Gallery
But I think armeddroid may have answered that question for me. I should be able to save them to my CPU and then just email them to my gmail acct. And then add as wallpaper right thru my device.

To be honest I have no idea if my task killer is doing anything or not. The one thing I do know is that I do not have it set to "auto"...I select when to kill the apps. Personally I don't think it's doing much.

Thanks again!

Darkseider

Reaction score
OK first things first. Welcome to the forums! Now that the nice nice is out of the way your first and foremost priority with you new Droid is to REMOVE the task killer app. Post Haste! Show that application no quarters! KILL IT!!!

OP
BKS

BKS

Reaction score
OK first things first. Welcome to the forums! Now that the nice nice is out of the way your first and foremost priority with you new Droid is to REMOVE the task killer app. Post Haste! Show that application no quarters! KILL IT!!!

Is there a proper way to uninstall it?

Darkseider

Reaction score
Assuming it is the free ATK then all you need to do is go to "Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications" Then find the application, clear cache if needed, force stop and then uninstall. Once done you will be FREE!!! FREE I TELL YOU!!! FREE!!!

OP
BKS

BKS

Reaction score
Assuming it is the free ATK then all you need to do is go to "Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications" Then find the application, clear cache if needed, force stop and then uninstall. Once done you will be FREE!!! FREE I TELL YOU!!! FREE!!!

I've removed it Darkseider.....can you be a little more specific why you dislike that app so much?

TIA

Darkseider

Reaction score

I've removed it Darkseider.....can you be a little more specific why you dislike that app so much?

TIA

Simply put. There is absolutely no need for it on an Android device that is running Android v1.6 or greater. The operating system does damned near a perfect job of managing programs, memory and processes. The only thing a task killer/auto killer, etc.. will do is provide a crutch for the user if/when they download and install a bad app. By bad app I mean one that doesn't play nice, close appropriately, spawns a run away process, etc... The only solution to that is to REMOVE the app and inform the developer of the problem in hopes that he/she fixes it. Otherwise by keeping the app installed and relying on the task killer to kill it off you are simply treating a symptom and not a cause.

OP
BKS

BKS

Reaction score
assuming it is the free atk then all you need to do is go to "settings --> applications --> manage applications" then find the application, clear cache if needed, force stop and then uninstall. Once done you will be free!!! Free i tell you!!! Free!!!

i've removed it darkseider.....can you be a little more specific why you dislike that app so much?

Tia

simply put. There is absolutely no need for it on an android device that is running android v1.6 or greater. The operating system does damned near a perfect job of managing programs, memory and processes. The only thing a task killer/auto killer, etc.. Will do is provide a crutch for the user if/when they download and install a bad app. By bad app i mean one that doesn't play nice, close appropriately, spawns a run away process, etc... The only solution to that is to remove the app and inform the developer of the problem in hopes that he/she fixes it. Otherwise by keeping the app installed and relying on the task killer to kill it off you are simply treating a symptom and not a cause.

.........10-4!

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And as has been said so well before - stay away from the antivirus apps, too. They cause nothing but trouble and are completely unnecessary. Oh, and welcome to the forum, BKS!

:welcome:

dkshaer

Reaction score
Been without the ATK for a couple of weeks and my droid does act better without it. Had to reformat due to a gallery force close loop issue, but the speed of the phone and battery life were helped by uninstalling ATK.