Wow! Is That WOW on Your Cell Phone?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
world-of-warcraft-android-phone.png

Wow! Is That WOW on Your Cell Phone? Very soon that question could become a reality. A company called Gamestring.com is in the alpha stages of developing cloud based gaming for your smart-phone. A report at DroidGamers.com reveals a working alpha demonstration of World of Warcraft running on an HTC Desire. This seems pretty amazing! Bored stiff at an airport... fire up an MMORPG on your smart-phone. With this technology you never have to interact in reality again! Wait. Is that a good thing? Checkout the video below:

[video=youtube;zRwaPxBz2jk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRwaPxBz2jk]YouTube - WoW on Android (Alpha Demo)[/video]

By DGStorm
Source: DroidGamers.com

Inverse

Reaction score
I foresee this being the future of gaming in general, even on the desktop. Being able to stream gaming at high speeds when the internet gets faster and faster will negate the need for people to build desktops that are just constantly replaced.

Eventually computing power would most likely be cloud based, streaming high frame gameplay at the cost of some sort of subscription. Want a computer that can run the latest games at 60+ fps guaranteed? Will cost you 39.99 a month.

Sounds lame now, but the convenience factor~ plus the nature of cloud computing, I see it taking over the desktop in the future. Have your computer anywhere, needing only a terminal fast enough to stream your data with as little visual and input lag as possible, and let the remote system handle the load.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
i was expecting this to end up like them just using phone my pc but this turned out cooler wouldnt use it for mmos so hopefully i will work with other games

carbine

Reaction score
I've played with OnLive on my OLD laptop. Even got it working over wifi. This will absolutely be something that will REQUIRE high connection speeds. 4G if going over a data plan or wifi are the only things I could see working for this. What I experienced with OnLive was pretty nice, a bit of latency issues between what I saw on screen and the controls I was using, but absolutely 100% playable.

Being a WoW player I don't know if I could play it on such a small screen. Especially cloud-based. Couldn't use my addons. :p

SquintyOS

Reaction score
For the younger generation here on DF... Most of us have been brought up with video games and something like this would appeal some. And if only I'd waited to switch to a DROID Pro AFTER this idea came in mind. Personally, I'd be happy watching others use their huge screens for it. I'm perfectly fine with my BB-like formfactor. It's overall easier to do everything with one hand.

importune

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
yay plz gibbe crazy graphics and no stress on my phone, thanks

BTW: For all you kids who don't know about it, see http://www.onlive.com/ . This is already a reality. A reasonably priced one, too. Crazy graphics even on old nasty laptops that stink when you boot them up.

Last edited:

zodder

Reaction score
Being a WoW player I don't know if I could play it on such a small screen. Especially cloud-based. Couldn't use my addons. :p
I hear ya. lol Between this and Angry Birds, how the hell am I supposed to get anything done at work?! :)

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
Pretty cool stuff. On a side note, video has an overused annoying song in it.. Sounds better after the first 5 times you've heard it in other people's AMAZING gameplay. Notice the pink? That means I'm sarcastic... :-\

zodder

Reaction score
I assume the cell phone version is just a warm up for a tablet version? It would certainly make more sense on a tablet.....

Takenover83

Reaction score
Yep, as others have suggested. Give Onlive a spin. It really is a neat service.