WOW, for those of you with bad service in your home, a possible solution!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
As a Verizon corporate rep, I can also confirm there will be NO charge for this whatsoever!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
As a Verizon corporate rep, I can also confirm there will be NO charge for this whatsoever!

Why isn't this enabled by default if it helps phones get more coverage and it doesn't result in extra charges?
It costs Verizon money they're not recouping by charging for it. Every bit of data you use out-of-network they have to pay another carrier for.

And people like me might open up next month's bill and find that the six texts and eight IMs received on the phone while visiting Great Aunt Gertrude cost $26. And that song you just HAD to buy from Amazon for 99 cents? Yeah, try $38.99.

xliderider

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting stuff. I purchased a Network Extender for 1x voice calls and use wifi for data.

I have zero to one bar of 3g service at home.

tu3218

Reaction score
When I go to mobile network settings, an select 'data roaming', it gives me a message warning me about roaming an that I could incur significant roaming charges. Is that just false?

eliassami5

Reaction score
When I go to mobile network settings, an select 'data roaming', it gives me a message warning me about roaming an that I could incur significant roaming charges. Is that just false?

did you not read the posts before you? You will NOT be charged in the US...again you will NOT be charged anywhere in the US, outside of the US is a different story, thats what the warning message is for.

tbever

Reaction score

On the same subject, what does the System Select menu refer to (ie Home only vs Automatic)?

tu3218

Reaction score

did you not read the posts before you? You will NOT be charged in the US...again you will NOT be charged anywhere in the US, outside of the US is a different story, thats what the warning message is for.

Yeah I read it, but I just wanted to be clear an sure I was in the right area. Sorry but when it says 'significant charges', I like to be 100% sure on what I'm doing. They should be clear as to that doesn't include inside of the US, just outside.

05Ravenr6

Reaction score
I've got a really wierd issue with my droid...ever since I moved to my new apartment I cant make any calls or text messages...the funny part is that I have full 3G service in my apartment and am able to use data perfectly on 3G, but the minute I go to make a call it drops to nothing. It works fine right outside the house and everywhere else. I've never seen a problem like this before and its driving me insane :icon_evil:
I highly doubt enabling data roaming will change anything for my issue but I guess I can try it out

Mrs_Williams

Reaction score
The way Verizon works you have no roaming charges wihin the United States. be weary if your close to canada or close to mexico, hence texas border etc..because you could definitely pick up from their tower if the signal is stronger. Most people that are close to the canadian border or mexico border are usually the only one's that are recommended to turn their phone's on home only. By the way though they do charge for global roaming..so traveling to Canada or Mexico etc will occure global data charges..but who doesnt now day's. The reason why it states may occur massive charges is because that is the generic message that is stated regardless if you are in a covered or non covered area. Like I said with Verizon you either have coverage or you don't exception of the above (close to mexico or canadian border where you could occur roaming) then your fine.

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
As another poster already mentioned, if you already get 3g speeds this won't affect you, but for someone like me who has NEVER made a phone call on my cell phone within 10 miles of my house, it's amazing to see full 3g service here. Just trying to help others that might not have known about this. And I don't know how many times it has to be said; as long as you're in the US there are no charges. As another poster said I am going to leave this option on. I bet many of the dead zones in my state will now be live.