Would you trade your Max for a Galaxy S3 ?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by mkstn, Jul 16, 2012.

1. mkstn

mkstn New Member

Just curious to see what the Razor Max people think. If you had a choice which would you want? Both are nice and both have + and - features. So what do you all think?
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  2. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

My personal opinion is no most definitely not, I have had nothing but Motorola Android phones and have been happy with all of them. Battery life on my phone is too good to give up for anything the S3 has to offer.
  3. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

Had the Maxx (still do) and got a SG3. Maxx battery life is superior but that is all. The SG3 is smoother and the camera is just awesome in itself. I have had it for 3 days to see if I would like it better than the Maxx and the answer is yes. FYI- I get 14-18 hours out of the SG3 so I am still pleased.
  4. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

:clears throat: takes a deep breath... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!because I want the nexus moto that's coming at Christmas :) and the hd

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
  5. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

You cannot formulate an opinion (true opinion) unless you have experience with both. No data issues to date. 4G retainment is better on the SG3. Calls are clearer, the gorilla glass is generation 2 and it lighter and more polished. All in all the SG3 is awesome. Though I will be keeping my Maxx also since both are micro sim. That way I can use the Maxx during the week at work and the SG3 on nights and weekends.
  6. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 DF Administrator Staff Member

My preference is still the Maxx over the gS3...there are definitely some nice things about it, but the Maxx is still my primary phone.

Things that have gone well with the gS3 - screen is nice, battery life has been good and call clarity is nice. However, the signal strength is not as strong as my Maxx and it didn't seem to transition to 4g as quickly (once not at all) as my Maxx did. I have also had 3 data drops (once requiring a reboot) to regain data.

I think it all comes down to personal preference and if you have a chance to try one out, do so...
  7. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

While I do agree with that, I have used my cousins phone enough to know the S3 has nothing to offer me over my MAXX. My 4G is solid all day, phone calls are fine, GG2 is meaningless to me since I have a great screen protector and don't plan on bending my phone in half. I think I will hold out at least till the end of this year to even consider a new phone. Again just my opinion which is what the OP wanted, FWIW.

S3 is a great phone no doubt about that, just not enough to tempt me away. Or pay full price for since I don't want to lose my unlimited data.
  8. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

I'll just copy and past my response from a thread that was posted a couple days ago asking the same question:

I have a S3 on the way. I'm going to try it out only because I'm addicting to having the latest and greatest. If I weren't that type of person, and I kept phones for the long haul, I'm pretty sure I'd hold onto the MAXX.

That said, here's what I see as the pros and cons if someone is thinking about switching:

Pros

- Larger screen with a higher resolution
    - 2GB of RAM - With the way Android manages processes and apps, I'm not sure how big of a difference this will make now, but it definitely won't hinder anything.
    - Much better camera - This is huge for me, but not for everyone.
    - Removable battery - Nice for those times when you have a spare battery and no time/ability to plug into a charger.
    - More accessories - All versions have exactly the same dimensions, so accessories for the S3 are universal.
    - Some Touch Whiz features can be useful.

Cons

- Smaller battery (a huge con that could easily obliterate all of the pros)
    - Worse reception - Samsung's CDMA/LTE smartphones have all had noticeably poorer reception compared to Motorola devices. While the reception on the S3 appears to be better than previous devices, it's still not up to Motorola's level, or even HTC's level. Definitely a major consideration if you are areas with weak signal often. It will impact not only your ability to send/receive calls and use mobile data, but also your battery life.
    - Touch Whiz - This is really personal preference here, but I don't like Touch Whiz, plain and simple. There are some nice additions here and there, but overall, I strongly dislike the UI. The UI that Motorola uses, especially on ICS, is much nicer and far less intrusive. A custom launcher can remedy much of this, but not all of it.
    - Inferior build quality - Even though they feel cheap, I think the S3 is built pretty well. It's just not the resilient tank that the MAXX is.

Overall, I honestly think the cons outweigh the pros for the vast majority of people. The battery life and reception of the MAXX alone are enough to wipe out any advantages the S3 has in my book. As I said before, I've got a S3 on the way only because I'm always wanting to try out new phones. But if I were the type of person who generally sticks with a phone for a period of time longer than 2-3 months, I would without question stay with the MAXX. If I do like the S3, and I find myself willing to live with the decrease in battery life and reception, I'll only be keeping it until the RAZR HD drops anyway...or the rumored HTC phone with a 1080p display.
  9. CaptainSS

CaptainSS New Member

Played with an S3 last night for several hours ( Yes, have an S3 in the house along with an iPhone 4S, 2 Maxxs and a Razr)

I could have any one of them because I pay for ALL of them :icon_eek: - I carry a Maxx and that answers that.
  10. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 DF Administrator Staff Member

The Razr HD is one of two phones that I really want this year...I hope we see it soon.
  11. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Me too.. but I also wonder if/what the moto nexus will be like..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
  12. mkstn

mkstn New Member

All good answers....why can't someone make the ultimate phone. There are always compermises. All in all I think the S3 has the edge.
  13. CaptainSS

CaptainSS New Member

Depends. Overall functionality, doing the things "I" NEED a "Phone" to do.....make phone calls, get good solid reception, call quality, build quality, size, durability, BATTERY (2-3 Days).... - I give the Maxx the edge.
  14. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Have had the Maxx since February. Preordered an SIII and it came last Tuesday. As of last Saturday the SIII was already in the mail heading to it's new owner. There's my answer. :biggrin:
  15. mkstn

mkstn New Member

So tell us why? All agree the battery on the Max is superior but if it runs out you screwed. The S3 is very fast and has other features. I compaired a Razor (not the Max) for reception and it did not out perform the S3.
  16. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

I can sum it up in one word.

Reception

Or lack of. Network and wifi reception on the SIII was nowhere near as good as the Maxx or any of my other previous Moto devices. Same situation I had with the G'Nex. One other thing I did not like is that it was very uncomfortable to hold and use one handed. Even with a case. The buttons were down so low that they were really hard to thumb reach and the curved bottom made it really hard to keep a good hold on it. Battery life??? Well that goes without saying. Just nothing about it made me want to keep it and ditch the Maxx.
  17. tech_head

tech_head Member

Played with a Sprint S3. Picking up my daughter's Verizon S3 tomorrow.
    I'll keep my Maxx.
  18. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

The MAXX is perfect for me. The only reason I will upgrade now is if it is no longer supported, and the battery life of the replacement is as good or better than the MAXX.

That said, I don't care what tiny features might be better than what the MAXX has to offer. If it doesn't have equal or greater battery life, forget it.
  19. detroitwilly

detroitwilly New Member

The Galaxy S3 reminds me of a great phone to give my wife once she gets bored of her white iPhone.

I'll stick with the Maxx.

Does the S3 have Siri?
  20. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

That is weird. I am on the opposite end of this spectrum. I got my Maxx in March and also preordered a S3. I have had the S3 for about a week now and find that in all the areas (work/home and mall ect...) I am getting as good or better reception. My Maxx will be heading to Ebay soon.
Search tags for this page
can i trade my droid razr maxx hd for a galaxy 3
droid razor max hd traid for galaxy s3
galaxy s3 vs galaxymax
gs3 better than droid x?
how to trade in 2 droid razr maxx for galaxy s4
is trading droid razr maxx for galaxy s3 even trade
razr maxx vs galaxy s3 battery life
trade a razor maxx for a galaxy s3
trade galaxy s3 for razr maxx hd

trade razr maxx for galaxy s3

trade razr maxx hd for galaxy s3