Would you recommend Droid to a non tech friend?

greyghost04

Reaction score
I remember when I first got my Droid I considered returning it after a couple of days because it seemed too complex compared to my Ipod Touch ie. iPhone without the phone. After about 2 weeks I feel like I had it mastered. After 2 months I feel like it is now part of my body and could not live without it. Now, I consider myself a techy guy. I fix everyone's computer problems. That being said, would I recommend a Droid to an average non techy friend? Hmm, I don't know. How about you? Would you? Is the Droid a techy only phone or could your wife learn to use all it's capabilities?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yup, sure would. If it was my pops who I know will not want to research forums just to play around with it then. no I would send him to the iphone. But the droid is a solid device and can be used by non tech savy folks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I got the Droid my biggest issue was trying not to think of it as a Blackberry. If I would have got the Droid and never had a Blackberry it would have been easier for me to figure out.

On the other hand if I hadn't had a Blackberry first I wouldn't have appreciated it as much.:)

urklegrue

Reaction score
Is the Droid a techy only phone or could your wife learn to use all it's capabilities?

I don't have a wife, because I am one, but my non-techy husband seems to be incapable of using it. ;)

That said, my mom has a Droid. She is in her sixties, and she has had trouble adjusting.

Big Cam

Reaction score
When I got the Droid my biggest issue was trying not to think of it as a Blackberry. If I would have got the Droid and never had a Blackberry it would have been easier for me to figure out.

On the other hand if I hadn't had a Blackberry first I wouldn't have appreciated it as much.:)
You nailed it on the head.

With that said, NO, I wouldn't recomend this to a non-tech person. They wouldn't appreciate it, like my wife, I show her something and she goes, sigh, stupid, but you like it so that's cool.

Reaction score
There are several factors that I would consider prior to suggesting the Droid. For example; what do they like most about their current phone. What would they like to see their phone do etc ...
Personally, if I hadn’t stumbled upon this forum within a day of owning my Droid I most likely would have returned the phone. This forum alone has increased my confidence two fold regarding learning my phone.
I actually created a list which quickly grew to 12+ things I really disliked about the Droid. Following much time spent in these forums, that list is now down to just a few.
I miss the ability to completely edit emails, documents etc…. I have found even with Documents to Go, I cannot edit the body of an email etc…
That being said, the question; “What do you like most about your current phone?” should be a good indicator as to their potential like/dislike of the beloved Droid.

huskur

Reaction score
My wife is "scared" of my droid. She doesn't even want to touch it. (ok with me, i like it that way) :rolleyes:

KevinJ

Reaction score
My Dad would love to have one, but being an "old guy"* he doesn't want to pay for the monthly data plan. I've let him "mess around" with my Droid, and he picks up things pretty quick. Heck, he's got a better laptop than I do! :)

* - meant with love and affection for my pop. :D

Rettocs

Reaction score
I got the Droid Eris for my fiance, who is not a techie, and she loves it. The first day she had it, though, I showed her a few features, such as how to add shortcuts, what the menu does, etc. I'm sure that any person, techie or not, who spends enough time with these devices will learn to use them substantially.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I LOATH BlackBerries the tiny tiny small keyboard the stupid track ball thing....my salesmen here has one and the bossman and they are always asking me how do I do this or how do I do that. I hate touching those phones.

but the DROID is completely different. it takes some getting use to, but its FAR easier than a BB IMHO

-=Jason=-

loop4zil

Reaction score
I would be careful recommending a droid to a non-tech friend.

I like figuring out how things work and tweaking my technology to improve my day-to-day. I like the freedom android gives me. I like trying new apps and researching stuff,,,so the droid and android is right up my alley.

I have seen the 'openess' of droid annoy the heck out of people. The iPhone is more straight forward...and if you have itunes you can feel that you get a lot out of your investment...I think typical non-tech person might get 50% out of an iphone and 20% out of a droid.

Most obvious operations for a droid in descending order:

Phone
Text
Gmail
web search
ringtones
wallpaper
basic widgets like alarm clock
social networking
navigation (would have to be savy enought to get/use google maps)
basic informational apps like sportstapp or USATODAY

And with the wow factor of having a touchscreen smartphone LOTS of people stop right there. In my opinion You don't really need an advanced smart-phone if that is as far you are willing to go.

kaboyd

Reaction score
I am not a techie. This is my first smartphone. I just have a growing interest in how to use these gadgets and I'm very happy with how it's going so, yes. If they are willing to learn I would definitely recommend it. It's awesome not being told how my phone should look and act.