Would you purchase the S3 now or wait...

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S3' started by AlwaysBehind, Jan 22, 2013.

1. AlwaysBehind

AlwaysBehind New Member

My 2 year ATT contract is finally up and I'm ready to upgrade from my Samsung Infuse!! I've done some basic research and the S3 is the phone I would get. However, it being 8+ months old concerns me a little. I realize that there will always be something new coming out. Knowing what you know about the S3, if you were purchasing now, would you get it or wait with your existing phone.

Thanks for any comments,

AB
  2. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

My personal opinion is that the S3 (on Verizon, slightly different internals) is still one of, if not the best phone out there. Some will tell you the Note II, but for me, it's too big to be a phone.

It also depends on what's most important to you, though.

Welcome to the forum!
  3. JohnnyS101

JohnnyS101 New Member

I understand that this is an S3 forum and I have an s3 but if your not afraid of size get the note 2.it is a lot younger, bigger screen and has a quad core processor which will make it more future proof. Either that or wait for the s4 but that won't come out for months. I do however love my s3 and have since November like the first day

Sent from my SGS3 using Droid Forums
  4. AlwaysBehind

AlwaysBehind New Member

Thanks, both good comments. I have a few friends with the note II and they love it. I believe it would be a little large for my use. I think the S3 is the max size for a phone that I could deal with. Yes, I would rather hold out for the S4 but my Infuse will drive me crazy before then. I'm just afraid I'll be in the same situation with the S3 in 1 1/2 years. (I really hate these 2 year contracts).

Thanks for the comments.
  5. JohnnyS101

JohnnyS101 New Member

I know, I'm totally upset verizon got rid of their 1 year contracts, I wouldn't mind paying an extra 100 to 200 dollars a phone for a 1 year contract

6. milski65

milski65 Member

You may want to check amazon. Note II down to 199 if DL correct. Upgrades and new lines. Damn good deal. I'm a big guy, and it's too big for me. Got my daughter S3. Awesome phone. If I wasn't so set on moto phones is get one myself.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD
  7. Crankintopwater69

Crankintopwater69 Well-Known Member

Personally,Id wait and see whats up with these babies-S4,N5,LG Pro,and Moto X.DancingNexus
  8. k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t Well-Known Member

Hm, I'd say if you can find one of those 1 cent deals or something on Amazon/Ebay for an S3 when you use an upgrade I'd DEFINITELY go for that. If you really want a phone right now and don't want to wait, I'd say the S3, but you'll still pay full price from when it came out, which will be the standard price of any new phones coming out.

So basically it comes down to patience. I'd say wait maybe another month and see what the smartphone world is talking about. If some super stellar revolutionary phone is coming out, might be worth waiting for. If not, then you undoubtedly can't go wrong with the S3. However I remember the infuse and I know I could never have used it for 2 years, so I don't blame you wanting to go out and get a new phone tomorrow.

You really can't lose either way. I just hate that "yeah this is great, but what if...." feeling. If that's not a problem, S3 over anything else.
  9. JohnnyS101

JohnnyS101 New Member

There's early talks of the SIV already with it being a 5 inch phone with no physical buttons and possibly an 8 core processor. Not sure if I believe the last rumor but it also is edge to edge. Release time is around may like the s3

10. k1ngr4t

I'm skeptical of it being 5 inches. I'd think they'd more likely expand the border a few centimeters and make the actual screen bigger. The Note should be the "big phone" series. 5 inches is too wide to fit comfortably in my pocket. Galaxy is the more all around series.
  11. JohnnyS101

JohnnyS101 New Member

I understand your thinking, but I got my information from verifiable resources, also, the S3 is at 4.8 inches, increase screen size and not phone like you said and .2 inches isn't a much bigger phone at all

12. k1ngr4t

In that case can you verify these sources?

My friend has a Note 1, which was 5 inches. It didn't slip into my pocket as nicely as my S3. That .2 inches makes all the difference. Though they could open the borders .05 inches and expand the actual screen itself. That would give it a noticeable increase in size while not maing the phone much bigger, just like how the Razr screens wrap all the way to the edges, to make them look bigger, but are technically the same size.
  13. AlwaysBehind

AlwaysBehind New Member

Thanks all for the comments. I may try and hold out 1 month.

K1ngr4t - I'm not familiar with the 1c deals. I'll have to check into that. The cheapest I've seen the S3 recently is $99.
  14. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

If i were you I would wait for the S4. I think it is due out in Q1
  15. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Well-Known Member

This or the other 2 power houses that may or may not be coming. the sony ZL or the optimus g pro.
  16. debrad0307

debrad0307 New Member

The size of the phone (s3) is a little shocking at first, it could also be a little intimidating (depending on what phone you're coming from) but, I got used to the size fast. I also wouldn't trade my s3 for anything. Got mine in August and it still continues to amaze me. There is no better phone on the market right now IMO

Sent from my Synergized SCH-I535
  17. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

The original Galaxy Note actually has a 5.3" screen (making it a half an inch larger than the S3, which is quite a difference) along with having a wider screen. Those two things account for the pocketability difference you experienced. The Galaxy Note 2, even though it has a screen that's .2" larger than the original Note, is actually more pocketable than the Note because the screen isn't as wide and the bezel is smaller. All indications are point towards a 4.9"/5" screen for the S4. Much of that will probably be done by shrinking the bezel a bit more, so I wouldn't expect the overall size of the S4 to be much bigger than the S3.

To the OP, the S3 is still one of the best phones out today. And that's saying a lot in the Android world. Usually a phone is showing signs of being outdated within a few months of release. But that's not the case with the S3. Samsung is pushing out some really great devices. Personally, if I were looking to buy a new phone on Verizon right now, I would go with the Note 2 followed by the S3 (full disclosure - the Note 2 is greatest phone I've ever owned, so I'm always going to sneak some praise for it in wherever I can :biggrin: - but I also had the S3 for several months and loved it.) If you want to wait a bit, the S4 will be announced in the upcoming months, but of course it might be awhile before it makes it's way to the U.S. and to Verizon (probably sometime over the summer). It's always tough to recommend waiting (unless the current device in question is poor or outdated, which isn't the case here) because you could always wait for the next big thing, and by the time it's released, you might as well wait for the next big thing. It can become a vicious cycle.

My recommendation is go into a Verizon store and check out the phones for yourself (if you haven't already). Or play around with one that a friend or family member owns. If you like it, go for it. Even at this point, the S3 is going to easily get you through a two year contract and then some (that 2GB of RAM is really going to give it some serious staying power). It's an incredibly capable device.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  18. k1ngr4t

Ahh ok, well 5 in for the S4 makes more sense now. For whatever reason that's what I thought the note was. Even at 4.8 people always comment on how big my phone is. I can't tell if they like it or not but...I know I love it so. I'll have to experience 5 before I judge it...
  19. feralchick

feralchick New Member

If you are going to hold out for the new releases I suggest waiting at least 2 weeks before purchasing one. Check the forums to see what the bugs are. They all have some glitch which may not be an issue for you depending on your needs. For example: poorer reception in marginal areas, headphone jack problems, battery life, etc. People tend to post about issues/problems which doesn't mean every phone in that line has them but from my experience it's a good thing to know.

I love my S3 and have no doubt it will stand up to newer phones.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  20. mettech

mettech Member

"Patience is a Virtue" The best is yet to come..

Waiting three months for the next generation is advised,
Search tags for this page

buy s3 now or wait for s4

dont buy note3 wait for note 4

is s3 now worth to buy

is s3 worth buying now