Would you purchase the S3 now or wait...

AlwaysBehind

Reaction score
My 2 year ATT contract is finally up and I'm ready to upgrade from my Samsung Infuse!! I've done some basic research and the S3 is the phone I would get. However, it being 8+ months old concerns me a little. I realize that there will always be something new coming out. Knowing what you know about the S3, if you were purchasing now, would you get it or wait with your existing phone.

Thanks for any comments,

AB

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that the S3 (on Verizon, slightly different internals) is still one of, if not the best phone out there. Some will tell you the Note II, but for me, it's too big to be a phone.

It also depends on what's most important to you, though.

Welcome to the forum!

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
I understand that this is an S3 forum and I have an s3 but if your not afraid of size get the note 2.it is a lot younger, bigger screen and has a quad core processor which will make it more future proof. Either that or wait for the s4 but that won't come out for months. I do however love my s3 and have since November like the first day

Sent from my SGS3 using Droid Forums

OP
A

AlwaysBehind

Reaction score
Thanks, both good comments. I have a few friends with the note II and they love it. I believe it would be a little large for my use. I think the S3 is the max size for a phone that I could deal with. Yes, I would rather hold out for the S4 but my Infuse will drive me crazy before then. I'm just afraid I'll be in the same situation with the S3 in 1 1/2 years. (I really hate these 2 year contracts).

Thanks for the comments.

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
I know, I'm totally upset verizon got rid of their 1 year contracts, I wouldn't mind paying an extra 100 to 200 dollars a phone for a 1 year contract

milski65

Reaction score
You may want to check amazon. Note II down to 199 if DL correct. Upgrades and new lines. Damn good deal. I'm a big guy, and it's too big for me. Got my daughter S3. Awesome phone. If I wasn't so set on moto phones is get one myself.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
My 2 year ATT contract is finally up and I'm ready to upgrade from my Samsung Infuse!! I've done some basic research and the S3 is the phone I would get. However, it being 8+ months old concerns me a little. I realize that there will always be something new coming out. Knowing what you know about the S3, if you were purchasing now, would you get it or wait with your existing phone.

Thanks for any comments,

AB
Personally,Id wait and see whats up with these babies-S4,N5,LG Pro,and Moto X.DancingNexus

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Hm, I'd say if you can find one of those 1 cent deals or something on Amazon/Ebay for an S3 when you use an upgrade I'd DEFINITELY go for that. If you really want a phone right now and don't want to wait, I'd say the S3, but you'll still pay full price from when it came out, which will be the standard price of any new phones coming out.

So basically it comes down to patience. I'd say wait maybe another month and see what the smartphone world is talking about. If some super stellar revolutionary phone is coming out, might be worth waiting for. If not, then you undoubtedly can't go wrong with the S3. However I remember the infuse and I know I could never have used it for 2 years, so I don't blame you wanting to go out and get a new phone tomorrow.

You really can't lose either way. I just hate that "yeah this is great, but what if...." feeling. If that's not a problem, S3 over anything else.

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
There's early talks of the SIV already with it being a 5 inch phone with no physical buttons and possibly an 8 core processor. Not sure if I believe the last rumor but it also is edge to edge. Release time is around may like the s3

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I'm skeptical of it being 5 inches. I'd think they'd more likely expand the border a few centimeters and make the actual screen bigger. The Note should be the "big phone" series. 5 inches is too wide to fit comfortably in my pocket. Galaxy is the more all around series.

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
I'm skeptical of it being 5 inches. I'd think they'd more likely expand the border a few centimeters and make the actual screen bigger. The Note should be the "big phone" series. 5 inches is too wide to fit comfortably in my pocket. Galaxy is the more all around series.

I understand your thinking, but I got my information from verifiable resources, also, the S3 is at 4.8 inches, increase screen size and not phone like you said and .2 inches isn't a much bigger phone at all

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I understand your thinking, but I got my information from verifiable resources, also, the S3 is at 4.8 inches, increase screen size and not phone like you said and .2 inches isn't a much bigger phone at all

In that case can you verify these sources?

My friend has a Note 1, which was 5 inches. It didn't slip into my pocket as nicely as my S3. That .2 inches makes all the difference. Though they could open the borders .05 inches and expand the actual screen itself. That would give it a noticeable increase in size while not maing the phone much bigger, just like how the Razr screens wrap all the way to the edges, to make them look bigger, but are technically the same size.

OP
A

AlwaysBehind

Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments. I may try and hold out 1 month.

K1ngr4t - I'm not familiar with the 1c deals. I'll have to check into that. The cheapest I've seen the S3 recently is $99.