Would you pay for an OTA Bootloader code?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by FSRBIKER, Jul 16, 2010.

?

Would you pay for an OTA code to unlock/load custom Rom's?

1. Great idea, I'll pay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'll never pay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $10 for this option

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. $25 for this option

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had an idea that to unlock a bootloader we could pay(say $25) the manufacturer for an OTA code that could be used only on your phone. When you unlock it the manufacturer would then have the information on file that your devices warranty is now void which would benefit them. We would then be responsible for repairs if ever needed on our phones but we could then hack away. Let me know what you think.

If you are voting that this is a great idea, please indicate your choice of cost which would be fair to you and the manufacturer.

2. sic0048

sic0048 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This isn't going to happen. While I do think it is Motorola alone that has decided to encrypt their bootloader, I have no doubt that Verizon requires their device manufactures to "lock" their phones. Verizon doesn't want people adding capabilities like wireless tethering when they want to sell that service to users.

Motorola has MUCH more to loose by pissing off Verizon than they would ever gain by getting $25 from 100,000 users. By selling the encryption key, motorola would basically be saying, "here is the key to go screw Verizon - have fun!". Verizon wouldn't stand for that.

When are people going understand that "hackers" are the extreme minority here? The real money is with the main stream public - and companies follow the money trail.

3. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, Charlie.

I don't intend to voluntarily give up my warranty.

Contrary to conflicting mythology the warranty is NOT voided by rooting the phone.

I'll do what I please with the hardware I purchased, thank you.

Feel free to give away YOUR rights, but no, you're not giving away mine.

Oh and no, officer, you may NOT search my car,house, office. It's not because I have something to hide... it's because I have the right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure.

Cheers

E