Would you get Verizon wireless home internet?

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
It's an absolute game changer, with AT&T likely not far behind.

Further down the road if, say, Comcast and Time Warner were to buy Sprint and TMo then most of the country would have at least 4 wireless cable/internet options to choose from.

The cable model is slowly dying, anyway, with many channels/networks offering streaming options over the internet. Although I'm highly skeptical the long wished a-la-carte pricing would actually be a net positive for the consumer (likely we end-up paying a little less for a lot less options, and it's really going to hurt niche content providers).

you are right about the a-la-carte pricing. with each individual network wanting their own streaming service, the pricing is quite high. the thing is, a lot of knowledgeable cord cutters know where to get their shows for free.

as far as the cable model going, I say goodbye. I rather watch my shows on demand instead of paying cable for the shows, then paying again to record them because of not being able to watch them when originally scheduled.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Yep. I don't see how more competition is a bad thing - it's a superior alternative to NN rules.

Now, all the pricing boogeyman the doomsayers keep using to justify NN rules becomes an increasing concern with LESS competition....but the simple truth is such issues have been fairly rare WITHOUT any additional NN rules.

I think VZW stopped expanding FIOS because they saw the future with 5G, which would lower the ROI on FIOS to the point the investment didn't make sense (given they would have to invest in 5G, anyway, the FIOS investment would be redundant and ultimately obsolete).

5G is the future but so was 4G at one time with similar promises. and I am still stuck paying two service providers. one for the phone and one for home internet.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
5G is the future but so was 4G at one time with similar promises. and I am still stuck paying two service providers. one for the phone and one for home internet.

But VZW never promised to bring home broadband service with 4G. And it makes sense - 5G has 10-40X the bandwidth.

But apparently it remains to be seen whether VZW can bring this service to market at a competitive cost (and they've said they only plan to target 25-30% of the home broadband market).

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
But VZW never promised to bring home broadband service with 4G. And it makes sense - 5G has 10-40X the bandwidth.

But apparently it remains to be seen whether VZW can bring this service to market at a competitive cost (and they've said they only plan to target 25-30% of the home broadband market).

actually they did though it was directed more towards rural users.

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
actually they did though it was directed more towards rural users.
Sauce?

I don't remember promises of 4g home internet, but I do remember promises of speeds 10x my current 3g, and they definitely delivered on it... Unlimited and all the other fiascos, they do delivery on speed most of the time.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Now, all the pricing boogeyman the doomsayers keep using to justify NN rules becomes an increasing concern with LESS competition....but the simple truth is such issues have been fairly rare WITHOUT any additional NN rules.
It's not about making more rules. It's about keeping the ones we have.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's not about making more rules. It's about keeping the ones we have.

Exactly, and saying that the internet isn't a telecommunications service is exactly like saying telephones aren't, it's stupid.

I mean, Pai literally made jokes about being installed by Verizon while all this garbage is going on.

Sure this will help add more competition in an unsaturated market and fill wireless is the future, that doesn't mean repealing NN is a good idea. It's a slippery slope

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You mean the ones that allowed ATT to block Apples FaceTime on Apples own phones? Yep...great rules.

No, the rules did not allow that. And AT&T stopped the practice voluntarily (and likely because they were going to lose in court, under EXISTING laws).

Can we stop we the BS boogeyman stories? I mean, you do realize that the laws themselves don't stop anything - enforcing the laws in the courts does. I still don't think I've seen a single NN "issue" that wasn't addressed by existing law.

Do you guys SERIOUSLY want MORE big govt in your internet? Seriously?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You SERIOUSLY trust your ISP that much? You cannot be that naive. This is not scare tactics because people want more regulations. No one likes MORE regulations however, making it all about "more laws = bad" is missing the bigger picture. And trusting giant corporations to behave? Bwahaha!
Other then "more laws = bad", what other reasons do you have for thinking Ajit Pai is a stand up guy doing the right thing?

Comcast hints at plan for paid fast lanes after net neutrality repeal