Would you get Verizon wireless home internet?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Verizon has already told my city that the sections that don't have FIOS now, ain't ever going to get it. I just hope they don't sell us off to Frontier like they're doing in other parts of the country.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Interesting. Not sure if I would use them for home Internet, but maybe if the price was right. Maybe with a big bundle discount for home Internet / cell phone package? Is this the start of the future? No more cables running yo our homes & apartments, just an antenna outside to relay Internet inside?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
no way would I get verizon. especially if net neutrality is dead. they would have so many different fees for this and that it would be ridicules.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Verizon has already told my city that the sections that don't have FIOS now, ain't ever going to get it. I just hope they don't sell us off to Frontier like they're doing in other parts of the country.

not surprising. it will take discrimination lawsuits from people in some of those areas to force verizon whether it is because of race or because of income.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
not surprising. it will take discrimination lawsuits from people in some of those areas to force verizon whether it is because of race or because of income.

Hmmm... trust me. Some of the neighborhoods that did not FIOS are going to have a really tough time making that argument. But isn't the only broadband option here either, just the only Fiber option. We also have COX Cable which covers most of the city. Before we bought this house, my wife and looked at new development that was currently being built. The neighborhood and all homes were pre-wired for Cox and the cost for service was built into the HOA fees with no Opt-out. We passed.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Hmmm... trust me. Some of the neighborhoods that did not FIOS are going to have a really tough time making that argument. But isn't the only broadband option here either, just the only Fiber option. We also have COX Cable which covers most of the city. Before we bought this house, my wife and looked at new development that was currently being built. The neighborhood and all homes were pre-wired for Cox and the cost for service was built into the HOA fees with no Opt-out. We passed.

I guess there would be neighborhoods that they would not go into for other reasons. I only read and hear about race and income as reasons for cases already going to court.

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
This isn't FiOS it's wireless so they don't have to do installs they don't have to run anything under the streets

I was looking forward to Google Fiber or FiOS where I'm living and that's definitely not going to happen but if this 5G stuff really can change the game I'm down

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If their 5 city test rollout goes well, I can see them rolling this out all over the country. Some extra competition in the market might be good for us consumers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Exactly Lifted! Verizon has decided not to invest in the fiber infra-structure any more. They're putting their eggs into the Wireless basket now.

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Exactly Lifted! Verizon has decided not to invest in the fiber infra-structure any more. They're putting their eggs into the Wireless basket now.
I'm absolutely fine with that I would prefer a world where we don't have cables everywhere and we're getting internet out in a rural area is as simple as installing a little antenna outside your window

Suing Verizon for discrimination both race and income based on them not rolling out their infrastructure to certain neighborhoods is absolutely ridiculous and something I cannot get behind in the slightest

Nothing political here just saying it's not the government's job to tell a private company where to put their services

That being said I was incredibly upset when I found out there was no chance of me getting FiOS or any other Fiber Optic internet in my area

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I tend to agree about the cables. without cables, maybe there could be more competition between the service providers and fewer court battles over the use of poles and underground access. In addition as you stated easier access to rural areas. I love living in the country but cannot do it at this time since cell phone and cable access is extremely limited.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... trust me. Some of the neighborhoods that did not FIOS are going to have a really tough time making that argument. But isn't the only broadband option here either, just the only Fiber option.

Yep. I don't see how more competition is a bad thing - it's a superior alternative to NN rules.

Now, all the pricing boogeyman the doomsayers keep using to justify NN rules becomes an increasing concern with LESS competition....but the simple truth is such issues have been fairly rare WITHOUT any additional NN rules.

I think VZW stopped expanding FIOS because they saw the future with 5G, which would lower the ROI on FIOS to the point the investment didn't make sense (given they would have to invest in 5G, anyway, the FIOS investment would be redundant and ultimately obsolete).

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yep. I don't see how more competition is a bad thing - it's a superior alternative to NN rules.

Now, all the pricing boogeyman the doomsayers keep using to justify NN rules becomes an increasing concern with LESS competition....but the simple truth is such issues have been fairly rare WITHOUT any additional NN rules.

I think VZW stopped expanding FIOS because they saw the future with 5G, which would lower the ROI on FIOS to the point the investment didn't make sense (given they would have to invest in 5G, anyway, the FIOS investment would be redundant and ultimately obsolete).
If anything it's a smart business move, now they can move all investments into 5g and roll their network out even faster, they don't have to dig up roads or make calls with Comcast to do it either, here's hoping starry starts expanding soon too...

I can't wait until there's more options

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If their 5 city test rollout goes well, I can see them rolling this out all over the country. Some extra competition in the market might be good for us consumers.

It's an absolute game changer, with AT&T likely not far behind.

Further down the road if, say, Comcast and Time Warner were to buy Sprint and TMo then most of the country would have at least 4 wireless cable/internet options to choose from.

The cable model is slowly dying, anyway, with many channels/networks offering streaming options over the internet. Although I'm highly skeptical the long wished a-la-carte pricing would actually be a net positive for the consumer (likely we end-up paying a little less for a lot less options, and it's really going to hurt niche content providers).