would this work to install sholes rom?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by searayman, Jan 22, 2010.

1. searayman

searayman New Member

Step 2. extract rar file to the nandroid folded on your phones sd card.
    Step 3. reboot into recovery mode. (power phone off, slide keyboard open, press and hold "X", power on phone.
    Step 4. select "backup/restore"
    Step 5. select "advanced nandroid restore"
    Step 6. select "choose backup"

The rom is a .tgz.tar

is this all i got to do to get this rom working if i already have rooted 2.01 and nandroid etc.?
  2. brianr0131

brianr0131 New Member

NO NO NO

put at root level of sd card and choose install from nandroid menu

your method can brick your droid
  3. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

Yeah, sholes.info specifically warns against doing that because it will brick your phone
  4. searayman

searayman New Member

so if i put it at root do i have to edit the end of the file name or something? also i think i tried this and when i was in the nandroid menue i didnt see any install option to choose. I saw liek update and partition cache etc.
  5. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

Please go to sholes.info and read all there posts, here is there post detailing installation

How to install(Note: DO NOT ATTEMPT to restore the.rom.tgz using backup/restore, you will fail/ brick your phone)(Note: This update REQUIRES (not “maybe I can get away with it”. ***REQUIRES***) sprecovery version 0.99.2b. It WILL NOT INSTALL unless you have this version installed (it will error with status 15 or 154.)) you have this version installed (it will error with status 15 or 154.)) menu) installation of 2.1 or any ROM that is significantly different from stock 2.0.1, say yes. *If you are installing over stock 2.0.1, over a previous version of Berzerker’s, birdman’s, or my ROM you can safely select no might need to resign into Google through the market after.)

Edit: I'm on my droid and something didn't copy right from sholes.info, just go read there posts
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  6. searayman

searayman New Member

i read it but its pretty confusing especially the whole adb push things...
  7. mkraffert

mkraffert New Member

I keep getting an error 154 installing Smoked Glass 6.0.1. I can install Smoked Glass 4.5 without errors. I am using version 0.99.2b, but it keeps erroring. What am I doing wrong?
  8. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

do you still have sholes mod or did you switch to droidmod
  9. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

10. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

When does the error pop up, when you click on install or after you select all the options in the tar file (theme, kernel, optional apps, and whatever else may be in there).

Did you alter the file in anyway when downloading it, aka rename it?

Did you download the .zip or the non-zipped one? Maybe your browser changed it, some browsers don't like certain file extensions when downloading it?

Maybe the file was corrupt when downloading (although this should give a different error code).

When you installed it, did you follow AdamZ's instructions?

I am completely pulling things out of my rear that could possibly go wrong. I am not sure what error code 154 is, so I am just trying to trouble shoot common mistakes.
  11. mkraffert

mkraffert New Member

I tried it with both the tar and the zip files. Same error. Is 'seems' to start installing, sits there for a monute or so, then stops with the error. I followed the instructions to the letter, figuring it was something I was doing wrong. And it's only the 6.0.1 rom that errors. The 4.5 one works fine.
  12. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Does his 6.0.1 require 99.3b recovery?

Also, when installing a tar, it always does an automatic "pre-install" nandroid backup. If there is not enough room on the sdcard, the rom will not install.

It must be something - lots of people installed that version without problems.
  13. mkraffert

mkraffert New Member

Knowing me, it's operator error! :confused:
  14. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

I didn't think about the tgz making a backup prior to installing, good call on that one. Do you have a lot of nandroid backups in your nandroid folder on your sdcard? Maybe deleting a few of them will help, you can (and should) back them up to your PC.
  15. mkraffert

mkraffert New Member

I've only got about 4 nandroid backups. But to use teh rom, I've been putting that in the sdcard root and doing install. When I tried making a directory under nandroid for it I didn't even get this far. I have all of it backed up on my pc too, just in case. Not that anyone has ever loost data before! :rofl3:
  16. Humpa

Humpa New Member

This has nothing to do with how many nandroids are in the nandroid folder. It is about available space on the sdcard. There MUST be enough available space on the sdcard for the pre-install nandroid and for the recovery to unpack the rom during its install process.

The rom.tgz file does NOT go in the nandroid folder. It goes in the root of your sdcard and then you choose the "install > install from sdcard" option in recovery.

EDIT: aren't there install instructions on Adamz's post/thread? You should use those instructions, and perhaps post on an Adamz thread - not that we mind helping in this thread.
  17. mkraffert

mkraffert New Member

I couldn't find a thread specific to Adamz roms. I have 9.34 GB free on my sdcard. I did try to install it from the root of the sdcard. I even tried re-downloading it to see if maybe I had a corrupt copy. It's just the 6.0.1 that doesn't work. I figured this would be some simple newbie mistake on my part, but the other roms I've installed this way have all worked.
  18. Humpa

Humpa New Member

huh? lol
    Here is the original Adamz Smoked Glass V6 thread (why would you use any other thread than this?):
    [ROM.tgz] Smoked Glass v6.0.1 *03/15* (Android 2.1 - ESE53))
  19. mkraffert

mkraffert New Member

I'm registered on AllDroid, but I don'thave permission to post. I guess that's why I posted it here. :eek:hmy:
  20. Humpa

Humpa New Member

You can post, it is a public forum. ;)
    ... perhaps you cannot start a new thread though until you have at least 1(?) post. So just post on the actual thread (which is where you'd want to post anyway).

Not that I care - I don't much like alldroid.org and their "closed" atmosphere anyway.
Search tags for this page

best sholes rom