Would someone please explain " cache " on the applications area of the phone ?

Rogerdodger

Reaction score
Hello ----------- I have a general question , and I hope I am posting

this in the correct area . In the phone ( Droid ) there is a page that has

all of the applications that are on the screens . There is one place that

shows the word " Cach " .... What is this and what is it used for ?

I'm still pretty new to some of this stuff so I would appreciate an

explanation . :) Thanks much ... I alway enjoy checking all

the forums and such around here to see if I can get further along on all of

this stuff ............. and not have to ask SO many questions .

Thanks much ..............

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache?wasRedirected=true

Kinda similar to temporary internet files in a way. I'm sure someone else can clarify a bit more, but this will get you started.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For some reason Jonny's link isn't live, but this one should be. Cache Let us know if that clears it up for you Rodgerdodger!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My apologies...I think that's a Tapatalk issue. Df doesn't recognize it as a link. Tell me if this works...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cach...ut...Haha! Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My apologies...I think that's a Tapatalk issue. Df doesn't recognize it as a link. Tell me if this works...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cach... if you copy and paste it into the browser...

OP
R

Rogerdodger

Reaction score
Thanks Anne ---- and Johnny Kansas ............

So ------ if I understand this it is part of the internal operating system in that particular app to help it run right ?
I guess my REAL question was ---------- Do you EVER touch that particular setting ? Thanks again .

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sometimes it can get bogged down. Clearing it allows an app to perform better, but COULD lose a little bit of data you don't expect to lose. None of that data should be irreplaceable though. Cache us basically a place where info is stored in order for an app to access it more quickly.

Most notably, sometimes the Gmail app doesn't seem to sync unless you refresh it automatically. Clearing the cache fixes that issue. However, most users experiencing that issue are rooted and running custom ron's.

vrdubin6

Reaction score
Thanks Anne ---- and Johnny Kansas ............

So ------ if I understand this it is part of the internal operating system in that particular app to help it run right ?
I guess my REAL question was ---------- Do you EVER touch that particular setting ? Thanks again .

Yeah you can touch it... some people regularly clear their cache. It will just regenerate cache data. I guess to sum it up it pretty much stores information to help it be quicker by already having certain files cached so it doesnt have to reload them. I usually clear my cache every couple of days just to clean things up.

Edit... Jonny beat me to it... :)

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And to add to what Jonny said, apps like Google maps (if you use navigation a lot) accumulate cache and start to slow down a bit. If someone is starting to run slow, that's one of the first things to do is go into Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications and clear out the cache. It works wonders sometimes.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
And to add to what Anne said, the same goes for browser history (on the phone OR PC).

In the stock browser, holding the back button will bring up browsing history. Once there, press menu to clear history.

In Dolphin, holding the back button gives the option of either exiting, or clearing cache and exiting.

Personally, I've found issues with Google Buzz not loading properly in the stick browser. After clearing history, it loads fine.

OP
R

Rogerdodger

Reaction score
--- GOSH -------- Thank you all ------------

I know I'll learn something if I stick around here ----------- Just so my boss doesn't find me toodling around here instead of working ! --------
---
It's easy to get sidetracked ----------

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Read up! Plenty to learn has already beenvposted. If you can't find what you're looking for, feel free to ask!

pyro6128

Reaction score
I regularly clear out the caches of every app on my phone to free up space. I have never noticed any ill effects from doing this. Cachemate does the job quite nicely. It also lets you clear market search histories and internet histories and all that stuff. Cache is fine to delete. Now the data in app, if you clear that, then you may lose certain things temporarily. Like with the email app, if you clear cache, everything is fine. If you clear the data, then you have to set your accounts up again.

And you'll learn a LOT if you stick around here. Lord knows I have

OP
R

Rogerdodger

Reaction score
I regularly clear out the caches of every app on my phone to free up space. I have never noticed any ill effects from doing this. Cachemate does the job quite nicely. It also lets you clear market search histories and internet histories and all that stuff. Cache is fine to delete. Now the data in app, if you clear that, then you may lose certain things temporarily. Like with the email app, if you clear cache, everything is fine. If you clear the data, then you have to set your accounts up again.

And you'll learn a LOT if you stick around here. Lord knows I have

---------- FOR SURE --------- Thank you , and Johnny again !

Like I said before -- Great site --- Can get habbit forming ! ------ :)