Would rooting my Droid 2 increase performance/speed?

Algae998

Reaction score
I've noticed my phone has been lagging and slowing down a lot lately. Sometimes it takes a minute or two for the screen to turn on, for the homepage to show and icons/widgets, loading pictures and thumbnails, and just general lag. It shows I have 3.6gb free on my 16gb sd card and 5.6gb available on internal phone storage.
Would rooting my phone help this anyway?
Im still foggy on some of the benefits of rooting, other than more control of the phone and os.
Any info, tips or ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks!

wmedina1991

Reaction score
Well you could overclock your cpu and install roms that have been modded and tweaked for max performance

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

negropy

Reaction score
If you root and get jrummy's overclock app, you can fix permissions and that helped more than overclocking in my case.

Sent from my R2D2

louy99

Reaction score
Yes, I agree with everyone. Jrummys overclock is the best for our phones period! Your phone will be faster...and it will be extremely fast overclocked and running a rom like liberty 1.5 ;)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score

Pyzon

Reaction score
Seems to me that if performance has dropped off then maybe some remedial steps might work better than overclocking. How about a reset first ?

txter

Reaction score
What about cleaning the cache. That always helps a bit.

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Ill have to check out more information on rooting, I don't know much about it.
How can I clear the cashe? I can only find the internet cashe.

louy99

Reaction score
What about cleaning the cache. That always helps a bit.

You talking about in recovery?

txter

Reaction score
In market, search for cache cleaner. You need to be rooted but its just one way to help speed things up. Their are a few cleaners out there but you need to be rooted for them.

sandycub

Reaction score
I just got a droid 2 and reading these forums and people keep referring to "rooting" and that it willenhance performance. What is rooting??

Reaction score
I just got a droid 2 and reading these forums and people keep referring to "rooting" and that it willenhance performance. What is rooting??

The act of "rooting" itself does nothing to the performance of the phone (as far as I'm aware). The apps you can use, and other things that you can achieve through having root access can speed up your phone. Things like overclocking, installing a ROM, etc.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

sandycub

Reaction score
What is rooting? How do you do it? What is overclocking? Don't mean to sound dumb - this is my first smartphone.

Khiraji

Reaction score
I'm far from the most knowledgeable rooting expert here, but what "rooting" does is give you access to the highest level of "security clearance" on your device. Android was originally (as far as I know) derived from some Linux builds, where "root" access refers to the highest tier of security clearance.

These days it's fairly simple to root, though that may change soon with new software being rolled out. Also, I'm fairly certain that rooting voids your warranty - it is possible to brick your phone doing things which require root access (flashing ROMs, primarily) but at least from what I've seen on these forums a true, hopelessly-bricked D2 is rare; there's usually some way to bring it back to life.

There are a lot of strong opinions these days when it comes to rooting, warranty claims, insurance and the state of the Android modding community as a whole, which I don't want to bring up here. I suppose the best thing to keep in mind if you start down the rooting path, be absolutely sure you know what you're doing. There are libraries worth of information on these forums and other places, which have helped me immensely.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Going back to clearing cache, Droid 2 overclock has a cache cleaner that gets way more than cache mate for root users. At least 50mb more. Its in the extras settings. Also what does it mean to fix permissions?

Sent from my rooted DROID2