Would like to root- Samsung S4 I545 with 4.4.2 Verizon

xray

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S4 i545
Hi, folks I have a Samsung S4 I545 (Verizon) with 4.4.2 and I have done a lot of Googling and I can't find a way to root this. A lot of others have been having a hard time doing the same with this particular Verizon model. I tried towelroot and a few other programs to no avail. Was hoping someone here might know of a way. Thanks.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum xray! Hang in there and hopefully one of our many knowledgeable members can give you a hand with the latest root method for this device. Good luck!

S5 tap'n

OP
X

xray

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S4 i545
No, I haven't, wicked. I've never tried rooting or anything this advanced with a smartphone before. I read the comments section in the link you supplied and it seems a lot of people are having an issue with random reboots using that technique. It makes me a little nervous to give it a go. I just got this phone last week and with a two year contract, so taking a chance at screwing it up makes me nervous. Perhaps if the contract was almost through I'd be a little more adventurous, but the comments there make me very hesitant.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
I can walk you step by step on this. As well as a tutorial! ;)

I am currently running what you are looking to achieve!-I have all the files needed to do so! First look in my signature on how to flash using odin..that is the basic procedure you will be using

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I can walk you step by step on this. As well as a tutorial! ;)

I am currently running what you are looking to achieve!-I have all the files needed to do so! First look in my signature on how to flash using odin..that is the basic procedure you will be using
Boom! KaosMaster is the man!

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
First step..I recommend you use the verizon assistant and repair the device. This will ensure your device is programmed properly and reset to factory before you begin

JihoSSJ5

Reaction score
First step..I recommend you use the verizon assistant and repair the device. This will ensure your device is programmed properly and reset to factory before you begin

Hi, just got this phone and I have the same problem. What happens after this?

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hi, just got this phone and I have the same problem. What happens after this?
You need to download the old NC5 I545 kernel and boot image .tar.md5.
You need to download the new NK1 I545 kernel and boot image .tar.md5
You need to download odin 3.10.zip

Make sure your device is currently Programmed at NK1 in the about phone.

Install towelroot app from website.
Place the device in download mode.
Flash the NC5 kernel to device.
Open towelroot and "make it rain"
Flash NK1 kernel to device.
Perform a factory reset.
Set up phone and install SuperSU from play store!

Enjoy root!! ;)

DraxStorm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I just started trying to execute these steps and I've run into some issues and I'm hoping someone can help.
I downloaded all the files needed.
Checked that the phone was running NK1.
Did the full backup using Kies.
Removed the SIM/Memory card
Set my phone into Download mode
Opened Odin, used default values (wasn't having issues so didn't do all the extra stuff for a full clean). Picked the NC5 Kernal file and clicked Start.
About 20 seconds passed and the phone rebooted and it asked for my encryption key - I typed it in and it said it was incorrect. Tried 2 more times, still incorrect (and I'm positive I used the correct one).
Tried unplugging the battery and doing the full repair with the checkboxes below -
"NAND Erase All"
"Phone Bootloader Update"
"Phone EFS Clear"

Again it took about 10 seconds to complete once I pressed start.
This time it rebooted and got to the red Verizon screen and stays there.

No idea what to do now, I can get the phone back in download mode, but do not seem to be able to boot it up in regular mode.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm really not familiar with rooting the S4, but I've never known any root method on any of the Galaxy devices that require you to remove your SIM card. You shouldn't have to remove your ext sd card either but that's not really an issue. I would replace the SIM and retry the process.
Hang in there and hopefully someone can give you a hand going forward. Good luck!

S5 tap'n

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I just started trying to execute these steps and I've run into some issues and I'm hoping someone can help.
I downloaded all the files needed.
Checked that the phone was running NK1.
Did the full backup using Kies.
Removed the SIM/Memory card
Set my phone into Download mode
Opened Odin, used default values (wasn't having issues so didn't do all the extra stuff for a full clean). Picked the NC5 Kernal file and clicked Start.
About 20 seconds passed and the phone rebooted and it asked for my encryption key - I typed it in and it said it was incorrect. Tried 2 more times, still incorrect (and I'm positive I used the correct one).
Tried unplugging the battery and doing the full repair with the checkboxes below -
"NAND Erase All"
"Phone Bootloader Update"
"Phone EFS Clear"

Again it took about 10 seconds to complete once I pressed start.
This time it rebooted and got to the red Verizon screen and stays there.

No idea what to do now, I can get the phone back in download mode, but do not seem to be able to boot it up in regular mode.

First of all, you need to download the NK1 image file if that was the version your phone was at. I will message you a link to the files. And second, you should have disabled the encryption before proceeding. It sounds like your following my guide! Make sure you have repartition checked along with the nand erase all. Download the files and try to odin again with repartition and nand erase selected, along with phone bootloader update and efs clear. ;)

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
After you are done with this..message me and I will message you on hangouts step by step to root the device

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm really not familiar with rooting the S4, but I've never known any root method on any of the Galaxy devices that require you to remove your SIM card. You shouldn't have to remove your ext sd card either but that's not really an issue. I would replace the SIM and retry the process.
Hang in there and hopefully someone can give you a hand going forward. Good luck!

S5 tap'n
I think he is trying to repair his device before rooting, that was all ODIN steps.