Would anyone be so kind to show where to begin to start developing?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by kiyanofosho, Aug 3, 2010.

1. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

I've looked everywhere. Youtube, google, borders. Idk where to begin. If I should do Java stuff first or android stuff first. Please someone help

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  2. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

3. SixStringTheory

SixStringTheory New Member

Depending on how much programming experience you have, you might wanna start on general Java programming. It's not 100% mandatory, but most Android developer tutorials and books and Google's resources assume you at least know the general basics of Java.

You don't need to be a java pro. But you should know the general syntax, structure, how classes work, basic object oriented programming knowledge, etc... If this last sentence made no sense then go buy a good book on Java for beginners.

Wrox and Apress publish pretty good boosk.
  4. ladodger1717

ladodger1717 New Member

I just started learning this a couple weeks ago. I was told to learn Java and to purchase a book called, "Hello, Android" third edition. I found what I feel are some great Java tutorials on Youtube from a guy with a screen name of "thenewboston". I am also going to purchase some books on Java and C++.
  5. Melon Bread

Melon Bread New Member

1. Learn Java (I recommend watch , best around)

2. Download Android SDK

3. Promise Me You Will Not Make & Publish One Of The Following:
    - Sexy Girls app
    - Sudoku
    - Any Kind Of Image Puzzle Game

4. Learn Android Deving (Google did a great job showing what the SDK could do or I HIGHLY recommend this series of books)

5. Make an Application

- From another 17 year old avid Android user. :)

(Copied From Another One of My Posts)
  6. Shadow1173

Shadow1173 New Member

Hi there, I'm fairly new to the forums, so I'm not going to be able to give you pro advice, but I, just like you would like to start developing applications for the Android OS, I found this tutorial to be of some use. Its not the the other have suggested, but it gave me good insight on how to develop, Android Development Tutorial - Froyo

Hope it helps you like it did me, I followed it then tried to modify the application. For instance he teaches you to create a Fahrenheit to Celsius converter, I modified it to include Kelvin, just to see if I had correctly grasped the concept of the tutorial. To my surprise I had done pretty good. Its just a kick-start to help with future developing, I recommend it.

Good luck. :)
  7. dietche

dietche New Member

Don't forget about Motorola Dev Studio which looks real nice. It apparently lets you program in C or C++, has a great installer that ensures everything you need is properly installed and!! pre-configured (woot), has multiple target compilation addons, and can install as a plugin if you already have an IDE. Most flexible indeed.

Gonna be giving it a whirl myself instead of the usual Java/Eclipse/fight with configuration methods. I'm pretty good at C so I'm hoping this works good for me.

MOTODEV > Documentation & Tools > MOTODEV Studio
  8. Melon Bread

Melon Bread New Member

You could always Program in C/C++ via the NDK and also you still have to have the Android SDK Downloaded And Installed + Show MOTODEV where it is it so you still have to configure it....
  9. dietche

dietche New Member

You could always Program in C/C++ via the NDK and also you still have to have the Android SDK Downloaded And Installed + Show MOTODEV where it is it so you still have to configure it....[/QUOTE]

Nice, didn't know I could just go directly to the NDK for C. 'Preciate it.
  10. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

11. Exiled44

Exiled44 New Member

Thank you guys for all the links to help me get started dev. I just download the hello android ebook to help me to.
  12. HarleyDad09

HarleyDad09 New Member

subscribing
  13. GeneralAmerica

GeneralAmerica New Member

I just started looking into this about a month ago because I had some ideas for apps and stuff that I wanted to make happen I decided to look into Java first so I downloaded Beginning Programming With Java for Dummies to help me learn the basics and it helped a lot and was fairly easy to understand next I downloaded Android Application Development in 24 Hours, I haven't started to read that one yet but it seemed to be user friendly. If you really want to start at the bottom though I would suggest going with Python.
  14. whatatool

whatatool New Member

I have read TCREWS howto for setting up a system for development

setup Linux environment
    get SDK
    get Droid
    setup eclipse or some other IDE

so my question is more towards getting a friend's teenage son up to speed, so to speak.

From what I have read, it looks like the following might be a good path

Learn Linux CLI
    Learn Java Basics
    build some basic apps
    Read Android ebook for development
    start developing

His mom is thinking of getting him a Froyo device, and I wanted to try and provide a "relatively definitive' sequence of tools & languages and skills he should track to be prepared to grow into a strong developer in this environment.

am I even coming at this the right way?
  15. dietche

dietche New Member

re: friend

Looks good. Doing the above he'll be in decent shape.
    One bone of contention I have, however, with your above steps is the line:
    "Learn Linux CLI"
    You know, I have dabbled with Linux for the better part of 3 decades and I *STILL* don't have a handle on that farting, flipping arse command line. Between all the different flavors of Linux and their subtle differences, it gets wicked confusing. LOL
    Think I'm being facetious? One of the ways that Google wants you to get Android loaded on to a Linux installation is by using a repo init command, except that doesn't seem to want to work on a stock Ubuntu install. Awkward!
    Be well and do as I do, run screaming like a girly-wuss from command lines!
    --Dietche