would an unlocked epic 4g work on verizon?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by velocity92c, Aug 25, 2010.

1. velocity92c

velocity92c Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I really want to jump into the realm of 1ghz cpu/512mb of RAM but I have to have a physical keyboard as well and the d2's bootloader will prevent me from ever giving it a chance. Would an unlocked epic 4g work on vzw? It looks like a very solid phone.

2. cromo8

cromo8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    maybe you havent heard that the droid 2 has been rooted and they got past the bootloader, but anyways no you cannot use an epic 4g on vzw

cricket however you may

3. velocity92c

velocity92c Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rooting a phone has nothing to do with the bootloader. I doubt you'll see custom ROMs on the x or d2 anytime soon, koush's faux recovery or not.

4. cromo8

cromo8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    your doubts are most likely wrong, as even the droid x has themes on it right now Roms will follow through probably within couple weeks

5. velocity92c

velocity92c Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you really understand it if you think themes are anything like custom ROMs. The milestone has the same bootloader, has been out for 8 months or more and STILL has no custom ROMs. I wouldn't hold my breath on ever seeing ROMs on the dx or d2. Yes it is rooted, but that is just a very small first step. Even koush's recovery isn't a real recovery for the x, and he said it was incredibly tough even getting that working.

6. velocity92c

velocity92c Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I came off a little hostile btw, but these faux recovery/ROMs they're working on will mean little to me without custom kernels, and until they actually get past the bootloader instead of just working around it, we won't see actual full ROMs. I'm amazed at what they've done already, but the milestone still hasn't been fully cracked open so I don't think the dx or d2 will be anytime soon. This is another reason I was wanting a samsung phone. It was rooted before it shipped and has an unsigned bootloader. I know we will see some custom ROMs in the next few weeks for the x, but they will likely be pretty unstable and not full feature ROMs, also without custom kernels.

7. cromo8

cromo8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well i might be a fool for being hopeful BUT i think it will happen in the near future

8. Googleaddict

Googleaddict Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe next year..Just maybe

9. agenthex

agenthex New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, this got threadjacked rather quickly. I, too, want an Epic 4G (CDMA) to see if it would work on Verizon.

If anyone can get the ESN/MEID, they can call Verizon to find out if their network would accept it. I'd love to know the answer to this, as I think the Epic may be my next phone, but I'm stuck with Verizon (by preference and the fact that I don't pay the bill).

10. FranklinWalker

Ratings:
    +0
    no it wont work on Verizon

11. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Wait, why wouldnt it work if both networks use CDMA/GSM? wouldn't it just need to be activated on the vex network?

Search tags for this page
android epic 4g on verizon network
can a rooted sprint epic 4g be used on verizon
can an unlocked samsung epic 4g be used on verizon

can epic 4g work on verizon

unlocked 4g for verizon