Worth waiting for Quad Core?

TheBoyPat

Reaction score
This is one of those things like Megapixels where people just crave a higher number and expect it to be better. No, quad core will not be better for gaming. It will be better for multi-tasking. But 99% of people won't really notice anything.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
This is one of those things like Megapixels where people just crave a higher number and expect it to be better. No, quad core will not be better for gaming. It will be better for multi-tasking. But 99% of people won't really notice anything.

Really, I find it rather odd a better GPU doesn't equal better gaming performance.... and all this while AMD/Nvidia have been tricking us (you bastards) :/

Have you ever heard of SoC?

nbucko

Reaction score
I want a nexus and this is the first on vzw, who I have no plans of leaving. Having an open phone on vzw is more important than waiting for a quad core to hit vzw that is worth a damn let alone a nexus quad core on vzw.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

TheBoyPat

Reaction score
really, i find it rather odd a better gpu doesn't equal better gaming performance.... And all this while amd/nvidia have been tricking us (you bastards) :/

have you ever heard of soc?

gpu != cpu.

mzjin

Reaction score
LOL, there is so much bad information in this thread....

All the people parroting that ICS won't support quad core processors have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. ICS fully supports multiple-core processors. Doesn't matter if it's 2, 4, or 8 cores, it scales them all the same, turning on each core as needed.

Quad core phones are coming, they will be faster than dual core, and they will have better battery life. It's so weird that so many people here state things as facts, when they really have no idea.

Here is a video showing how the processing cores scale as needed when running Android 4.0. This particular Tegra 3 processor actually has a 5th, low-voltage core that runs during idle states to save even more battery.

[video=youtube;R1qKdBX4-jc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R1qKdBX4-jc[/video]

All that said, I'm still rocking my OG Droid, and can't wait to get the GN when it comes out. I can't play the waiting game any longer.

Not Tegra 3. Quad cores will be faster (obviously) if they are clocked similarly.

However, Tegra 3 is built on the same process as current dual core processors, so there WILL be a penalty to battery life during ACTIVE usage. During passive idle usage, it may be better if the companion core is really good.

Quad Cores in 2012 will almost 99% be worse in battery life and offer no tangible performance improvements. 2013 will see a shift perhaps, but physically speaking, dual cores probably will always have way better battery life (especially dual core + companion).

However, as phones may soon learn like computers have learned, more cores != better! AMD's Hex core and Intel's 8-core processors offer 0 improvement for even the most graphically intensive games. Quad Cores offer good improvements in heavily threaded gaming scenarios, but most fast mainstream laptops have dual core Hyperthreaded Core i5s, because there is a HUGE penalty in heat and power consumption going to quad core with little to no gain for most people who do not play Skyrim on max or encode Blu-Rays all day long.

Last edited:

Chukee

Reaction score
I'll be ready to upgrade when the quads come out. Was thinking about getting the nexus but wouldn't make since getting that phone and the one I got now is working just fine.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

zathus

Reaction score
CES is just around the corner. Like less then than 2 months away. So why not just wait? It's not like the Nexus is going anywhere.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Because my Droid is on its last leg! I've been ready to get an upgrade for like 5 months now I think. I need a new phone! If I keep passing on what's out for what's coming out "soon" ill be rocking the og Droid for the next 5 years lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Not Tegra 3. Quad cores will be faster (obviously) if they are clocked similarly.

However, Tegra 3 is built on the same process as current dual core processors, so there WILL be a penalty to battery life during ACTIVE usage. During passive idle usage, it may be better if the companion core is really good.

Quad Cores in 2012 will almost 99% be worse in battery life and offer no tangible performance improvements. 2013 will see a shift perhaps, but physically speaking, dual cores probably will always have way better battery life (especially dual core + companion).

However, as phones may soon learn like computers have learned, more cores != better! AMD's Hex core and Intel's 8-core processors offer 0 improvement for even the most graphically intensive games. Quad Cores offer good improvements in heavily threaded gaming scenarios, but most fast mainstream laptops have dual core Hyperthreaded Core i5s, because there is a HUGE penalty in heat and power consumption going to quad core with little to no gain for most people who do not play Skyrim on max or encode Blu-Rays all day long.

Please read this whitepaper as you have been mis-informed: http://db.tt/2XLSMM1h

mzjin

Reaction score
Please read this whitepaper as you have been mis-informed: http://db.tt/2XLSMM1h

There's nothing to think about really. 40nm TSMC 4x Cortex A9s vs 40nm TSMC 2x Cortex A9s. You have two extra cores under the same fabrication process and architecture, it will use more power. The companion core is the only thing that may help with idle power usage, but for active usage, it will certainly drain more power and produce more heat.

If you want to get into power of more cores, look into "race to sleep". There is a possibility mobile OSes are so multithreaded that Quad Cores can complete tasks and race to sleep so much faster that it ends up saving power, but I'm not aware Android or iOS can do this. If so, then I'd be wrong.

Last edited:

ex0rcist

Reaction score

+1. Quad. Core phones are the future in performance. Development and stunning graphics... and battery conservation. Period. Gnex will be an amazing phone.. but it isnt going to be leaps and bounds ahead of any of the dualcore lte phone. Infact other than the unlocked bootloader and ics.. (which all dualcore lte phones will get... ) the performance increased will barely be noticeable .. specially with overclocking on bionic and rzr very close.. its all hype.... specially cuz it dont even have removable storage and 5mp cam.. ffc problems. cant remove google widget. Volume problems and no flash on ics yet.. cant wait till bionic patch drops and [mbm] releases his masterpiece and we can do all on bionic that we could dx. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I don't see any where that indicates the Gnex will have a removal battery? Anyone?
If it does, I might pull the trigger, otherwise I'll brew happy thoughts with my bionic waiting on second gen quad cores... With 3D stereoscopic screens :)

Last edited:

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
I don't see any where that indicates the Gnex will have a removal battery? Anyone?
If it does, I might pull the trigger, otherwise I'll brew happy thoughts with my bionic waiting on second gen quad cores... With 3D stereoscopic screens :)

The Gnex has a removable battery. I don't have time to look around, but pretty much every review where they take the back of the phone off shows the removable battery.