Worth waiting for Quad Core?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by satriani72, Nov 24, 2011.

1. satriani72

satriani72 New Member

Will all of the GN hype, I can't help but wonder how long it will take for this phone to be considered old news. With the new Quad Cores supposedly around the corner, when do you think the next Nexus device will be released and is it worth waiting for a Quad Core Nexus? I do like the vanilla Android experience on these devices. Is there any reason to pass on the GN?
  2. GoBears

GoBears New Member

I wouldn't wait. It's taking a long time to get things optimized for two cores. If you keep waiting, you'll never get a new device. There's always something bigger and badder just around the corner.
  3. mzjin

mzjin New Member

Quad Core? Laptops don't even need Quad Core. Your handheld certainly doesn't either.

Maybe if the GPU catches up to the iPHone 4S ....
  4. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Well-Known Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    The Nexus usually come it once a year, with their new OS... I would jump on it if you have an upgrade. It'll be the first to get updates! Nexus' never go out of style! ;) I still have a friend with an N1! :D
  5. Creed

Creed New Member

ICS isn't optimized for quad core so there really is no point to wait for a quad core phone since it won't be drastically better until the next major android upgrade (5.0) if not later.
  6. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

5.0 is gonna be awesome :happy:
  7. Larry Mahnken

Larry Mahnken New Member

Yeah, trying to buy a future-proof phone on a two year contract is not a good idea. Quad Cores are not going to be useful over the next year at least, probably not over the next two years. The Nexus should be a good, supported phone for the full two years.
  8. proangler

proangler New Member

The edge I'd quad and it will be out by end of march, with ICS.
  9. Pleirosei

Pleirosei New Member

Its based on opinion. I will still get one. This phone will be the best phone supported by the dev community

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  10. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

CES is just around the corner. Like less then than 2 months away. So why not just wait? It's not like the Nexus is going anywhere.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  11. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Quad core is going to be a waste at this point. Honestly, you're not going to tell much difference between dual core and quad core, except for benchmarks, which are useless except for people with egos. Anyway, no, quad core is not worth the wait.
  12. satriani72

satriani72 New Member

Anyone have any ideas what to expect at the CES this year?
  13. DamirD1984

DamirD1984 New Member

and why just not wait for anything else after it?

You will never win at the waiting game... ever... always something faster, bigger, newer is coming out...

Key is, get what you can at the current time... that will carry you for at least the next two years... so right now, between the Bionic, Razr, Rezound, you can't go wrong either way...

Those who wish to wait, can get the SGN in December, and those hardcore hardware keyboard fanatics, might get their shot as well at the Droid 4...
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  14. Htown315

Htown315 New Member

The first quads are going to be useless until apps/os are written to utilize four cores. Dual core isn't even being taken full advantage of yet. Gnex ftw
  15. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Don't think quadcore will matter so soon, maybe only in the middle of 2012. Quad-core would be too much power
  16. Liderc

Liderc New Member

As many have said, Quad cores will not be beneficial because neither ICS nor any apps will be optimized for their use. App devs are just getting around to optimizing multi-threading for dual cores, so pick up your favorite dual core phone without any worries.

Something to remember is that quad cores will most likely have the same start up problems that dual cores had, it's part of hardware evolution. This means delayed phones, hardware revisions, software tweaks ect... Waiting for a quad core device to come out that meets your needs could be an 8-10 month wait from now and still result in no real world performance increase.

As soon as the Nexus comes out, it meets every need I've been looking for since I bought my OG, so it's definitely worth the purchase.

Try meeting your specific needs, instead of looking for the next best thing. This way you're satisfied with your purchase and your device covers all of your needs without making sacrifices.
  17. noisyKricket

noisyKricket New Member

Lol, my 1gig single core phone is still plenty. If you have an upgrade and 4g in your area I'd get the Nexus for sure. Like others pointed out its going to be the most supported phone by both Google and the Dev community. Doing think you can go wrong with that phone.
  18. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Why would anyone need a quad core on a phone? At some point you have to bite the bullet and get a phone
  19. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

U know what is dumber than all this talk about the nexus gpu being weak? (Which is starting to get annoying hearing people talk about how the gpu sucks yet the phone is blowing reviewers away...)

Waiting for quad core when ics which is optimized for dual core JUST came out.

So ye wait for quad core. You'll have two more non functioning cores while I'll have two that work perfectly fine together.

Quality>quantity.

If anything the iPhone has shown that to be true. They always have the lowest specs yet their phones shine in benchmarks and real life performance.
  20. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Couldn't have said it better myself