worth upgrading to droid 2 from droid 1 ?

zero7404

Reaction score
i can get the droid 2 from wirefly with a contract extension for $ 40 ...
i'm wondering if it's really worth it to move up to a droid 2. i've seen it in person and like the keyboard refinement, but the screen is still the same. processor is faster, is there a significant bump in performance over the droid 1 ? i'm currently rooted, so my clock speed is set to 800 MHz (on demand in setcpu).

in an overall picture, just a feeler.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I say no - but I am holding out for something much greater - if you don't have to use your upgrade then go for it, if you have to use your upgrade I would hold out

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
i wouldn't be using the upgrade. going thru wirefly they offer the phone for $ 40 if i extend my contract with vzw for another 2 yrs.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Well, if my D1 wouldnt have died a couple of months back, I would probably still be using my D1. However, I am very satisfied with my D2 after having it since then and you realize how much betetr it is compared to the D1 after a while.

That said, I don't think you would be disappointed if you upgraded, bu t I'd wait just a bit in case something better comes out.

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
I don't think the upgrade is worth it.. you know that a 2 year extension is essentially the same thing as an upgrade right? I would wait for the new phones coming out later this year or early next year.

Sent from my Droid

Thruway

Reaction score
Well, I have used many of my friends D1's and I really liked them. I had hours of hands on time with them. I just recently received my droid 2 and Im in love. I think its worth it for only$ 40. That's just my opinion

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App :)

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
i wouldn't be using the upgrade. going thru wirefly they offer the phone for $ 40 if i extend my contract with vzw for another 2 yrs.

I just purchased a D2 from them yesterday, but the number I purchased for is already eligible for an upgrade. My question is, would they sell you a D2 for that low regardless if Verizon has you eligible for an upgrade?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
They're selling it to you that low because you are eligible for an upgrade. After you extend your contract you won't be able to upgrade for another 20 months unless you qualify for the annual upgrade.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MrKleen

Reaction score

I just purchased a D2 from them yesterday, but the number I purchased for is already eligible for an upgrade. My question is, would they sell you a D2 for that low regardless if Verizon has you eligible for an upgrade?

Enjoy your new phone! There is a lot you can do with it!

elcompaLalo

Reaction score

They're selling it to you that low because you are eligible for an upgrade. After you extend your contract you won't be able to upgrade for another 20 months unless you qualify for the annual upgrade.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

The OP stated he wouldn't be using the upgrade, just extending the contract another 2 years. I am familiar with how VZW upgrades work, what I am asking is if Wirefly will sell you a phone regardless as long as you agree to stay with VZW for another 2 years.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO its not enough of an advancement in device to warrant committing to another 2 years.
YOMV

*DroidForums app DOES*

elcompaLalo

Reaction score

Enjoy your new phone! There is a lot you can do with it!

Haha, thanks but I already have one and am very happy with it. This new one will be for another number on my account.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
IMO its not enough of an advancement in device to warrant committing to another 2 years.
YOMV

*DroidForums app DOES*

Your right on it not being much of an advancement, but its not like I'm going to switch from Verizon anytime soon so I wouldn't mind committing another 2 years.

Let me explain my situation a bit more in detail to avoid confusion. I have 3 lines with VZW.
Line 1- Me, already rockin a D2.
Line 2- My wife, LG Env 3 and won't be eligible for an upgrade til next year.
Line 3- My sis, LG Dare but became eligible today (Oct. 24) for an upgrade so I purchased a D2 for her yesterday through Wirefly.

Line 2 is where I would love to upgrade the phone (as it is a POS) to a DX, can I do that through Wirefly?

Last edited:
OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
thanks all for your input .... the perspective of many is always good to put myself into perspective....

it's nice hardware, but thinking about it, it's not enough of a burning itch to commit another 2 yrs at the moment as i am almost up on my first year.

i've seen the LG Tegra 2 which is an LTE phone, i'm going to wait and see what others come to the play field in the next 6 months, then make my move.

it's all a balancing act and gamble at this point because vzw may start offering tiered data plans. but at the same time Sprint is still offering all you can eat (for pretty reasonable prices). Tmob and AT&T are also possibilities ... so i guess i can't go wrong with waiting. all these carriers offer android fones, so it will prolly be a buyers' market ....