worth it?

metzor

Reaction score
There is no comparison. The Tbolt is miles ahead of the D1. IMO it's a crap ton better than the DX. The only issue is battery life, and swype not working the way it used to work on the DX. I'm also really digging Sense.
+1

I thought Sense was going to be an awful piece of bloatware, but I love it! The battery life is excellent on my TB as well compared to my D1, I can use it well over 12 hours. I finally don't have to charge it all the time!

You're saying the battery life on your TB is better than your old D1 (rooted?)? You're not in an area with 4g I assume. Still that is music to my ears.

mthorn79

Reaction score
Came from a rooted and OCed at 1.2ghz and my Tbolt pulls off 1800+ quadrant scores right out of the box all day long. A lot of people are ripping on Sense but if they've ever used the old Sense they'll find its a big improvement. Ill take Sense 2.0 over ADW anyway. Guess I'm one of the few that loves Sense & hates ADW. But definitely worth the switch, get locked into the unlimited data while you can before VZ jumps on the bandwagon!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

rushmore

Reaction score
Either getting a thunderbolt or iphone in two weeks...

Would much prefer the t-bolt but battery life has me worried. There are periods every day where I go through high/ constant usage without charging. Two to three hours, often watching video or playing games. From what I hear the t-bolt might not survive that trip.

Would love to hear some battery stats from you guys. I admit extreme jealousy. =)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

They are such different devices and both are good:

Suggest getting TB if:

1. You do not mind tinkering to get the best out of it- ESPECIALLY battery life.
2. Heavy duty media fan that wants a large display (and the size that comes with it)
3. Want Flash function (iPhone has Skyfire, but not as good as direct Flash).
4. Hate being constrained to iTunes for EVERYTHING
5. Like the option of using the browser to download and run files
6. Like game emulators

Suggest iPhone if:

1. Want a great app ecosystem (I luv my iPod 4)
2. Want a phone that "just works" and no tinkering needed
3. Far better battery life (smaller and more efficient display and iOS more efficient)
4. Do not mind using iTunes for everything

I would never own an iPhone, since prefer the function of Android, but must admit my iPod4 64gb is a great compliment to my Incredible :) Heck, my iPod and Incredible are the same total size as the Thunderbolt and both will last a lot longer on trips ;)

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I haven't read much about voice quality on the TB... I'm assuming it's solid, but the one thing my D1 has had over any other phone I've tried (including the Inc and DX) is the volume/quality when talking to someone was great.
I found it to be louder and clearer then my D1.

Same here, without a doubt, the Thunderbolt has better audio quality in and out. All the people I regularly call say I sounded REALLY nice without me even asking how I sounded. On my D1 they said they could barely understand me (Even with EVRC-B). I have the volume on the Thunderbolt on the lowest possible setting and it's too loud to put my ear directly on the phone (which I like).

rushmore

Reaction score
Came from a rooted and OCed at 1.2ghz and my Tbolt pulls off 1800+ quadrant scores right out of the box all day long. A lot of people are ripping on Sense but if they've ever used the old Sense they'll find its a big improvement. Ill take Sense 2.0 over ADW anyway. Guess I'm one of the few that loves Sense & hates ADW. But definitely worth the switch, get locked into the unlimited data while you can before VZ jumps on the bandwagon!

Catch is Quandrant weighs the gpu part of tests very heavily. The actual CPU function is actually weaker than Hummingbird and about half that of the Tegra 2 and new dual OMAP chipsets.

Overclocked, the 8255/8655 will pass Hummingbird, but not the Tegra 2 and new OMAP. Not to mention the chip will run hotter and battery life will be even shorter. Even though the chip is 45nm, they pack it in a smaller chipset footprint, so overclocking still gets toasty.

rushmore

Reaction score
my only hesitancy about waiting is that it sounds like VZW will be going tiered data in a few months, and if I lock in 2 years now, that at least gives me some additional time with "unlimited"

If contracts were infinite, a HUGE reason for securing now, but VZW states that grandfathering is only good thorugh the contract. Once your contract is through, VZW can knock people out of unlimited- if they though that was the best move for them.

Grandfathering only works if there are changes while you are in your contract.

geoff5093

Reaction score
There is no comparison. The Tbolt is miles ahead of the D1. IMO it's a crap ton better than the DX. The only issue is battery life, and swype not working the way it used to work on the DX. I'm also really digging Sense.
+1

I thought Sense was going to be an awful piece of bloatware, but I love it! The battery life is excellent on my TB as well compared to my D1, I can use it well over 12 hours. I finally don't have to charge it all the time!

You're saying the battery life on your TB is better than your old D1 (rooted?)? You're not in an area with 4g I assume. Still that is music to my ears.
Correct, I had my D1 rooted and had installed several ROM's from UD, PE, LGB, MIUI, BB, and others. No 4G where I live, hopefully soon I will be able to test it out down in Boston.

loki993

Reaction score

Catch is Quandrant weighs the gpu part of tests very heavily. The actual CPU function is actually weaker than Hummingbird and about half that of the Tegra 2 and new dual OMAP chipsets.

Overclocked, the 8255/8655 will pass Hummingbird, but not the Tegra 2 and new OMAP. Not to mention the chip will run hotter and battery life will be even shorter. Even though the chip is 45nm, they pack it in a smaller chipset footprint, so overclocking still gets toasty.

Hmm. So your saying that the TB is half as fast and the Tegra 2s even though there isnt anything out that can take advantage of the 2 cores?

I suppose in a strict benchmarking testing environment a dual core would obviosly show better, but Im wondering if that is the case with real world usage as well?

If it is how?

mthorn79

Reaction score

It was funny watching that dude from Phonedog test the Atrix on Quadrant for the first time it ran a 1500 something...he's like whoa! that doesn't seem right. Then of course the 2nd time around (after being loaded up with that 1Gb of RAM) it shot up the second time. That's why I never got how a test is accurate doing it the 2nd, 3rd time, etc. because any other time besides the 1st time the phone is just benching off the already ran program that has been stored in the RAM. So I guess you really just disregard all 1st run benchmarks then?

Dxun

Reaction score
My Tbolt scores 2000 plus all day long. Lowest score I have seen so far is a 1969.

Sent with my Thunderbolt via DroidForums App

flipteg

Reaction score
i am coming from the Atrix to the Thunderbolt. i used the Atrix for 4 weeks. i'm not a big gamer but for the little time i played, the Atrix is faster. one example is Fruit Ninja THD on the Atrix never lagged. on the Thunderbolt, i have seen the non THD version of the game lag especially when bonus flashes pop up on the screen.

in real world everyday use though, i don't really see much of a difference between the two phones when navigating around the UI and web browsing. yes, as fast as it is, browsing on the Atrix still gets quite laggy that is so typical on most Android devices.

the main problem the Atrix has is the wake up lag. when i press the power button, it would take 1 or 2 seconds for the screen to turn on. once the screen has turned on, it takes another second or so for the touch sensitivity to wake up so i can actually swipe to unlock the phone. the touch sensitivity just wouldn't respond the first few moments after the screen is on. with my Nexus One and the Thunderbolt, touch sensitivity is functional even before the screen is actually on. i don't know exactly what's causing that problem on the Atrix but i looked at some Motorola Droids in the Verizon store and although their specs are much slower than the Atrix, none of them has that problem. they're all instant on.

it might just be a software compatibility issue with the Tegra dual core CPU. the Atrix is indeed fast in gaming and benchmark, but it's very hard to live with that wake up annoyance especially since i experience it EVERY TIME i turn on to use the phone. where as the Thunderbolt's lag in some games is not as big of a deal for me because that is not nearly as frequent of a problem.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I got to play with one for about 20 minutes while setting up my boss's at work today. I hated Sense. I'm not upgrade eligible until 2012, but if I were to get one, I'd promptly put ADW.Launcher on it to get rid of Sense.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
i am coming from the Atrix to the Thunderbolt. i used the Atrix for 4 weeks. i'm not a big gamer but for the little time i played, the Atrix is faster. one example is Fruit Ninja THD on the Atrix never lagged. on the Thunderbolt, i have seen the non THD version of the game lag especially when bonus flashes pop up on the screen.

in real world everyday use though, i don't really see much of a difference between the two phones when navigating around the UI and web browsing. yes, as fast as it is, browsing on the Atrix still gets quite laggy that is so typical on most Android devices.

the main problem the Atrix has is the wake up lag. when i press the power button, it would take 1 or 2 seconds for the screen to turn on. once the screen has turned on, it takes another second or so for the touch sensitivity to wake up so i can actually swipe to unlock the phone. the touch sensitivity just wouldn't respond the first few moments after the screen is on. with my Nexus One and the Thunderbolt, touch sensitivity is functional even before the screen is actually on. i don't know exactly what's causing that problem on the Atrix but i looked at some Motorola Droids in the Verizon store and although their specs are much slower than the Atrix, none of them has that problem. they're all instant on.

it might just be a software compatibility issue with the Tegra dual core CPU. the Atrix is indeed fast in gaming and benchmark, but it's very hard to live with that wake up annoyance especially since i experience it EVERY TIME i turn on to use the phone. where as the Thunderbolt's lag in some games is not as big of a deal for me because that is not nearly as frequent of a problem.

Very interesting. Haven't heard any reviews coming from a tegra2 device yet. I wonder how many people who waited for the bionic and scoffed at the tbolt will be VERY disappointed to find this out...

Sent from my ADR6400L

mthorn79

Reaction score

It's the dreaded Motoblur that's bogging down what could've been a great phone & so many people that are holding off on the T-bolt for the Bionic are going to run into the same problem. I will never own another Moto as long as Motoblur has its hooks in a phone.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

flipteg

Reaction score
i don't think it's just Motoblur. i also looked at some of the smaller Motorola's that also have full Motoblur from the AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile store, including the Defy, and Cliq. none of those had the slow wake up problem. even my co-worker's Backflip didn't have this problem.