Worth it? Only $100 online

bmb0205

Reaction score
I currently have a Droid 1 and need a new phone and have an upgrade. The Galaxy Nexus is only $100 on myverizon with a 2 year deal and 50 dollar online discount. I hear from everywhere that the battery life is the biggest and pretty much only negative, but is it THAT bad? What about with an extended battery? I have a 4g tower right in my neighborhood if that helps any.

I figure this is pretty darn cheap and worth the pick up since it's supposed to be a pretty awesome phone for only $100. What do you guys think?

Also I might add I am looking at this because of the price since I do not have $200 to spend on the S III

Reaction score
I currently have a Droid 1 and need a new phone and have an upgrade. The Galaxy Nexus is only $100 on myverizon with a 2 year deal and 50 dollar online discount. I hear from everywhere that the battery life is the biggest and pretty much only negative, but is it THAT bad? What about with an extended battery? I have a 4g tower right in my neighborhood if that helps any.

I figure this is pretty darn cheap and worth the pick up since it's supposed to be a pretty awesome phone for only $100. What do you guys think?

It's not that horrible depending on usage obviously. Also don't forget that you lose unlimited data if you upgrade on subsidized pricing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

OP
B

bmb0205

Reaction score
It's not that horrible depending on usage obviously. Also don't forget that you lose unlimited data if you upgrade on subsidized pricing.

Yeah I know about the data thing, but a rep said between myself and my sister we barely use 1G, although I figure I will use more with 4G and a better phone. Any other thoughts on the deal for what you get?

Reaction score
For $100 the nexus is awesome in my opinion! If you are worried about battery you could purchase an extended battery? My nexus usually lasted me about 10-1 2 hours depending on how much I used it. Currently I use my Nexus only for email, background data enabled, and it lasts 14-16 hours and use my Maxx for everything else. Nexus is work phone and Maxx is personal phone. Hope some of that helps!

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know about the data thing, but a rep said between myself and my sister we barely use 1G, although I figure I will use more with 4G and a better phone. Any other thoughts on the deal for what you get?
My vote-Nexus,and I take I dont have to explain why,assuming you've done your homework on both devices.

OP
B

bmb0205

Reaction score
For $100 the nexus is awesome in my opinion! If you are worried about battery you could purchase an extended battery? My nexus usually lasted me about 10-1 2 hours depending on how much I used it. Currently I use my Nexus only for email, background data enabled, and it lasts 14-16 hours and use my Maxx for everything else. Nexus is work phone and Maxx is personal phone. Hope some of that helps!

Yeah my friend said he could get me an extended battery for really cheap so I'll probably do that. I appreciate your help!

My vote-Nexus,and I take I dont have to explain why,assuming you've done your homework on both devices.
Well I simply do not have $200 to spend, only about $100. That is why I am looking at the Nexus and not the SIII. Also my two friends love their Nexus' minus the battery life.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score

The second issue with many gnexes is holding a signal, I've never had much issue with mine but some have a horrible time with signal

That being said, the gnex is otherwise an excellent phone, especially if you like rooting and romming, it can't be beat. With jelly bean the only phone that is faster on Verizon is the sgs3 but obviously with a much higher price tag
Coming from a d1 the difference is astounding, it's like night and day with speed and stability. On the d1 you would root and rom to actually have the phone fast enough to use without getting frustrated enough to throw it across the room, on the gnex, you root and rom just for extra options and customization, the speed stock is plenty fast to do just about anything

As far as battery expect 2-4 hours on screen time depending on your usage, which isn't too bad imo. Grab the extended battery for a little extra juice and grab a spare battery only charger to have the original battery ready to swap out when you need it and you'll be fine. Also consider a car charger just in case (inexpensive and helps to stay changed if you are in your car alot)

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The second issue with many gnexes is holding a signal, I've never had much issue with mine but some have a horrible time with signal

That being said, the gnex is otherwise an excellent phone, especially if you like rooting and romming, it can't be beat. With jelly bean the only phone that is faster on Verizon is the sgs3 but obviously with a much higher price tag
Coming from a d1 the difference is astounding, it's like night and day with speed and stability. On the d1 you would root and rom to actually have the phone fast enough to use without getting frustrated enough to throw it across the room, on the gnex, you root and rom just for extra options and customization, the speed stock is plenty fast to do just about anything

As far as battery expect 2-4 hours on screen time depending on your usage, which isn't too bad imo. Grab the extended battery for a little extra juice and grab a spare battery only charger to have the original battery ready to swap out when you need it and you'll be fine. Also consider a car charger just in case (inexpensive and helps to stay changed if you are in your car alot)
+1 on the car chger.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

bmb0205

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys! Appreciate it.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I haven't has an issue with my signal on my gnex, and get the extended battery. But i say for $100 get the nexus, i love it and being a nexus we'll get the newest os updated before anyone.

If you can wait a little longer there are suppose to be multiple nexus devices being released in nov. but not certain on whether or not they'll be any cdma versions of the devices

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
for $100, the nexus is a steal. I was happy paying every penny of it on launch day and I'd do it again at $100 if I had to :D

OP
B

bmb0205

Reaction score
I'm gettin it boys, don't worry :biggrin: thanks for all the advice

WookieClaws

Reaction score
The Nexus is a great phone, I'm very happy with mine and at this point its stock. The 4.0.4 update made this phone work well for me so I'm very happy with it. I have 3 batteries (1 extended and 2 standard) and a battery charger. I turn off mobile data unless I'm using it and I can easily go 10+ hours and 2 hours of screen on time with data running. I notice the battery drains when it's searching for data all day (this is why I turn it off so I get calls and texts only unless I turn data back on). For me this works well. When I know I will need more phone time I carry one or both spare batteries and just swap them out. Generally I just make sure I have chargers where needed (cars, desk, etc) and I'm fine. I don't think the batter is really that bad, its just that I use my phone ;)