worth getting S3 if wife mandates I keep it 2 years?

kparks

Reaction score
ryanr509 said:
If ur talking specs then the s3 trumps or matches the one x in just about every category. The only reason I see the one x as "better" would be looks and if someone likes HTC sense or dislikes Samsung touchwiz

How u figure all specs are pretty much the same except for ram.. I personally think the slcd2 looks wayyy better than the samoled screens.. Sense is hands down better than touchwiz and htc always seem to get better reception and build quality.

kparks

Reaction score
HavoC said:
yeah I know what you mean about the one x. I probably would get that instead but Verizon isn't getting it (at least as far as I know). If you're holding out for the next HTC phone on Verizon, that would be the incredible 4G which should be out soon. The specs on it don't quite match the s3, as it has a smaller screen (4 inches), 1 gig of ram, and I'm not sure about the processor or battery.

It might still be something to consider getting if you really want an HTC phone and don't mind the smaller screen, I just wish it was the one x instead. Since it isn't, I'm gonna get the s3. All a matter of preference in terms of specs tho.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

Well I got a Thunderbolt and it works great but I want a little bit bigger screen and we have a upgrade and my sis wants my phone..

ryanr509

Reaction score
I Guess it's preference then. Both of have same processor personally I'd take samoled but that's a preference s3 has more ram a removable battery better battery life and am SD card slot. The one x has none of those things. Specs wise the s3 wins. But then again if someone prefers HTC then it probly wouldn't matter if the s3 had a 6 core processor with 8gb of ram and 4,000mah battery.

kparks

Reaction score
So here is my plan I got a upgrade now and 1 in October.. "family plan" so ill upgrade to the gs3 then depending on how I like it and what happens to the data plans... If the plans stay I can upgrade again in Oct but if they change the gs3 will still be worth plenty of money to sell out right and buy a phone full retail come October I feel that would be my best bet!! How do u guys think battery life will compare to my Thunderbolt with a 2750mha battery??

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
How do u guys think battery life will compare to my Thunderbolt with a 2750mha battery??
Tough call without the handset being released on Big Red. Worse case = same. Thats my guess

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I say as of right now...its a good bet this phone will keep you satisfied for the next 2+ years. As long as you dont let your eyes wander. There will probably be newer phones out later in the year that ...might....have different specs.

The better LTE tech alone says you will be fine. Still waiting for battery life tests for the US version.

zanshin825

Reaction score
I'm thinking of jumping in, but the rumored HTC phablet has me intrigued.

npro1464

Reaction score
All i know is i played with my friends Fascinate the other day and i was impressed. Samsung knows how to make phones. Their screens are top notch and IMO (since the GS2) their designs are pretty sweet. The GS2 is a year old and is still some carriers top phone. I think the GS3 will hold up nicely.

Dont take crap from anyone here. We're not normal for wanting a new phone every 3 months. A phone should last for at least 2 years. Those of us getting screwed off unlimited data will have to change our habits one way or the other. Those of us wanting to cling onto our unlimited data will have to live with the same phone for a long time.

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Look, dude, just do what I do: I don't ASK my wife...I TELL her!
Then, after I regain consciousness in the hospital, I go home and ask her...LOL

OK, for my money (literally, since I'm getting one too), the SGS3 will do you well for two years. The next big advancement might be quad-core that works with 4G, and maybe higher-res screens, but I don't anticipate ever looking at my S III with regret for the next 20 months or so.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
I had a nice post typed out about how happy I've been with my Galaxy Nexus since February and that I'm sure I'd be just as happy with the SIII. And the icing is I'll happily keep the Nexus for a year and half at the least... Or worse case scenario however long it takes me to save up for my next phone at retail cost. Then a friend stopped by and I went outside to talk to her. Her mom was driving her as Lauren was sick. Her mom gets a phone call and when she attempted to unlock the screen to answer it it just froze up. Looked over and asked what kind of phone she had and I saw a nice Verizon logo at the top and a Samsung logo at the bottom. Lol..
I assumed it was an old Samsung considering it had a tiny form factor (well compared to using this beast for 5 months) but she didn't know the type but said it was new and she held it up but I couldn't see what it was from across the car. Was DEFINATELY an entry level smartphone so I won't berate the fact that it froze up over just a simple phone call... But found it funny that I had a nice piece written about how I used to have a dislike for Samsung phones (all based off hype... Never used one before the Nexus) and that I actually find the build quality even with the "plastics" far superior to my old OG Droid. When I switched over to answer her call I lost what I had typed so this is what you get instead

As long as the SIII doesn't freeze up like her mom's phone lmao and as long as it doesn't ship with the same connection issues that many had with the Nexus (never had any issues except the muted call bug but after upgrading off 4.0.2 ages ago that issue was moot) then I don't have any reasons to steer you in any other direction. And if the physical home button throws you off, get the Nexus. The SIII will most certainly have a large development community from day 1 (hell it's already rooted) so it will remain relevant for 2 years easily and if they decide to stop updates on you you can easily just throw a ROM on of Jelly Bean on later this year and be all set to go. And the Missus will be very happy :)

Last edited:

ryanr509

Reaction score
Really if u have a nexus or RAZR/RAZR maxx the s3 is not that big of a leap forward.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Really if u have a nexus or RAZR/RAZR maxx the s3 is not that big of a leap forward.[/QUOTE

You're so on the money. I couldn't picture myself giving up the Nexus for an extra gig of RAM (though in time I'm sure I WILL be missing that extra RAM). Now I could easily see myself ditching the Maxx for it, but that's only because I personally don't like the way the Maxx feels and it personally lacks all sex appeal. I guess that's why Moto is pushing a new color out each week lol. Actually I'd prefer to trade the Maxx forbid if I had one (don't jump on me people. I just don't like it.. It's a great phone) for a Nexus and slap another stick of RAM in myself but with the technology in the Nexus is am pretty confident sure that there isn't a free slot anywhere around. I also don't care for the home button on the SG3. All my issues regarding all three of the phones is either personal or trivial anyways, giving more truth to what you just said about neither phone being any kind of large leap from the other. Otherwise I'd have more to spew on about

Edit: BUT when it comes to his original question about the SG3 lasting two years, that's something I don't see the RAZR Maxx doing. Sure people will still own one but it will have stopped getting OS updates other than security and bug fixes after ICS is rolled out for it. And I just don't see any large gathering hanging around within a 2 year span still wanting to develop ROMs for it. I'm sure some will still continue just like Prime is still working on kernel updates for the OG Droid (he's the man), but if anyone gets a Jelly Bean ROM out I'm sure it will have some kind of issues that make it unusable for a daily driver and by the time a working Jelly Bean gets developed you will have already upgraded to the Gillette Fusion RAZR Pro Global Yoda and Michael Jackson Edition.

So yeah, I wouldn't get a Maxx and expect to be content for two years. With either the Nexus or SG3 a good thing is you won't be constantly looking in the near future at every new phone coming out getting massive envy.

Last edited:
OP
U

usawinston

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. They convinced me to preorder a GSIII via Verizon. July 9th shipment is the only drawb
ack I see.

johnd09

Reaction score
I have a thunderbolt warranty replacement sent that was damaged so the Verizon rep will let me move my upgrade from December and I plan on calling him back to pre- order the S3. The bolt was a good phone other than battery life, but I want to use the last upgrade I have before unlimited goes away on a device that will be on the curve for a little while to delay having to pay retail for a phone as long as possible.

Plus from what I can see the s3 development will be phenomenal, and CM9 or AOKP will be amazing.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

down1plus2

Reaction score
I've been on Motorola forever (Droid X, X2, Bionic, and Razr) and I guess you can say Im scared of change, but I feel this phone is definitely worth taking a chance on. The 32gb onboard memory is appealing to me as well as being able to slap in another 32gb of external memory. Worst case I can sell it if I don't like it and get a Razr Maxx or Razr HD whenever that will come out.