World of Warcraft with Droids Internet

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BondGirl, Mar 9, 2010.

1. NeverEndingXsin

Ratings:
    +0
    ive done this before when VZW screwed my house internet and it worked pretty well :)

2. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I've used my Droid tethered to my Laptop to play World of Warcraft. Pretty much the same as the Verizon 3G card. No, it doesn't eat up a lot of data unless you're going to spend all your time going from Orgrimmar, Dalaran, Silvermoon, etc... I had max reception where I was tethering so it wasn't too bad, went from 400-1000ms ping. Instances were doable, battlegrounds, not so much. Raids? definitely not reliable. <cough> No I don't play WoW <nose grows> Oh sh*t.

3. biglipps66

biglipps66 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive actually used it to play WoW as well before.. works quite well to be honest.

4. Fletchi18

Fletchi18 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used it with a mobile broadband card as well and the latency killed it for me. It was about as responsive as a 747.

5. Sam

Sam Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I've done a good bit of wow on the droid tether. Doesn't eat up much data at all, but you will lose connection occasionally with a text or gtalk and always with a call. Not reliable if you NEED a solid connection, but works for what it is.

6. keiichi25

keiichi25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe your biggest worries will happen when patch day is close or hits.

WoW uses Bit torrent which will max out the bandwidth as possible to insure you get the patch in a timely manner, but also that you help out in getting that out to other players as well.

While Patch Day is not on a weekly basis, some of the bigger patches actually start delivering sections of it days prior and run in the background at throttled speed, but still run in the background while you are online.

WoW, like other MMOs, the data packets aren't tremendously huge unless you are one of the power hard core raiders using data sharing mods for stats like Recount or the like. The information is meant to be 'small' to deal with number of users. But it also is partly responsible why things are laggy in dense areas like Dalaran, due to server telling you the x number of people nearby should be 'seen' by your client, along with NPC updates and the chat spam.