wont root after ota .181

Dark_Angel

Reaction score
so i received the newest ota .181 update this morning and i went to root it again and for some reason it wont. ive done everything the same as last time so i dont know whats going on. i get nothing but "unable to ...." messages every time i try. help would be appreciated

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
so i received the newest ota .181 update this morning and i went to root it again and for some reason it wont. ive done everything the same as last time so i dont know whats going on. i get nothing but "unable to ...." messages every time i try. help would be appreciated
Couple of questions: What method are you using to root, are you using the usb cable that came with your phone and do you have voodoo root keeper installed?

droidx38

Reaction score
Having same issue. I rooted using utility in the sticky, also installed voodoos rootkeeper. All was flawless till the ota update installed. Tried using rootkeeper...no go....tried unrooting.....no go.....tried rerooting.....no go. Not sure what direction to take next.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Having same issue. I rooted using utility in the sticky, also installed voodoos rootkeeper. All was flawless till the ota update installed. Tried using rootkeeper...no go....tried unrooting.....no go.....tried rerooting.....no go. Not sure what direction to take next.
I'm not sure what to tell you because I don't use root keeper. With the utility it so easy to go back to stock, update and then root (for now anyway). I think I read a similar thread over in the Razr Hacks section regarding root keeper. You may want to go there to see if you can find an answer or maybe someone more familiar with root keeper will chime in here and help you guys out. As a last resort you can use the utility to return to stock .173, take the OTA update again and then root. The utility will root .181.

droidx38

Reaction score
Thanks, I was hoping not to have to do that but if thats what it takes.........these dang ota updates suck! LOL!!

droidx38

Reaction score
Well, can't explain why but after trying to reroot half a dozen times or more this afternoon I gave up and went fishing for a few hours. Came back, hooked up the usb cable to go ahead and restore back to factory because I knew that would work, but instead I tried the utility again to reroot and IT WORKED! Can't tell you why it did it, but it did and wifi is working fine again. dancedroiddancedroid

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Well, can't explain why but after trying to reroot half a dozen times or more this afternoon I gave up and went fishing for a few hours. Came back, hooked up the usb cable to go ahead and restore back to factory because I knew that would work, but instead I tried the utility again to reroot and IT WORKED! Can't tell you why it did it, but it did and wifi is working fine again. dancedroiddancedroid
Ain't life great...glad things worked out for you.

csbilmar

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. I was not using root keeper, and my first root was Motofail. I got the OTA and updated, and lost root. However, I still have superuser. I cannot uninstall superuser, but I also do not have root access and Superuser is not being granted permissions. I tried rerooting with Utility, Motofail, and another one that I cannot remember the name of. Nothing worked. I then factory reset, and still ended up having Superuser, but no root. I tried rerooting with Utility, and still nothing. Help?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. I was not using root keeper, and my first root was Motofail. I got the OTA and updated, and lost root. However, I still have superuser. I cannot uninstall superuser, but I also do not have root access and Superuser is not being granted permissions. I tried rerooting with Utility, Motofail, and another one that I cannot remember the name of. Nothing worked. I then factory reset, and still ended up having Superuser, but no root. I tried rerooting with Utility, and still nothing. Help?
Well, I don't know what's causing your problem but if I were you this is what I'd do...Use Matt G's RazrUtility found in the first sticky above...download it to my computer...extract it to a folder on my hard drive...select the .bat file, connect my phone and execute option 1 in the utility. That will take your phone back to stock .173. From there you can get the OTA to .181 from Verizon and then root again using the utility.

voltjerk

Reaction score
Well, I don't know what's causing your problem but if I were you this is what I'd do...Use Matt G's RazrUtility found in the first sticky above...download it to my computer...extract it to a folder on my hard drive...select the .bat file, connect my phone and execute option 1 in the utility. That will take your phone back to stock .173. From there you can get the OTA to .181 from Verizon and then root again using the utility.

My Razr was rooted on .173. I used Matt G's RazrUtility to restore back to stock .173. I did the OTA update to .181. Everything worked fine. I then used Matt's utility to root the new update. Worked for me. I guess the right thing is to really be on the stock .173.

OP
Dark_Angel

Dark_Angel

Reaction score
so after following http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/198379-updated-droid-razr-utility-windows.htmland reverting back to .173 i tried rooting again, nothing happened. starting looking around on my desktop and i noticed i had 2 run.bat files for rooting, how they got there im not quite sure. one (run) worked and the other one (runme) did not.

all is well and rooted.....but my battery life is poor after going through the reset, and i dont know why. i use to be able to make it 8hrs on my idle smart action and have 80-90% with moderate use, now ill be lucky to have more than 60%. im wondering if something was changed or if its just the update. help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Seems the most reliable thing to do is root while on 173, back it up and hide it with Voodoo, then update to 181 and restore root in Voodoo. I did that today, went without a hitch... all with using the Razr Utility tools.

It seems like there are mixed results right now trying to root after already going to 181.

I had to do the restore because I stupidly uninstalled system apps with Titanium without backing them up, and today I started getting the OTA nag screen but could not install the update because I couldn't get back to pure stock.

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
so after following http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/198379-updated-droid-razr-utility-windows.htmland reverting back to .173 i tried rooting again, nothing happened. starting looking around on my desktop and i noticed i had 2 run.bat files for rooting, how they got there im not quite sure. one (run) worked and the other one (runme) did not.

all is well and rooted.....but my battery life is poor after going through the reset, and i dont know why. i use to be able to make it 8hrs on my idle smart action and have 80-90% with moderate use, now ill be lucky to have more than 60%. im wondering if something was changed or if its just the update. help would be greatly appreciated

I also have noticed my battery life not being as good as it used to be before update. Not as severe as you though lol.

As far as rooting i was having trouble updating so i had to revert to complete stock .173 no root/update/then root again using the updated 1.51 utility as Voodoo just wasn't working for me what so ever (most likely something i wasn't doing correctly).