Won't have access to computer at camp. What should I do?

hakaveli

Reaction score
Hi all. My son will be sent to a camp for a year where there will be no computers but he will be able to take a droid 3 and a PS Vita with him. The phone will be on verizon's prepaid unlimited 3g plan. I'd like to mod the droid 3 as much as possible before he leaves but I want to make sure I do all the necessary hacks without him running into any problems in the future. Please keep in mind that he will not have access to a computer so please let me know if you can think of any problems he might run into so I can prevent them from happening now.

1st I plan to root the phone so he can have access to the apps that require root.

2nd I plan to install safestrap so he can install custom roms if he chooses to do so. My question regarding this is will he need a computer to download and install a custom rom? (All the guides I've read mention using a computer and usb cable to transfer the rom's zip file.) Can't he use the droid's web browser to download the rom zip file straight to the micro SD and install it with safestrap? If not should I install steel droid before he leaves to camp?

3rd i'd like to enable wireless tethering so he can play ps vita. I've read about two methods- the radio hack and an app called FoxFi. the foxfi app sounds convenient but I've read verizon can prevent the app from working in the future. So should I just do the radio hack in case?

I've been researching for weeks to make sure everything goes smooth. We're still waiting for the droid 3 as it was just ordered recently so I've yet to experience these mods but my son and I are quite "tech savvy" as building computers is a hobby we share. We'd appreciate any help you can give us. Sorry for the lengthy post.

nu2droid

Reaction score
Use Pete's one click root from the pc. It will install the files for root. Download safestrap from hashcodes blog.
I'd suggest using the tbh wireless hack -it will survive flashing roms.
Between here and xda you can find the files and / or links to the files.

Sent from my DROID3

nu2droid

Reaction score
You don't HAVE to use pc to download roms. Some people have experienced corrupt dl's when doing it straight from the phone. Personally, I have never had that problem.

But you do need pc for rooting and tether hack.

Good luck

Sent from my DROID3

anthony_rada

Reaction score
Not once have I download roms from my computer I always use my phone browser. Just make sure he has a strong wi-fi signal. And hes will be good to go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums