Wont connect to internet, no 3G

AubreyPage

Reaction score
I have hed my new Thunderbolt for two days. 6 hours after I authorized it, I was checking the Wireless and network settings in Mobile Network and Mobile Networks. I did not change anything, just looking. Later, it would not connect to the internet (no 3G). The text below the Mobile networks option says, "Connection failed". The box is checked. It no longer displays 3G or even 1X on the display on the top of the home screen. I called Verizon tech support and the level 2 technician checked all of my settings and said I could either do a master resset and lose all by setup (contacts and email account creation) or wait 24 to 48 hours and the phone would correct itself. He said this was a known issue.

I have waited 24 hours with the phone on just sitting on the counter and there is no change, no 3G service (I am in a 3G area, no 4G).

Is this a common problem? Is there a fix that does not involve a master reset?

If this is covered elsewhere, excuse me but i did look.

OP
A

AubreyPage

Reaction score
Does not connect to the internet

OK, I got tired of waiting for the thing to "Fix" itself as Verizon said it would and took things into my own hands. I did a hard reset. After it powered up and went through the setup steps, my contacts had been restored (through Verizon Backup assistant) and my apps were still there. I had to restore my email settings but that's about it. The 3G icon is back and the phone now connects to the internet.

I hope this is not a regular thing.

vzwtek

Reaction score
Dont let the battery die, keep it alive and use the restart connections app from the market if it does, alot of forums are having luck with that application.

OP
A

AubreyPage

Reaction score
My phone lost 3G again about 6 hours after I got it back as in the above post. The Restore Connections app did not help. Removing the battery with the device powered did however restore 3G service again.

This is unacceptable.

vzwtek

Reaction score
I can definitely see how frustrating it can be. Make sure to call customer service and have them put a note on the account that you have lost 3g again. If it keeps happening, then Verizon should be held liable for not performing the agreed to services in their contractual agreement. I'm not saying not ETF, but no restocking fee for return if its noted like that.

SubMatrix

Reaction score
Something similar to this sometimes happens with my Incredible. Often, turning on airplane mode and then turning it back off again works, the reason being that turning off airplane mode forces the phone to reestablish network connections.

Not sure if itd work on the Thunderbolt but its worth a try.

msean

Reaction score
Have Same Problem

Is this a common problem? Is there a fix that does not involve a master reset?

If this is covered elsewhere, excuse me but i did look.

I have the same problem periodically and the Verizon store told me to pull the battery about once a week. So far its worked every time.

Doxsi48

Reaction score
I have droid 1 and nothing helps... i can't connect to 3G... :/

Sent from my Milestone using Droid Forums