Woman Refuses To Give Up Smartphone to Robber and Gets Shot

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is why I carry a gun, every day, everywhere I go. My phone isn't worth dying for, but I have no guarantee that the robber won't shoot me anyway once he gets what he wants. Dead people can't identify him in a police lineup later, you know?

Once someone pulls a weapon on you, it is no longer about the phone, or your wallet. Your life is on the line, and that is all that matters. You owe it to yourself to do whatever is necessary to make it out alive, and if that means pulling your weapon and blowing him away, so be it. His choice, his fault.

I will never be a victim so long as I have the means. My concealed carry permit is honored in 26 states, and we have stand your ground laws in most of them. Criminals beware...

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if by chance you did kill him, your at fault as you were no longer in danger.
Nah, it's your word against nobody. That's why when you take concealed weapons class they always tell you that if you plan on using your gun, you better be ready to kill em. Example: George Zimmerman case.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Totally agree.

wtf is wrong with some of you?
"Don't be a victim, fight for your PHONE?!?!?!"
Y'know everyone tosses that $650 number around but let's be serious. MOST people pay $200 for a phone OR EVEN LESSS.

So when my 4 year old asks mommy "where's daddy?"...
"Being your daddy wasn't worth as much as his $200 phone....."

His gun is out. He wants your phone that is in your hand. You're really going to go all Wyatt Earp and try to get your gun out, point it at him and shoot before he can simply pull the trigger? BS.
So you risk your life... possibly the lives of people nearby... for $200. It is not a VICTIM SOCIETY when someone choose the SMART option over a GD shootout over a $200 PHONE.

"Gimmee your phone" Gun pointed at me...
"You sure about this???"
"Yea yea, give it to me or I shoot you"
"Here ya go....." Hand him phone....
THEN as he's running away, I pull out my gun and shoot the bastard. Not to kill either because I want to see the look in his eyes when I snatch my phone back out of his hand.

that's the problem though, they expect us to do just that, lay down and give in. Criminals know they can get away with it because most people will just give in. There's also a majority of criminals who don't have the guts or knowledge to either a. kill someone or b. actually hit them when they pull the trigger, this story is a perfect example of the latter.

Also you'd need him to turn around, shooting someone in the back is never a good idea.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a feeling this story would generate great discussion! It seems to me that both sides make some very valid points. I think that it ultimately comes down to the specific situation you are in. It's easy to be an "arm-chair" vigilante when just discussing it on the internet, but a real-world situation like this is probably very different for most.

I definitely do not advocate having a victim mentality; however, I also think what she did was not "fighting back." She literally said she crouched down and prepared to get shot. That seems like a perfect example of letting herself be victimized even further than was necessary in the situation.

Ultimately, it just seems ludicrous to me that anyone would ever consider losing their life for an electronic super-toy. For this particular person, in her situation, she should have simply given up the phone.

However, if you are someone who legally carries a weapon and are trained to use it properly and in a legal manner, then I concur with the folks who suggest giving up the phone and then making a "citizen's arrest" when the perpetrator attempts to leave the scene.

Unarmed and untrained citizens should simply hand it over and try to remember details about the thief to share with the cops later. Also, using those apps that help secure and/or track your phone in case of loss or theft is a great idea too.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is why I carry a gun, every day, everywhere I go. My phone isn't worth dying for, but I have no guarantee that the robber won't shoot me anyway once he gets what he wants. Dead people can't identify him in a police lineup later, you know?

Once someone pulls a weapon on you, it is no longer about the phone, or your wallet. Your life is on the line, and that is all that matters. You owe it to yourself to do whatever is necessary to make it out alive, and if that means pulling your weapon and blowing him away, so be it. His choice, his fault.

I will never be a victim so long as I have the means. My concealed carry permit is honored in 26 states, and we have stand your ground laws in most of them. Criminals beware...

Once again, you are putting yourself in more danger by attempting to pull out a gun, when they already have one pointed at you. We have too many Billy The Kid's around here.

As someone else mentioned, I too, am neutral in the gun battle. If you have the opportunity to save a life, by all means, do it, but in the situation at hand, a gun is already pointed at you and you're only bringing more harm to yourself and everyone around you by pulling a gun with one already pointed at you.

Personally, if I were with you and we were stuck in a robbery with a gun pointed at us, I would be highly upset if you attempted to pull a gun on him. I'm willing to play the odds, because statistically, they usually aren't there to harm you.

Nah, it's your word against nobody. That's why when you take concealed weapons class they always tell you that if you plan on using your gun, you better be ready to kill em. Example: George Zimmerman case.

He wouldn't get away with it. There will be a bullet hole in their back, which indicates offense, not defense.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Totally agree.

wtf is wrong with some of you?
"Don't be a victim, fight for your PHONE?!?!?!"
Y'know everyone tosses that $650 number around but let's be serious. MOST people pay $200 for a phone OR EVEN LESSS.

So when my 4 year old asks mommy "where's daddy?"...
"Being your daddy wasn't worth as much as his $200 phone....."

His gun is out. He wants your phone that is in your hand. You're really going to go all Wyatt Earp and try to get your gun out, point it at him and shoot before he can simply pull the trigger? BS.
So you risk your life... possibly the lives of people nearby... for $200. It is not a VICTIM SOCIETY when someone choose the SMART option over a GD shootout over a $200 PHONE.

"Gimmee your phone" Gun pointed at me...
"You sure about this???"
"Yea yea, give it to me or I shoot you"
"Here ya go....." Hand him phone....
THEN as he's running away, I pull out my gun and shoot the bastard. Not to kill either because I want to see the look in his eyes when I snatch my phone back out of his hand.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Some of you are crazy. . . Or just dumb. . . I can't decide. If someone is pointing a gun at you, you probably don't have time to pull your piece. You're not Clint Eastwood. Not to mention, basic self-defense wouldn't help you. It's a gun. . . Pointed at you. Your basic self-defense course at your local community center didn't quite prepare you for this. Ask any professional, physical or mental, and they'll all agree that you should cooperate, especially in this situation.

Do you really think she thought he would really try and kill her over a phone? I doubt it, but it's proof that sometimes, you're just lucky. But, why test the waters? It's replaceable, you're not.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2
I think here, you're dead wrong.. Any experienced martial artist (not a person with a few years of experience, a competent and knowledgeable person) will tell you to evaluate the situation and act as you are able... Period.. I didn't say anything about a "basic" self defense class.. Because let me tell ya as a martial arts instructor... Weapons and mass attacks are advanced techniques..

I'll also tell you this.. It doesn't matter what belt color or level a person might atain.. The people that are able to defend against a gun successfully, are those who have trained and practiced it in such a way that its as close to real world combat, as it can get.

If you want to say... Oh.. There's a gun.. That person can do whatever they like.. Well.. Thats your way..

I personally have trained over half my life, just for these situations. I've been on the wrong end of a gun a few different times.. And let me tell ya.. If a person has a gun.. You better assume they intend to kill... Because if you're unwilling to act, or unable.. They could kill you at any time.. Even by accident (misfire or nervous shaking of their hand)

Standing idly by with a gun pointed at me... Is not anything I'll ever do..

You're thinking that they will just go away if you give them what they're after.. And yes, sometimes that is what happens.. But there are other times where the person will kill anyway.

Its a matter of perspective.. Mine is that if you point a gun at me.. One of us will die, and with every fiber of my being, i intend to make damn sure it's not myself or my loved ones.

If anything.. The phone adds to my ability to close the gap, and aids as a distraction...

I've been on the wrong end of a gun, the worst time, i was 15 feet away and let me tell you.. It was a sinking feeling.. A 5 foot wide area, no place to fade(fall back).. An alarm going off, gave me an opening.. This event, drilled into my skull.. That you can't just assume that criminals with guns will just take what they want and leave.. I hope nobody finds themselves in a situation like that.. But if you do.. It will forever change things for you.. Thankfully for me.. I had training and a hell of a lot of luck on my side.

IMHO.. Until you've been there... You don't know what you can/can't do.. There are scenarios where the only outcome is dying.. Our highest trained warriors die from things out of their control... Sometimes you can do everything right and still get your ticket punched.

Sometimes a nervous gun man can freak out and a simple snatch and grab can turn into a triple homicide.. Ya just never know.

Last edited: