Woman Refuses To Give Up Smartphone to Robber and Gets Shot

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
woman-shot-over-smartphone.png

Although this woman lived to tell the tale of being shot by a robber trying to take her smartphone (and she even kept the phone), this is still something she shouldn't brag about. An anonymous resident in Houston, TX was robbed at gun-point for her Samsung Galaxy phone, but refused to give it up. The attacker told her he would shoot her if she didn't give it to him, and that's exactly what he did.

Somehow, fate was on her side in that moment. She crouched down, preparing to be shot, and the bullet only grazed the top-back of her head, which ultimately required a staple. Her friend heard the shot and let her in the door, where they were able to get the door shut before the robber could gain entry. Here's a quote with the details and her statements,

She said: "He was like, hey, let me get that phone. I was like, I'm not giving you my phone sir. He's like, I'm going to shoot you, so I put my hands up."

She says she crouched down and prepared to be shot. Could a phone really be worth this risk?

She explained: "I looked down the barrel and was like no please don't shoot me." He shot her. Luckily, the bullet grazed her head, rather than doing more serious damage.

Her friend heard the shot and opened the door. Courtney managed to get inside before the robber could follow her.

She was taken to hospital, where doctors stapled her wound.

"I almost lost my life on a $700 phone," she said. "I don't get it."

That last thing she said is a great example of "no truer words were ever spoken." She really, really doesn't get it. "Stuff" is not worth your life. What do you think? Would you have done the same thing in her shoes or been a bit more sensible?

Source: CNET

swc2001

Reaction score
Well I work in Houston..... If I ever run into him or someone like him, I will gladly hand him over my phone. Right after that I will shoot him when he leaves! I never leave the House without my Glock 27!
The thief is Lucky it didn't go down that way. Alot of us Texans Pack heat these days!!
I have personally Stopped a thief and a guy who pulled a knife. I will Always Carry!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No material object is worth my life. A phone can be locked and wiped remotely to protect my information and a new one can be purchased.

I just find it amazing that this woman would trade her life for her smartphone, that's insane to me.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is it completely terrible of me to be picturing Delia Reese from Harlem Nights being carried off on a stretcher crying: "I can't believe he shot me in my pinky toe!"??

I'm a bad person.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd give them the phone quickly, go to the police station and use their computer to open Android Lost app in the phone so they could track the (insert favorite expletive or derogatory adjective here).

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
Wow. She crouched down waiting to be shot rather than give up her phone? What good did she think that phone was going to be to her if she was dead? Crazy.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
What's really sad, and has said it yet, is that other humans think taking a human life is worth a few hundred dollars. People are complex and the meaning of life itself may very well be a question we can never answer as a mortal species.

Then you have human beings such as this, that would take all of that away for an imaginary bartering system we've used to attached a numerical worth to one another.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Wow. She crouched down waiting to be shot rather than give up her phone? What good did she think that phone was going to be to her if she was dead? Crazy.

She didn't think he'd actually do it. Which... in this day and age is a pretty awful assumption to make.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Bottom line.. You just don't risk your life for a phone or any possession you may have with you.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My opinion... Say sure... You can have it.. Step closer to give it to them and smash the phone across their temple... And knock the gun away at the same time..

But if you don't have training.. Just give up the phone.. Your life is worth more than 700$...

swc2001

Reaction score
Again this is Houston!!! Most of us carry Guns! This Punk was VERY LUCKY!! If he keeps trying to steal phones..... or whatever... Most likey he is going to end up shot himself!.
Throw the phone one way you run the other..... "theif is now confused" Get out your gun and shoot thief in confusion!! Done Deal!!!!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bottom line.. You just don't risk your life for a phone or any possession you may have with you.

Weird how we've turned into a victim society. This is how 9/11 came about. If more people stood up for themselves their would be less of this kind of crime.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
I'm glad it's not just me. If criminals had the notion that they would be on the receiving end of some physical harm, then I feel like we would have a lot fewer crimes.