Woke Up to Damaged SD Card

PearlMikeJam

Reaction score
I got up this morning and removed my Droid from the media dock. My Pure Calendar widget lost its skin, which happened the other day, so I went and applied the skin again. It flashed on the screen and then the skin was lost. I rebooted the phone and got the damaged SD Card error.

I have never removed the SD card and have roughly 4GB free. I took a couple of videos last night and did not have any issues. I know others have had this issue. Do we know what is causing it?

I have been unable to access the card on my PC by mounting it while in the phone. I will try a card reader tonight, but wanted to get others insight into this.

What is the best way to correct/prevent this? Should I use Windows to format the card or let the Droid do the format? I have seen others use Zero Assumption Data recovery to get the pics and vids off the damaged card. Is this the best way to recover anything on the card? Should I wait to format the card or is it inevitable and I will need to format and then use a recovery tool anyway?

Has anyone gotten VZW to replace the card? I am a week out of my 1 month return period and suspect I will be hassled if I ask for a new card. From what I have read, this is an Android issue across all phones, but am curious if new cards are correcting things.

Thanks in advance.

thelion

Reaction score
I offer no advice but I do come bearing sympathy.

Sucks. I wish you luck with VZW.

JamesX

Reaction score
The DROID it self still carries a 1 year warrentee. Not sure if that extends to the stock SD Card that comes with it. But if you didn't touch it and it just broke, then it should be considered Hardware Failure and not Wear and Tear.

josh

Reaction score
Any update on this? My card got corrupted, and I wasn't able to recover anything. I formatted it and it seems to work on the phone, but when I try to sync everything fails, and Windows reports that "there might be some problems with some files on this device or disk". If I try to use Windows to scan it turns off USB storage on the phone. Will I get anywhere taking it into a Verizon store? It seems like I need a new card.

lschicky

Reaction score
I've had this happen with one of the cards I used when I first got a smart phone (Palm Treo) I had to junk the card and get a new one. Thankfully that used a regular SD and I have plenty of those for my camera)

gruve

Reaction score
VZW should give you a new micro sd card for free. It's almost impossible to cause 'wear and tear' on your sd card as it's inside the phone. Memory goes bad, just like pc ram goes bad. Your phone is at the most 3 months old, it shouldn't go bad after that short period of time. If VZW gives you grief, I suggest raise h3ll until they leave you happy walking out the door. Good luck, keep us posted.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola media link allows you to sync your data and back it up on your pc......as far as your sd card i have no solution just hope things work out for you.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
I can't offer any advice other than go to the store. It should fall under hardware failure (manufacturer). Either they will give you a new microSD or a new DROID. Hope it works out well for you!

Wagner :motdroidvert:

kountryj

Reaction score
my old card did the same. just one day out of the blue it decided to not work for whatever reason. i called the store, they said take it to a technician in one of the stores like, 50 miles away. i took it to the local store instead and they just replaced the card with another one saying it was under warranty. so try the store and they may be able to help you out. i don't remember if i was still in my 30 days or not though, but it wouldn't hurt to try.