woe! still no Froyo

Frankie

Reaction score
It's been over 2 weeks since I got the "your Droid now has 2.2" message from Verizon. Is anyone else still not updated?

OP
Frankie

Frankie

Reaction score
Hello? Anyone? Bueller?

Is there anyone else out there who hasn't received Froyo OTA yet? Is it really supposed to take this long for VZW to upgrade me?

Alternately, is there anyone who installed the early-release radio upgrade (via recovery mode) in August, then received Froyo OTA successfully in September?

C

cdexsw

The file below is the same file you would get if you just waited for the Official Froyo OTA, and you'll have the exact same Froyo as everyone else, so there's no need to worry. Here's how it's done:

1] Download OTA file below
2] Rename it to update.zip
3] Copy it to the root (base directory) of your SD card. Don't put it in any folders, and don't put it on the internal memory.
4] Shut your phone off
5] While holding the volume down button, turn the phone back on.
6] In the white Bootloader screen, select recovery from the list.
7] In the recovery screen (the triangle with exclamation mark), press volume up and power. You'll go to the recovery menu.
8] In the recovery menu, select "apply sdcard:update.zip"

The phone will find the file, and when finished prompt you to reboot. Reboot via the menu, then patiently wait for the phone to reboot, and enjoy your Froyo when it's done.

Official OTA from Google Server

mauiblue

Reaction score
After I did get the OTA update over a month ago, a week or so later I did get a text message from Verizon saying that an OTA update was forthcoming. I think the text message was for the update I already had received as I didn't get any other update since.

OP
Frankie

Frankie

Reaction score
Help please

The file below is the same file you would get if you just waited for the Official Froyo OTA, and you'll have the exact same Froyo as everyone else, so there's no need to worry.

Didn't work. After step 8, it says:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

- Install from sdcard
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == verizon/inc/inc/inc:2.1-update/ERE27/161494:user/release-keys" || file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon_wwe/inc/inc/inc:2.2/FRF91/231334:user/release-keys"
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

kmo

Reaction score
Can't you just go to a VZW store and have them upload it for you? At least give them a call see what they have to say. Were you rooted before the OTA update came out? Doesn't make sense because I know people that have tried the manual update with success....

C

cdexsw

The file below is the same file you would get if you just waited for the Official Froyo OTA, and you'll have the exact same Froyo as everyone else, so there's no need to worry.

Didn't work. After step 8, it says:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

- Install from sdcard
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == verizon/inc/inc/inc:2.1-update/ERE27/161494:user/release-keys" || file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon_wwe/inc/inc/inc:2.2/FRF91/231334:user/release-keys"
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

and this is a "100% stock" HTC Droid Incredible? never been rooted?

the only time i have seen a "status 7 error" is after a phone has been rooted or the update.zip has been renamed wrong.

i just downloaded it and flashed it onto a 100% stock D'Inc with no problems from that link.

OP
Frankie

Frankie

Reaction score
C

cdexsw

The only unusual thing I've ever done to this phone is the Radio Update that was posted on this forum in August: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...uire-root.html (stopped at step 3, did not install or even download "unrevoked")

perform a manual reset. besure to back everything up as it will get erased. let the phone boot. put the update.zip (froyo) back on the sdcard. pull battery repeat steps above to manually flash the phone.

if the above does not work --> i would say the radio/baseband is the culprit. find the RUU or the original image for your phone and flash it to that. then install the Froyo Update on top of that.

otherwise go to the store as see if they can flash it froyo or figure something else out.

Last edited by a moderator:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I would say that you are correct about the radio being the issue. I have heard of several others getting rejected upgrades as a result. You will need to flash back to your original and then you will be able to accept the OTA.

OP
Frankie

Frankie

Reaction score
OK, I tried hard reset, but it doesn't revert the baseband version, so update.zip still refuses to work.

After reading the rest of the radio update thread, it turns out the safety claims of the former OTA were greatly exaggerated.

So now I'm looking at pb31img.zip to downgrade the radio. Other suggestions would be appreciated though.