With Froyo on the way, is now the time to root?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abean

Reaction score
First off, sorry, I have to assume this has been asked already, but I as many others out there, are completely new to the Droid world, and even more so to rooting.

With 2.2 due out next month, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you want to update to the official OTA 2.2 release, you'd have to unroot to get this update; thus rendering the root useless right? If so and I'm not misinterpreting this, do we then need to wait for the ability to root on 2.2, or will it be the same process over again, ie. can one go through the same root process on 2.2 that one did on 2.1?

Side note, going to 2.2 ... do all apps/settings/etc. remain preserved? Same question goes for rooting ... I guess I'm just wondering If I need to look into any backup software or anything.

Thanks in advance and again sorry If I'm re-posting something that everyone else has been asking.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the OTA will proceed as long as you have all stock apps there. you then will lose root

and the update is just installed over current OS. so yes all apps/settings will still be there

OP
A

abean

Reaction score
Thanks Abe. So once we get 2.2 OTA, will we still be able to use these one click root programs, or does the root process need to be re-developed?

Thanks again

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
im not positive about that since its the DX and not the droid.

chops

Reaction score
Hey welcome to the forums the search button is your friend but ill answer this one for you.You can be rooted it is completley fine the ota will unroot your phone for you the only way your phone will not get the ota is if you start deleteing the bloatware on the phone but there are ways for you to to get it back on the phone that i will leavefor you to do a search for then there is themeing thephone that is fun also remember search button equals good times!!!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you are here to be disrespectful or cause trouble, keep in mind, it won't be tolerated

Last edited by a moderator:

iojk9999

Reaction score
now two bosshogs? Just let abean ask his question without being nagged, and leave me alone as well.

tparker, I just got here. Me and you are equals here, get over it.

A crow is another type of troll that attacks under the guise of being proper. Think a middle aged women that gets her way, or chills others by saying things like "think of the children" making any refute as comming off as assaulting children. Are you going to tell me chops was 'only trying to help' abean? If so, you're a vetran crow too: abean, did you not know there a search box?

The chances of being on this board and not knowing about the search engine is basically nil, but you have chops, one of the new internet archtypes, acting like an ambassador, and authrority, and a 'nice guy' all at once. He's a crow.

If abean wants to use the search, he can. If he merely decides to ask instead of search, he can. Not only that, he's asking with timing that would help others. Short lived threads drop out of site quickly.

wannabe vetrans: please don't berate and patrol the noobs.

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nobody said we are not equal...I know we are, and our level of respect should be to, I am just letting you know (since you just got here) that telling people to "stfu" is not respectful and disrespect is not welcome here, on any level, from me or from you

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
now two bosshogs? Just let abean ask his question without being nagged, and leave me alone as well.

A crow is another type of troll that attacks under the guise of being proper. Think a middle aged women that gets her way, or chills others by saying things like "think of the children" making any refute as comming off as assaulting children. Are you going to tell me chops was 'only trying to help' abean? If so, you're a vetran crow too: abean, did you not know there a search box?

The chances of being on this board and not knowing about the search engine is basically nil, but you have chops, one of the new internet archtypes, acting like an ambassador, and authrority, and a 'nice guy' all at once. He's a crow.

If abean wants to use the search, he can. If he merely decides to ask instead of search, he can. Not only that, he's asking with timing that would help others. Short lived threads drop out of site quickly.

wannabe vetrans: please don't berate and patrol the noobs.

there is no need to act like that. tparker was right - saying stfu is disrespectful. chops was also trying to help, and mentioning the search is not doing anything wrong. We both answered his questions and u come in and troll the thread.

not taking sides but lets see: I answered his question. so did chops. tparker has done his fair share of offering support in many other threads. u have 8 posts and 2 are trolling.

I can tolerate noobs. thats what im here for: to help out. I dont need to tolerate trolls.

thank you for adding your two cents but you have contributed nothing to this thread.

Vinyl66

Reaction score
So just let me get this straight. I should just wait to root and remove bloatware till after the android froyo 2.2 update in September?

fwaggle

Reaction score
So just let me get this straight. I should just wait to root and remove bloatware till after the android froyo 2.2 update in September?

You should do whatever makes you feel good about your device.

Personally I jumped on the update, and I've had really good luck with it. If you follow the instructions carefully (don't get excited and race ahead potentially skipping something) you can keep root for this update. Hopefully they don't push out another update that clobbers all suid binaries that don't match a specific hash, because then we'll be waiting for someone to find an exploit in FroYo. :(

OP
A

abean

Reaction score
I'm still confused and at this time have just decided to wait until 2.2 is official and then come back to the topic. In regards to the back and forth between you guys in regards to forum etiquette and such, it was a good read that just made my awful day of work dealing with stupid developers much more tolerable, thanks.

And yes, I know there is a search button, but like the masses, I am lazy and was looking for a more specific answer.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm still confused and at this time have just decided to wait until 2.2 is official and then come back to the topic. In regards to the back and forth between you guys in regards to forum etiquette and such, it was a good read that just made my awful day of work dealing with stupid developers much more tolerable, thanks.

And yes, I know there is a search button, but like the masses, I am lazy and was looking for a more specific answer.

While we are here to help, responses like that surely are not going to win you any friends.

iojk9999 apparently you need a Mod to tell you to watch yourself. Consider yourself told. And I'm referring to your first and now deleted post in this thread.

Thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.