Wish I Could Set Up This Smart Action

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by RicKaysen, Feb 14, 2012.

1. RicKaysen

RicKaysen New Member

I leave the GPS radio turned off to conserve the battery. I just don't use Navigation very often. When I do, it would be nice if opening up the Nav app would automatically turn on GPS and turn it off when closed. And, yes, I do feel lazy.
  2. DocsDad

DocsDad New Member

Unless you have an "app" that is using GPS for location running in the background, I believe just turning off the Nav app drops GPS. It will not drain battery on its own.

Can I get a confirmation or correction on this from someone out there?
  3. Trash Can

Trash Can New Member

Yes, this is correct. The GPS is only on and active when needed by an app (nav, maps, etc).
  4. Zandar

Zandar New Member

Honestly, I found that I didn't save any appreciable battery with the GPS antenna turned off. All it did was make it take forever to get a lock those few times I turned it back on for navigation or maps. Just leave it on, in my opinion.

Sliced from my RAZR
  5. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree keep GPS on, off doesn't save any battery.
  6. Armeo

Armeo New Member

I'm not a 100% sure about this, but GPS might be used by some apps that use location services during background updates. For example, a weather app/widget. I keep mine off anyway, and turn it on whenever required, even though I have location services turned off for most of my apps (I just keep it fixed as my home city as I rarely travel).

As far as using a smart action for it is concerned, there's no trigger for applications. But if you navigate only when driving and use a car dock or a bluetooth device while driving, you could have it as a trigger to turn the GPS on. That way you won't have GPS on all the time, but if you ever need it while driving, you'll find it on.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  7. RicKaysen

RicKaysen New Member

It's good to know GPS doen't impact battery life very much, but when it's checked in settings, I assume it's on whether an app is using it or not.
  8. Crf450r420

Crf450r420 New Member

My other phones I left GPS on and used in many cases to activate other options that drain battery with Tasker. Like turning on and of wifi based on when I'm in a location where I know I have GPS. Never found GPS to use that much power, I of course turned the GPS check on tasker to every 10 mins.
Search tags for this page

android drive smartaction widget -google

does gps have to be on for weather on razr m

leave gps on or off on droid razr maxx

program smartaction to enable gps when i launch the maps app

smart actions leaving location still active