Wirelessly transfer files? Not BT.

82DMC12

Reaction score
My laptop doesn't have bluetooth. Is there another way to wirelessly transfer files from my phone to a computer, such as thru Wifi Tether? I'm rooted.

Thanks

lemodular

Reaction score
You can try:

1. Wifi File Transfer (I used to use this)
2. Wifi File Explore
3. ES File Explorer (Now I use this)

OP
82DMC12

82DMC12

Reaction score
https://market.android.com/details?id=org.swiftp&feature=search_result

Works great for me, I use the WIFI method, and setup a network location in windows.

Which client do you use on your computer to access the phone thru FTP? I am able to find and explore the phone directories and SD card thru internet explorer just fine. I downloaded WINSCP so that I can download and upload to the phone but I can't get it to connect via FTP.

I'm not a network admin kind of guy so any tips or setup info you can provide would be really helpful!

I would like to be able to transfer files to and from my laptop and my phone such as music or files from work.

Thanks!

moset

Reaction score
ES file explorer.
Just have to set the directories you want to share to share on your computer. No client required. Just enter the address in ES for your router probably 192.168.1.?
? Replaced with 2 or 3 etc. depending on what your router assigns to your computer.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
82DMC12

82DMC12

Reaction score
RD file explorer? Can't find that in the market.

I know what my router's IP address is, but what would I put for the user and password in ES? And am I supposed to be setting up an FTP connection?

moset

Reaction score
No, LAN.
Nothing else required in server settings unless you set up security. Check anonymous if its open.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

senate9690

Reaction score

Works great for me, I use the WIFI method, and setup a network location in windows.

Which client do you use on your computer to access the phone thru FTP? I am able to find and explore the phone directories and SD card thru internet explorer just fine. I downloaded WINSCP so that I can download and upload to the phone but I can't get it to connect via FTP.

I'm not a network admin kind of guy so any tips or setup info you can provide would be really helpful!

I would like to be able to transfer files to and from my laptop and my phone such as music or files from work.

Thanks!

Open up Computer, right click on an empty space in the window and choose "Add a network location", then press next. If the "Connect to the internet" windows pops up close it, and behind it should be the "Add Network Location box". Click the "choose custom" blah blah box and click next. Enter the information that SwiFTP gives you in the box should be something like this:: " ftp://USERNAME:[email protected]:2121 " then click finish and you'll have an icon in computer that you can name droid. Then all you have to do is turn on SwiFTP and click that icon, and wirelessly drag and drop files.

OP
82DMC12

82DMC12

Reaction score

Thanks!

Open up Computer, right click on an empty space in the window and choose "Add a network location", then press next. If the "Connect to the internet" windows pops up close it, and behind it should be the "Add Network Location box". Click the "choose custom" blah blah box and click next. Enter the information that SwiFTP gives you in the box should be something like this:: " ftp://USERNAME:[email protected]:2121 " then click finish and you'll have an icon in computer that you can name droid. Then all you have to do is turn on SwiFTP and click that icon, and wirelessly drag and drop files.

Thanks for the detailed response! That worked perfectly! Just another reason to love my Droid!

dAi

Reaction score
Samba app

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
My laptop doesn't have bluetooth. Is there another way to wirelessly transfer files from my phone to a computer, such as thru Wifi Tether?
Not via tethering but you can certainly transfer files via WiFi. Just set up the shares with proper permissions on your computer. Most file managers will allow you to connect to network shares.

Snow02

Reaction score
Es file explorer has a very easy to use file sharing implementation. It will automatically detect smb (windows) shares on your network.